Which GPS to buy MUST be able to use lat & long entries

plumbersvan

:-S Given up with tom tom new & unused

To enjoy drifting along i need a GPS that will find the way to stops for which i only have lat & long numbers no address post code nor town,Spain and Portugal have many campings which are several miles outside villages,while its possible to ask the way when people are about arriving later than 20.00 will find the village empty

Has anyone had or bought a new GPS for christmas?If so has it been tried and tested?Will it accept lat & long writen in decimel that is 04.123456 45.123456

If so which modle do you have?

I expect/hope Garmin have GPS that uses lat/long dont they????

All advice welcome

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fiona, I now realise you are in France and cant get to Halfords!!

It may be possible to download some POI files to your current Tomtom which will help you navigate to places just by touching the appropriate POI.

What 'general' category do the places you are trying to get to on your list fall into? Are they ACSI sites or other?

Loading the whole ACSI file into your Tomtom should take just a few minutes and you will be able to navigate to any of these easily.

You can then sort out the exchange of your unit on your return - although I would call Halfords and give them some serious grief.

Good luck with the fanbelt!!

Bojitoes - 2012-01-23 12:49 PM

How come your tom tom wont do the decimal GPS? Have you tried the latitude / longditude icon on the second page after you touch navigate to?

Bob

On her other post, fiona describes how she has been sold a model that doesnt have the lat/long icon - apparently there are a few Tomtom models missing this.

For the benefit of anyone who hasn't followed Fiona's other thread on Lat and Long input missing on her Tom Tom I found out that if you have the "Two button" welcome screen then you are very unlikely to be able to input Lat and Long :-(

Apparently TT felt it was a feature that few people used and so deleted it with their 'Easy Menu'.

Keith.

Edit. And YES I've got one :$

So its not just mine then?Even the pfd says it ought to have lat/long button

To navigate by map is impossiable its far to vauge and covered with small signs that blot out what there is of the map

How can i enter an address when there isnt one,for example i camping the French online club that had a pfd listing aires lists for example "Dole" gives the dept which is 70(i think) then lat/long comments images and icons listing service cost if any

How can i enter "Dole" "Paris" it may find Paris but how to enter a destination when i only have an image and GPS coordinate (?)

I shall put it in the bin and buy one that works its far to long to return even 300kms north that would be 300kms return & the same to start again from hear 600kms at 10 liters per hundred is about what the tom tom cost

Which garmin is best one that works well and has GPS

Edit to go on incase they off the wifi again(macdo

Tom tom may have once been the best but now its useless the screen is very unclear when looking for somewhere to go and to cluttered with icons

I think tom tom should give them away free with so much advertising garages i would never use shops no one would use unless theres no other choise No leclearce no darty nothing just endless spam.

I need leclearce to change my gas bottel with Garmin it will eventualy tell me if im near one not this tom tom

IF you need a new gps DONT BUY TOM TOM its USELESS

Guest Tracker

I've had TomTom sat navs for over 6 years now and I've never had one that will not take lat and long and I've never had one that has failed to work - perhaps you are just unlucky?

To alter the lat and long input you just need to go to the 'change preferences' page, then 'Set Units' and scroll through setting what you want along the way.

To input lat and long to navigate to tap onto 'Navigate to' and scroll through to and tap on 'latitude and longitude'

If you have too many labels on the map maybe you need to reduce all or some of the POIs. To do this tap on 'change preferences' then 'show POI on map' and uncheck any you don't want - (in my case all of 'em as we don't find any of 'em any use!)

Does this help?

Mine dosnt have "navigate to" it just dosnt exist on the new tom tom

I can go "home" to a POI or and address THAT IT

Worse the keyboard has . , - _ when i choose the" dot" i get a dash tom tom havnt even deleated the useful items fully just canceled them Its shocking

If you or anyone else has a working tom tom look after it the next is not worth having it really is like a cheep offer given away as its full of advertising and spam

If you have a chance try a tom tom 2012 you will be amazed how awful it is,Having tried one if i saw one for free and didnt have one i wouldnt take it,its a wast of time like TV sit watching it in the hope somthing good will arrive 8-)

Tracker - 2012-01-23 4:34 PM

I've had TomTom sat navs for over 6 years now and I've never had one that will not take lat and long...

Tracker,

Last year (or maybe 2010) Tom Tom introduced it's 'Easy Menu' to remove a lot of menu options and, in it's view, make setting up and using TT easier. Unfortunately it appears one of the menu options they removed was the ability to input Lat and Long.

If anyone is planning on buying a new TT DO NOT BUY one with the 'Easy Menu'. This is easily identifiable as having a Two Button welcome screen with a row of smaller options below, as in the picture below...

Keith.

TTEM.jpg.84b9d9192f94972b341f85cea55f4051.jpg

Guest Tracker

Thanks for that Keith - I'm gobsmacked that TT should remove such a basic function and whereas I was considering buying a new one rather than getting a rather expensive map update after 5 years I don't think I'll bother with either! I always find my way OK even when the roads on the satnav disappear because they always reappear sooner or later!

Progress eh - doncha just love it!

Hi all, not posted for a while, so hello again.

Have had Tom Tom and Garmin also Medion from Aldi ( the first ever offer they did) Still working.

I bought a Garmin a year ago and found it excellent for blindly following instructions. I say that because you have no idea where you are as town names seldom display. The maps are very poor to view.

Tom Tom are much better in this area but ongoing costs are excessive.

Both these have been discarded and I returned to my faithful Medion. It's so old I couldn't get map updates. This is a problem in France because as you all know, they have changed the road numbers.

I have purchased a Medion P5455 direct from the Medion website. I spoke to them in England ordered online and the sat nav arrived efficiently from Germany in 3 days.

It is superb for me with many ways to enter your destination. coordinates can be entered in either decimal or degree notation. Lifetime traffic as standard and lane guidance too.

The maps are super rich and look just like an atlas view.

The best bit for me is the 2D or 3D display which they call cruise mode. just a good map view with your current location. Excellent to accompany you on long journeys where you don't need directions.

If you don't need or wish to pay for Tom Tom "live" traffic, the Medion is an excellent all rounder.

Just type "medion gopal" into google to see the specs and prices.

Oh the downside is that custom POI's are not easy to enter.

Bob

Guest Tracker
I regularly update my tomtom maps online for free on the TT website and all the French road numbers were OK last year, but it does not update new roads etc for free. I can live with that!

It seems incredible that Tom-Tom are selling GPS devices which cannot accept GPS data :-S

I have just looked at the Tom-Tom website and their product list to see which models can take GPS co-ords and which cannot. Perhaps I am not looking in the right place(s), but I cannot find any mention of the presence, or absence of this feature on any given unit.

We use co-ords all the time to find Aires etc and without the feature our TT 730 would be staying in its box.

This story is giving me a bad taste in the mouth, it smacks of deceit on the part of Tom-Tom >:-)

I guess it's a sigb of the times.

Firstly Tom Tom did away with external memory option & limited internal memory.

So loading updates meant that the internal memory capacity could not accomodate the update = they sell a new Sat Nav & keep the new unit business rolling along.

Now Lat & Long co-ordinates can no longer be input on some models.= dumbing down the product, but maintain previous price levels = maintain or increase profit margins in a deminishing market.

Looks likely they will concentate future business development for i-Phone apps, for a continuous subscription income stream.

Me cynical - yeh maybe >:-(

flicka - 2012-01-23 9:59 PM

I guess it's a sigb of the times.

Firstly Tom Tom did away with external memory option & limited internal memory.

So loading updates meant that the internal memory capacity could not accomodate the update = they sell a new Sat Nav & keep the new unit business rolling along.

Now Lat & Long co-ordinates can no longer be input on some models.= dumbing down the product, but maintain previous price levels = maintain or increase profit margins in a deminishing market.

Looks likely they will concentate future business development for i-Phone apps, for a continuous subscription income stream.

Me cynical - yeh maybe >:-(

I have a ViaLive125, so a recent model, it has 4gb internal memory, SD card slot, and full menu including lat/long.

TomTom seem to market a range of devises for most needs, BUT, they and the retailers don't seem to fully explain to customers what they will be getting, this I found out when buying an XXL, when loading the update for full european maps it failed as file was to big, this was returned as being unsuitable for trans europe travel without the further purchase of a laptop.

My main critisium of the ViaLive would be the lousy update procedure.

plumbersvan - 2012-01-23 4:50 PM

Worse the keyboard has . , - _ when i choose the" dot" i get a dash tom tom havnt even deleated the useful items fully just canceled them Its shocking

If you or anyone else has a working tom tom look after it the next is not worth having it really is like a cheep offer given away as its full of advertising and spam

If you have a chance try a tom tom 2012 you will be amazed how awful it is,Having tried one if i saw one for free and didnt have one i wouldnt take it,its a wast of time like TV sit watching it in the hope somthing good will arrive 8-)

Just wondering what model TomTom you have...

I have a 910, bought in 2010, and is overall an excellent product, though I do have trouble in downloading map updates - this might be due to a very slow mobile dongle speed, but it seems to be a rather elongated process.

However, this model gives options of how the co-ordinates are to be displayed on one of the set up screens, and I've never found any problems with this,in fact it's very useful , as Postcodes in France are far from accurate in finding sites/aires.

Do the OP's comments mean they have just introduced cheaper models with less functions, or is this the way for the future - I would hate to think the latter, as surely the need is there to accurately pinpoint the destination.

One thing I have found useful in terms of co-ordinates is that when arriving at a site, if I think I might want to go there again, to go into the 'help/ where am I' screen, it will show lat/long and this can then be saved as a POI.

plumbersvan - 2012-01-23 4:50 PM

If you are stuck with this Sat Nav for a while then I say again....

What is the general category of site/aire you wish to have the locations for?

Someone on this forum can get you POI files for Aires, Stellplaz, ACSI sites etc so that you can load them onto your TomTom and remove the need to padantically enter lat/long (which you cant do) or postcodes (which are inaccurate).

I spent time with the tom tom yesterday

I can remove any file or all files leaving the tom tom just an empty memory card :-D

I would very much like a link to an older tom tom XL/XXL/one which has all the tom tom files found on tom tom.Then i can change /add the lat-long system

OR i can remove all my files add all the files from an earlier tom tom then remove the map file and replace with my new map file ditto radar warnings they can all be removed transfered updated

Dose anyone have a working link to the old tom tom (?) *-)

If anyone has such a tom tom once the files are copied to another drive the poi file can be emptied if you dont want you pois seen then the files could be uploaded to----- (?) (?) *-) *-) I havnt got that far yet as i only have mac do or a station buffet to get online and both are unreliable both might fail in mid download with data lost 8-)

Tommorow i will collect a fan belt *-) seems this media tech is closed tommorow i will make a protable firefox or chrome USB drive

connection closing have to go re log on

If you decide to buy a Garmin then help is available here to download POI's More help is on this forum by searching for 'poi' and either 'Tom Tom' or 'Garmin'.

If you have a Tom Tom list of POI's you wish to use with another Tom Tom, you should be able to copy the files to your lap top and then again to the recipient folder using your USB leads. similarly with transfers Garmin to Garmin BUT do not mix and match.

You seem hell bent ot trying to change this Tomtom into one it is not.

If you mess with the operating system will you be able to revert to the current position when you return it to Halfords or have yo abandoned this idea?

Why not just add the appropriate POI files for ACSI, Aires, stellplatz etc so that you can actually use this model by navigating to POI or point on map.

I was baffled as to why you had a problem using navigate to place on map. You can zoom in easily far enough to be able to pinpoint the exact street corner you wish to go to.

Archived