trumatic C3400

goosegreen

The manuals don't appear to be available on the Truma website (there used to be an option for the historic ones, but I can't spot it).

I do, however, have a pdf copy of the manual for a C3402 (from 2004), which may help you out.

It should just about be small enough for me to email it to you if you PM me an email address.

Hi Goosegreen and welcome to the forum,

You can get an instruction manual from the Truma website Link and an exploded view from the LeisureShopDirect website Link.

Hope this helps,

Keith.

PS It may help with any future questions if you could post your make/model of MH in the 'Location' field thru' the control panel.

That is puzzling. Can you explain in a bit more detail what it is you are trying to find out, and what makes you think the Truma C3400 information is not relevant to your unit? I'm no expert on these, although reasonably familiar with their operation in principle, but I doubt they could be modified in any significant way and be left safe to use.

The C-3400 and C-6000 appliances were the original series in Truma's range of 'combination' air/water heaters. They were marketed from mid-1994 to mid-1997, either in gas-only format or in gas + a 230V water-heating capability.

The design of the a C-3400 differs significantly from that of the C-3402 appliance that superseded it (This should be apparent from the relevant pictures shown here)

http://dealer.truma.com/_anweisungen/Truma-Katalog/gb/trumatic_c/trumatic_c.html

I just happen to have a 1996 copy of "Which Motorcaravan" that includes a test-report on Pilote's Galaxy G27 and this confirms that (at that time) a Truma C-3400 was fitted to that model. Having once translated a Pilote Owner's Manual, it's likely that a G27 manual will provide only basic information about the heater.

The C-3400 was before my motorcaravanning time, but I recall seeing a sectioned version when I visited Truma(UK)'s HQ in 2000. If I remember correctly, unlike later C-Series heaters, a C-3400 MUST NOT BE RUN EMPTY OF WATER or its water-vessel will be damaged.

The construction of a C-3400 was less 'modular' than follow-up Truma combination heaters and made repair much trickier. In 2000, only 3 years after production of the C-3400/C-6000 range had ceased, Truma was already tending to consider mildly damaged C-3400/C-6000 appliances as being beyond economic repair and was offering owners of such heaters a replacement C-3402/C-6002 at a heavily discounted price. That a C-3400 heater can have a long lifespan is evident from Jon's example, but it's nevertheless a caveat worth bearing in mind.

As Robinhood says, it used to be possible to download from the Truma website Installation/Operating Instructions for out-of-production equipment. The option is still offered (see the link I gave above), but no longer seems to work.

I suggest that Jon get in touch with the technical staff at Truma(UK) and ask if they still have Installation/Operating documentation for a C-3400. Contact details are below:

http://loginuk.truma.com/dealers/buytrumaproducts.asp

Service and Technical

Tel: 01283 586020

Fax: 01283 586029

Email: technical@trumauk.com

(If Jon decides to do this, it would be worth him mentioning that the download capability on Truma's website no longer functions, just in case Truma doesn't know!)

Derek Uzzell - 2012-01-24 8:24 AM......................................As Robinhood says, it used to be possible to download from the Truma website Installation/Operating Instructions for out-of-production equipment. The option is still offered (see the link I gave above), but no longer seems to work....................

A couple of further possibilities.

I have tried the C3400 download and it is OK. The .pdf appears as a pop-up, so, if you have a pop-up blocker on your computer, set it to temporarily accept pop-ups. You will probably first need to set "language" beside the C3400 on you link to GB-English to trigger the blocker, then set the blocker to accept pop-ups, and then re-select Language GB-English, and it should the commence downloading - at least it did for me! :-)

In view if this - "In 2000, only 3 years after production of the C-3400/C-6000 range had ceased, Truma was already tending to consider mildly damaged C-3400/C-6000 appliances as being beyond economic repair and was offering owners of such heaters a replacement C-3402/C-6002 at a heavily discounted price." - I just wonder if this may have happened in Jon's case, and what his van now has may be a C3402. If so, that might explain why he apparently can't reconcile what he has with his manual, or any other manuals he can access. Possible?

For the C3400, the only warning against operation without water, is for the versions fitted with the electrical water heating element.

The Truma manual says: "In the standard models operation is also possible without water contents. In the special version with electric heating 230V the appliance is only to be operated in "Summer operation" with water (this applies to both gas and electric operation".

Brian

Well diagnosed - I had a pop-up blocker turned on.

Reading Jon's earlier postings (particularly his reply to Keih's LesisureShopDirect-related suggestion) I get the impression it's the other way round - that Jon has been able to access documentation/diagrams for a C-3402, but these don't reconcile with the heater installed in his Pilote G27. Whatever his heater is (C-3400 or a later model) Jon should be able to get appropriate Installation/Operating Instructions for it via the Truma website.

Whatever Truma's Operating Instructions say about running whatever model of heater Jon has, those are the instructions he should follow.

I notice that the Operating Instructions for the later C-3402 do not appear to contain the ' no empty-of-water summer operation' warning, but I don't know if that's significant. It's possible that a C-3400 (EL) did not use the external 230V 'heating collar' employed on the C-3402 and had its heating element integrated into the water vessel (as was the case with Atwood's Confort 3 combination air/water heater) but that's just a guess. I just recalled there was a warning about not running a C-3400 dry.

Yes, that's definitely a C-3400.

It should be evident from the diagram that the C-3400's multi-section water-vessel's design is very different to a C3402's and - as I guessed - 230V water-heating is via an internal 'kettle element' (parts-assemblage 64 on right of diagram).

According to Truma(UK), what made the C-3400 potentially very expensive to repair was the complexity and cost of its water-vessel. While not cheap, a C-3402's single-piece water-vessel was relatively simple to remove and replace (I needed to have one replaced on my first motorhome), but the cost of a C-3400's water-vessel, and the work involved in removing/replacing it, meant that it could be preferable to junk the C-3400 and opt for a C-3402 instead.

Archived