Power Pack

Goldie

I intend replacing my present, inadequate power pack with a pack capable of starting my 2010 2.3 diesel campervan should I need to, though I run the engine for 20 minutes at 2.000 revs every fortnight, as it is stored inside and not easily accessible. I am considering either a Wurth, Snap-on 1700 or a Road Pro of similar capacity and would welcome any recommendations.

Guest Tracker

My experience of these things is not good as unless you get a really high power commercial type none of them will even start a car with a very flat battery let alone a van!

I have this Halfords one (bought when it was a lot cheaper and on special offer!) and it is OK if a car engine will almost turn over but not enough to fire but anything more flat and it is useless!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_180794_langId_-1_categoryId_255204

Alternatives?

Can you get your car close enough to jump start it?

Get a spare battery and jump leads but they will need to powerful enough to be usefull and light enough to be carryable?

Consider fitting a battery isolating switch under the bonnet but that might be impractical if you need to set the alarm in storage and there might be issues with the engine electronics if left disconnected?

Disconnect the leisure battery and use it with jump leads to start the engine - I've done this before! BUT and it is a big but you do need a well charged leisure battery to do this and they too go flat when left if not isolated!

If the van were stored outside you could consider a solar panel with split regulator to keep both batteries charged? Expensive solution though and no other benefit if you use sites and hook up when camping but very good if you are an Aire or rally type of casual camping user?

There may be other solutions I have not thought of and no doubt someone else will have another idea that might help?

Thanks for that Tracker. I don't anticipate having a flat battery unless we are isolated at home for 6 weeks as we were last year and had to call the recovery company as the battery was dead flat, even though the vehicle is stored inside from October-March. I'm looking for the simplest way to start the engine in case of a repeat situation. The Alto has a 'Shut Down' switch and that should help. Jump leads, even our 3.5 metre leads would be inconvenient, so a heafty and pricey booster power pack would be 'belt and braces.' We only use Club sites and possibly one show a year.

You have to differeniate between using a powerpack to help a slighthy discharged battery abd a completely flat battery.

In my experience the Halford types are only good when the vehicle battery is slightly down.

The power pack I had when connected to a dead battery simply melted its cables.

The standard Fiat battery in a 2.3l is a 95Ah 800A unit. So you need something of a similar capability to start a vehicle with a completely flat battery.

As Tracker says you will need to buy a commercial model like Ring to get reliable results.

http://www.ringautomotive.co.uk/product_list.asp?cat1=7&cat2=32&cat3=166&order=&records=2

Or you could just buy a spare starting battery, charge that at home and take it to the storage site and connect with short jump leads. Taking the battery back home after you have completed the exercise.

Guest Tracker

Mine has a 20ah battery and is kept charged, a fact endorsed by it 12.7v multimeter reading when charged, but it just is not man enough for a heavier diesel and I would suggest a 40 ah unit would be more beneficial - and a lot heavier as well as more expensive - which brings me back to maybe a 40ah+ car battery, a ctek charger to keep it in trim and a good pair of jump leads. You then also have the freedom to use each part elsewhere should the need arise.

I will say that a power pack does make a handy spare power source for when the leisure battery decides to give up the ghost at the most inconveient time - as long as you know how to connect it up without the leisure battery draining it!

You state your vehicle is stored indoors. Is there an electric supply there? If so why not connect a Charger to the vehicle. Or can you fit a solar panel and connect to the vehicle, that’s what I have done solar panel on the roof of my garage and connected to the cab battery keeps a trickle charge going to the battery. my son uses a CTEK charger connected to is M/home

Guest 1footinthegrave
Why not just remove the battery and take it home to keep it trickle charged now and again. Or even pull of the earth lead as most vehicles have some parasitic drain that will pull it down, or could be it's simply getting to end of life if it's not holding it's charge to well. But IMO you would do better to get your vehicle so organized as to be able to take it for a drive periodically, rather than let it stand for months, good for your batteries and everything else ;-)

Guest Tracker
Goldie - 2012-02-02 11:33 AM

I am considering either a Wurth, Snap-on 1700 or a Road Pro of similar capacity and would welcome any recommendations.

All well respected names but I think regardless of what amperage output they claim you need to know the battery ah (amp hours) as this determines how much electricty they can store and make available?

Also be aware that the quality and thickness of the clamps and the metal in the cables - preferably copper but can be aluminium on cheapies - will determine how much of that power can actually be used when connected.

A very high output from a small battery will not last many seconds and unless the van fires first time you may well be in trouble.

For that reason, as well as my own experience, I suggest a lot higher than a 20ah pack - but no doubt one of the experts will be along later to clarify!

Archived