Anti-Spray skirts

Merle

HI All, I've asolutely no intention of becoming embroiled in the 'A Frame' debates, but does any one have personal experience of the anti-spray brush type skirts seen being used when a toad is on the back. Do they work, stop the dreaded stone chips etc. Reports on American websites don't really help as they all seem to be towing 4x4's behind monster RV's, way out of my league! Merle

Merle, these work very well on HGV's. If you have ever followed one they keep most of the spray down on the road, you'll see the spray swirling around low down instead of being kicked up. The brush type what fix around the wheel arch also work well, but......and its a 'BIG' but, is that the water and crap lodge where they fit and don't dry out quickly, the crap stays moist for a long while and cause rot unless hosed out thoroughly (jet wash)

Dave

Merle - 2012-02-12 5:06 PM

HI All, I've asolutely no intention of becoming embroiled in the 'A Frame' debates, but does any one have personal experience of the anti-spray brush type skirts seen being used when a toad is on the back. Do they work, stop the dreaded stone chips etc. Reports on American websites don't really help as they all seem to be towing 4x4's behind monster RV's, way out of my league! Merle

I've been thinking of putting one of these on my van for some time as especially with the bike on the back it seems to collect grit on the forks, with the inevitable oil seals getting damaged. Also the car does get dirty on the back. I found the cost quite expensive at shows etc but did find this company who seemed more cost effective. I contacted them for advice and they were very quick and helpful in the reply-just waiting for the better weather now and I will more than likely buy one and fit it.

Have a look at this link:

http://www.motorhomesmudflaps.com/index.php?categoryID=86

Mike

Guest pelmetman
Make your own out of outside door mats ;-)...................made some years ago for my Honda............just beware if they're too close to your wheels, when you reverse over rough ground you'll rip them off :D

We Had one fitted to the Aviano Motorhome we had it was done the same time they fitted the Towbar at Towtal, it kept the trailer clean but with it being fitted to the bottom of the tow bar water/dirt still formed on the rear of the M/H, We also gathered quite a crowd of Children on one French Camp site all pondering what it was for ,I was even asked if it was for cleaning the streets, we never bothered fitting one to our Present M/H. IMO a good set of Mud Flaps (4) would have the same effect.

Merle..

..if you do look at commercial vehicle products,be aware that some of it can be very "rigid" and unless bolted to something substantial and robust,could result in damage to the vehicle(e.g reversing over a high curb etc)..

We used to fit various types of flaps to the trucks at work and the plastic,anti-spray mats(similar to that in flicka's link)were especially rigid... :-S

I think the point made earlier,about skirts trapping great clods of mud up under the bodywork, is a very good one...and worth keeping in mind... ;-)

Our previous MH had one fitted, but if you follow a MH and look at the way they flutter, can they work at anything over walking pace. No they don't .

On our present MH I fitted the commercial type fitted to HHV's, they work much better (fitted 4 inches from the ground) stones do not flick up, occasionally wedged in the nipples, sounds painful, but what else can you call them. Cost about 20pounds from a Hgv Internet site.

Den

We used to have them on the van, but didn't bother fitting them to the new van. I can't say I have noticed any difference. The car still gets very dirty if it's wet with or without them. It MAY reduce the stone chips, but I am not convinced.

Merle - 2012-02-12 5:06 PM

Merle,

What you need is a 'Skirt' on top of your A-Frame to stop stones and muck being thrown up.

Have a look at this Link.

This was the first picture I found but I'm sure I've seen others, food for thought...

Keith.

Thanks Keithl

I had seen the same set up for sale over here but did not like the way it is fitted to both the front of the toad and the MH, but obviously with a little forthought and determination a DIY project is feesable. More to think about now....will I ever get to go somewhere....anywhere......

Merle

Archived