Excel Motorhome Show

bobalobs

Tony Jones - 2012-02-16 9:12 PM

We're going tomorrow (Fri) - got our tickets and carpark pass......

Tony, you wont be able to answer for a bit as you are at the show(!) but I have a pair of tickets but not parking passes>>it says ticket includes parking.

From the West I will go M3, A316, link N to A40, A501, A13 et Voila! Trying to avoid traffic in the City.

bolero boy - 2012-02-17 5:07 PM

ps...................did anyone notice if the new Rapido 891F A Class was on display - looks a good deal starting at £54k I believe.

was that the one which was quite short with the drop down bed.../ If so, yes, very impressive!. certinaly as always with Rapido excellent quality, and good design....

There were certainly a couple of Rapido A-class jobs - not sure which as that's not our scene.

Open air parking at the eastern end of the building was fine, and passes out were by little paper slips.

As for bizarre things to buy at a MH show, our tally was:

wire trays to cook oven chips on;

miniature dustpan and brush;

electric salt and pepper mills (two of each: one pair for house and one pair for van!);

and a pair of "support sandals" for Liz - some girls will buy shoes ANYWHERE!

All in all, a good value day out.

Guest JudgeMental

just back from show, Thanks again to wills waggon for tickets!

It was very quiet, easy to park etc...and only 40 mins from home..Fair few vans to see if interested in coach built, but far to many caravans..... we just looked at panel vans.

The normal bespoke UK line up (still carpet on the walls with 50-60k price tags!) not for me I'm afraid, most like mini caravans in terms of layouts. Mostly silly money, coachbuilt looked better value.....with the exception of maybe Wildax which looked decent value. But for the same money you can get much better built and finished Globecars which had a good stand with plenty of choice, and like I said prices were unbeatable, for a decent class, properly insulated German van...

The only Renault based PVC's were from Devon and one other that I have forgotten...so PVC market still dominated by Fiat.

comformatic now available across the range in Euro 5. at about £1800. In both 4 cylinder 130 & 150 bhp models,. and in the 3 Litre 180 bhp

Adria had 2 vans...yep 2.... pathetic...none of the ones I wanted to see....

brought a flask and lunch...not like us at all! but after reading comments about prices......£5 a sandwich and burger & fries £8. We listened to talk by CCC about guided Argentinian tour while eating lunch, it was interesting....

The venue is good, large airy and modern, just a shame show did not offer more choice....But If I'm in the market for a new camper I go to Dusseldorf as its simply the best...

JudgeMental - 2012-02-19 3:41 PM

..............................................Fair few vans to see if interested in coach built, but far to many caravans..... we just looked at panel vans.

The normal bespoke UK line up (still carpet on the walls with 50-60k price tags!) not for me I'm afraid, most like mini caravans in terms of layouts. Mostly silly money, coachbuilt looked better value.....with the exception of maybe Wildax which looked decent value. But for the same money you can get much better built and finished Globecars which had a good stand with plenty of choice, and like I said prices were unbeatable, for a decent class, properly insulated German van...

Adria had 2 vans...yep 2.... pathetic...none of the ones I wanted to see....

brought a flask and lunch...not like us at all! but after reading comments about prices......£5 a sandwich and burger & fries £8. .......................................................The venue is good, large airy and modern, just a shame show did not offer more choice.......

Very good show and at least we didn't have to head for the rotten NEC, but as Judge says the refreshments were silly prices so glad we did the same and took our 'Pic Nic' back pack!

To be fair Judge it was the Motorhome CARAVAN and Camping show so I fully expected there to be caravans and it was very interesting to look inside them too to remember just what we gave up in luxury and space by switching to a motorhome for the convenience of not having to hitch up etc, and be able to use Aires! It is very easy to become blinkered into thinking that the only way is a motorhome when you go to a motorhome only show.

I believe there were a similar number of motorhomes to caravans on display and it was interesting to see several manufacturers siteing them together on the same stand, which enabled a very easy comparison of usable space size for size between the various caravans and motorhomes.

Looked at the Globecars and found that they were very sparse on their interior effects, i.e.we would not have a van with no oven and only two or three burner hob. Also no flexibility with the layouts with their rear fixed beds or their silly raised floors in the rear dinette area that will suit only a midget moving about inside, didn't like the overcomplicated slated doors for the wash room/ shower in them either.

I find that the 'Continental' style of layout just does not suit us. However it was interesting to hear that the dealer we spoke to has said that once they get a couple of the 2+1 berths in stock (within the next month) they are putting them in to a local (to them) convertor to change the rear from fixed bed to a 'U' shape lounge that will convert to a double at night as that is what several people have enquired about including ourselves. So we were not so impressed with them as Judge!

We looked at every panel van there and like Judge dismissed the overpriced, carpet walled offerings so loved by the MMM staff as what they are poorly made and equiped (unless you buy the optional extras) and terribly overpriced!

We liked the Devons, but disapointed to see they have dropped the oven from the Monte Carlo.

One UK build seemed to stand out for us that was the Vantage Neo XLWB on a Fi-yuk chassis but again according to the owner on the stand other base chassis can be built on.

However we then looked at the coachbuilts and although we have desires to get a PVC, when you compare VFM and what you get for your money in a coachbuilt I find it really difficult to justify a PVC!

Now when you look inside caravans and see just how much more you get for your money you then have to consider why you went for a motorhome in the first place!!!

What it does show is we are all different and look for different things and this show I though had a good selection to satisfy all tastes.

Bas

Reading with interest on your takes on the show. Did anyone get a good deal on a new van??

We would have gone if it was closer but we live in Cornwall and getting to London just for a weekend is a pain. We were going to go to the NEC but it was cancelled, which was a disappointment as it is closer and easier to get a sight sorted for an over night stay.

WildBill

We went on Saturday and yes we got a very good deal on a new m/h and no I'm not going to say how much we saved but it was a very very good deal :D being a tightfisted old *** i am very happy.

O and by the way i put a deposit on a elddis 155. We had been looking for about 18 month's for a m/h that we could live with/live in. So Excel was good for us thats me (bill) and SWMBO (jan)

Thanks to you all for your opinions of the show. I wonder what the trades view or spin will be?Usually there is a converter who claims they concluded a massive contract to supply vans to another company and yet there would appear to lots of Euro 4 vans still for sale. And were we not told a little while ago that all these Euro 4 vans had to be sold by 31st January under the Regulations?

I am glad I followed my gut feeling and stayed at home.

Dave Newell - 2012-02-20 6:02 PM

At least one trader I have spoken to said there were more traders than punters, is that true? Every comment I have read seems to suggest that it was quieter than hoped for by the trade.

D.

Think that is possibly true, but it didn't stop two traders talking to each other and ignoring us on their stand, still I know one make of van I will never buy now!!

By the way Norfolk Line have a show discount code, I believe valid until Saturday, for crossings to Dunkerque or Calais. It is CS12 and gives crossings for £24 each way for those that are still looking to book!

Bas

Dave Newell - 2012-02-20 6:02 PM

At least one trader I have spoken to said there were more traders than punters, is that true? Every comment I have read seems to suggest that it was quieter than hoped for by the trade.

D.

Dave,

Daniel has posted a news clip under the Motorhomes section quoting the attendance figures for the Excel show as "in excess of 43,000" and saying that of those 35,598 (or 82%) where paying customers. He goes on to say that next years show at Excel has been confirmed so I assume these figures must have met with expectation. More info here... Link.

For interest last February's Boat and Caravan show at the NEC attracted 86,988 visitors, double that of this years Excel show! Link.

As both shows claim to have had similar numbers of exhibitors then I am not surprised that they where seen standing round chatting as they would have had half the number of potential customers at Excel!

Keith.

And were the charges to exhibit at Excel half than those charged by the Nec promoter?I thought one of the reasons for the move was that the Nec was too expensive for the trade and the customer..

Maybe a greater percentage of those that went to Excel were genuine "big ticket price" purchasers rather than "tyrekickers" as you had to be a local or very keen to make the trek to Excel..

I guess Excel did not indicate the hoped for attendance prior to the show?!

Keithl - 2012-02-25 10:53 PM

As both shows claim to have had similar numbers of exhibitors then I am not surprised that they where seen standing round chatting as they would have had half the number of potential customers at Excel!

Keith.

All the more reason to pay attention to those potential customers entering the stand then surely!!

Bas

Archived