Your van; Blank piece of paper; what to change?

snowie

Do you have a wish-list for your ideal camper;( or do you call yours a motorhome)?

We designed our PV conversion a couple of years ago now; and I'm expecting it to last another five years at least; but in that two years (ok, nearly three) I've looked at every aspect of the van.

I think that the major thing I'd change would be the base vehicle, not just the make and model (Fiat Ducato), but mainly the engine/fuel choice. That's where the choice gets limited, because I think I'd be looking for an LPG powered panelvan, and as far as I can see, if I stuck with a 3500Kg spec it would have to be a Ford Transit. I've nothing against that, but I'd like a bit of choice.

I know that LPG's a bit thin on the ground in some parts of Europe, but unless the price at the pump rockets, then it will remain an attractive option. In fact to be able to do the mileage we want to do, it's going to be more and more attractive; essentil even.

If I were pulling a caravan, then I think I'd go for a LPG conversion. So that's my choice; whether I would be able to afford it in five years time; well that's another matter!

happy camping

alan b

Oooh!..that's a difficult one (..as my view of the ideal vehicle,tends to change,depending on what I'm doing with it... :$ )

If I could wave a wand over the van we've got,to start with I'd stick it on the heavier,twin rear wheel drive(Renault Mastiff?) chassis,do away with the flimsy plastic lower skirts and generally make the exterior more robust(..so that just brushing past something like a privet hedge doesn't leave scratches down the panel and windows!?)...I'd try and gain a bit more width to the bathroom and I'd probably look at reconfiguring the external storage locker(s).....

But if money was no object,I'd have something like this:

http://squob.com/motorhomes/weinsberg-%E2%80%98light%E2%80%99-expedition-vehicles/

We fully intend to keep our motorhome for many years to come as it was expensive and I doubt we will be able to afford another one like it again. At the time we were pleased with the drop down bed, but now I wish that we had gone for a french bed as it would be easier to get in and out of when we get older. The trouble is, if you have one of those you loose your lounging area, and we do like our large lounge. Decisions, decisions!

I suppose the thing to do is the lottery and hope for the best, then you can have exactly what you want if money is no object!

The nature of the beast is compromise. No matter the spec, in different places, at different times, there'll always be something about your 'van that works really well and something that is insufferably irritating.

The trick is to match it to your actual needs for most of the time and then just accept the (untweakable) shortfalls.

Brutally honest appraisal at the outset and a ton of research are good companions.

The industry is largely based on people chasing rainbows.

Couldn't agree more.

My choice for a change would be air conditioning and automatic transmission, but I accepted this omission when I bought the camper.

With a blank sheet of paper I would think very carefully about what I don't need.

crinklystarfish - 2012-02-24 10:20 AM
The nature of the beast is compromise. No matter the spec, in different places, at different times, there'll always be something about your 'van that works really well and something that is insufferably irritating.

The trick is to match it to your actual needs for most of the time and then just accept the (untweakable) shortfalls.

Brutally honest appraisal at the outset and a ton of research are good companions.

You finished yours yet, Crinkles? Any more pics?

crinklystarfish - 2012-02-24 10:20 AM

I couldn't agree more; I think that the problem is that, ( and here I only speak from experience of a bespoke panelvan conversion) the choice of base vehicle is very limited, particularly if you lump all of the Sevel built options together. The choice comes down to two rear wheel drive (VW and Merc) and four front wheel drive (Sevel, Ford, Vauxhall and Renault) and as far as I can see only Ford offer anything but diesel.Optimizing space useage, and exercising some control over the products used are, in my view the main reasons to design your own van, at any rate for the more mainstream user. regardsalan b

We have an Autocruise Starlet II, which is a 'Marquis' version of the Starburst, we are very happy with all aspects of it, It does everything we want from a van.

It's a 2005 so, the Vehicle underpinnings are not 'the latest' So, if anything we would like the latest Renault Master with the Euro 5 engine and their version of the Robot auto gearbox, so the missus could take a turn at driving (she is disabled and can't use the clutch). So, it looks like our next Van will be a 'Bentley' , we probably couldn't run to the 'Large' version on the 'Master', so a 'Cobalt' on the 'Trafic would have to do. Right Size, right quality. For Us, No contest. ;-) Ray

Hello all,

I would like to contribute a couple of points;

Pepe63; You are referring to the Renault Mascott which ceased production in 2005 but is actually a Renault body on top of an Iveco Daily at either 5.0T or 6.5T and even used the same Iveco engine! The Daily is still made and has now got the option of going up to 7T and has 4WD and 205hp available as options. That could be the go anywhere vehicle you need!

Snowie; There is one major problem with the LPG route. They are all based on Petrol engines which means that they may have similar power outputs to the Diesel versions but the torque available is much lower and you would find yourself having to really work the engine to get a camper body moving. This is the main reason why so few LPG vans have been sold. Subjectively they are just harder work to drive, with more gear shifting and less 'slugging' about in higher gears than Diesel drivers can get used to.

Now an electric van with a diesel engine making the electricity but motors alone driving the wheels; that would be marvellous! I don't think it will be many years before that is viable and cost effective either....

Nick.

euroserv - 2012-02-24 6:02 PM

Snowie; There is one major problem with the LPG route. They are all based on Petrol engines which means that they may have similar power outputs to the Diesel versions but the torque available is much lower and you would find yourself having to really work the engine to get a camper body moving. This is the main reason why so few LPG vans have been sold. Subjectively they are just harder work to drive, with more gear shifting and less 'slugging' about in higher gears than Diesel drivers can get used to.

Now an electric van with a diesel engine making the electricity but motors alone driving the wheels; that would be marvellous! I don't think it will be many years before that is viable and cost effective either....

Nick.

Interesting Nick; would it help if I reluctantly (only because of lack of experience of ) went automatic as well?

It was difficult enough finding a used Relay; ended up with a Ducato, so finding a suitable used petrol/auto Transit(fwd), or equivalent could take too long to be feasible!!

cheers,

alan b

Well I'd like to make our van larger on the inside and smaller on the outside :D

Although thats not as silly as it sounds! was considering the other day if it would be possible to have our van layout on a MWB and a rear slideout, but then it's just another set of compromises, ease of parking/driving vs instant crash out in bed and large storage area. :-S

Our last van I designed and built myself from experiance of rental and it worked out very well but lack of toilet/shower was occastionaly hinderance, but theres only so much you can fit in a T25.

Spent many years looking for a new van and just when I'd pretty much given up on finding a manufactured one and had designed my own again, along came Globecar with a near identicle layout to that I'd designed.

Would I change anything? well theres a few bits to be fine tuned, but thats about it realy.

Guest Tracker
We would change nothing - it does exactly what it says on the tin - that's why we still have it after 3 and a half years and 28,000 miles!

euroserv - 2012-02-24 6:02 PM

Nick.

I do wonder if we are so far away.

Watching last week's "Top Gear", where Capt. Slow test drove an Electric car using a small Diesel Engine to produce the Electric to recharge battery, hence doing away with the big bank of batteries.

I can't recall it's range, but considerably more that a "conventional" Electric car.

So with some continued development it could prove feasable for larger vehicles.

Brian Kirby - 2012-02-24 11:38 AM  You finished yours yet, Crinkles? Any more pics?

Nah, but thanks for asking. My website is pretty up to date though. I'm up to about 1,500 hours now, another 500 should see it done.

If I were going PVC I'd personally have me an AWD Iveco. Some of the usual companies make cracking overlanders out of them, Bocklet being just one. The Weinsberg LED is a nice van too but I met up with a German couple using one in Romania and they had had all sorts of electronics related gremlins. That might have been down to the base vehicle though (all Merc I think), some of the nuances were lost in the language barrier.

Not sure how that fits with the OPers request though, anything AWD tends to be a bit heavy on juice and 2WD will get you most places most of the time with decent tyres and a bit of ground clearance. 

LPG conversions do make sense but not with a diesel engine. Something from the USA might prove a decent base in this regard, not that I'd personally be rushing to buy such a beast.

Vauxhall/Opel showed a petrol/electric version of the Vivaro in 2010 year based on the power train of the Chevy Volt. http://www.thegreencarwebsite.co.uk/blog/index.php/2010/09/24/opelvauxhall-unveils-electric-vivaro/ . 62 miles range on batteries or 250 miles using the engine as well.

They had to stop building the Volt for a while to sort out some problems but it's now back in production.

Don't know about the relative merrits of petrol or diesel - torque isn't an issue when the power is from the electric motor.

PCC - 2012-02-25 12:57 PM

Vauxhall/Opel showed a petrol/electric version of the Vivaro in 2010 year based on the power train of the Chevy Volt. http://www.thegreencarwebsite.co.uk/blog/index.php/2010/09/24/opelvauxhall-unveils-electric-vivaro/ . 62 miles range on batteries or 250 miles using the engine as well.

They had to stop building the Volt for a while to sort out some problems but it's now back in production.

Don't know about the relative merrits of petrol or diesel - torque isn't an issue when the power is from the electric motor.

I was driving a Chevy Volt yesterday and when fully charged it only showed an electric range of 27 miles!

I don't know where they come up with some of these figures but you would need one h*ll of a battery to go 62 miles! And certainly in a van! Or maybe they use half the payload for batteries, then it may be possible!

The figure with petrol as well is quite realistic as the engine is only run to recharge the batteries and/or drive the electric motor, it cannot directly drive the wheels.

Keith.

crinklystarfish - 2012-02-25 10:11 AM
Brian Kirby - 2012-02-24 11:38 AM  You finished yours yet, Crinkles? Any more pics?

Nah, but thanks for asking. My website is pretty up to date though. I'm up to about 1,500 hours now, another 500 should see it done...................
Forgot your website. Frankly, I am awestruck! That is an absolutely superb job, and beautifully designed and executed to the smallest detail. You sure you'll actually have the courage to use it and get it dirty, or might you keep it just to admire?!! :-)

crinklystarfish - 2012-02-25 10:11 AM

Not sure how that fits with the OPers request though, anything AWD tends to be a bit heavy on juice and 2WD will get you most places most of the time with decent tyres and a bit of ground clearance.

Hi Crinkleystarfish.....

I'm not planning a vehicle as adventurous as yours, although I think my approach to campervans has changed a bit since I've had one! as you might expect. You can't beat a bit of first hand experience can you.

I've been struck by the lack of innovation generally, and designed our own because layouts didn't suit. I accept that innovative products don't always make commercial successes ( and sometimes they don't last)

I've noticed that campervans tend to evolve, and the prospect of a revolutionary design is too scary to be a commercial success.

Having sorted the space utilization aspect, my thoughts turn to fuel efficiency and suchlike.

As I said in my original post, and my elaboration, the base vehicle is the area where I think there is most scope for improvement. Unfortunately, just to keep within a sensible budget you need to be able to source a decent high volume model, so the spec has to appeal to commercial users.

Having researched a little for this post, I think there may be some mileage (sorry) in commercial vehicle developments like the stop-start technology.

On the diesel front, ECO-Start technology cuts off the engine after the vehicle is stationary for more than two seconds, but only gives a fuel saving of around 5% . on high mileage fleets like Parcelforce that's significant but for camper use a bit disappointing.

On the petrol/LPG front the Ashwood Ecodrive + system ( if I understand it, from a not very clear website) can offer around 25% fuel and co2 savings, and at reasonable cost.

At this point I should add that I have no connection with any companies or technologies mentioned.

Regards

alan b

I love our van, appart from the drop down bed. I wish it had a positive location when lowered. So it didn't swing about and bang against the side of the van when a little nocturnal activity was on offer. :$ :D

Archived