leisure battery (which to buy)

franki

The A 24 and A25 are identical but different terninals. They are absolute no maintemabce sealed batteries.

The A28 is the same as the Bosch mentioned in last post. It is low manitennce and can be topped up.

The A24/A25 are full calcium and will give max (ideal conditions) life 450 cycles at 60% depth of discharge. It wil cope with the very occassional deep dicharge to 80% and recover as long as not too often

The A28 is a hybrid calcium and will be max 450 cycles at 50% dod. It will only cope with 70% max depth of discharge I think it is, and recover. So technically you are better with the A24/25. (reflected in price).

50% of 110 = 55

60% of 105 = 63 Ah available safely for long life.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just when I thought I had clarity, I called Tayna only to be told that the Varta 105 ah A24 is no longer available and at this time there didn't seem to be a comparable Varta battery available, following the advice from the guy at Tayna, I have now ordered an Enduroline 135ah one instead !

Steve

Just be aware it is a marine type battery - dual starter and deep discharge so will not have the same cycle life and the 135Amps comes from them bench testing it down to too low a voltage for the test so is probably still only around 110 Ah. On the plus side you are getting a 4 year guarantee.

It is in effect a heavy duty version of the Numax CXV31MF sealed flooded .

Still trying to decide myself, the numbering system has me confused, 81154 (A5), 930090080, and from a previous thread 95752 E33 which I can't find on the Tayna website.

Phoned Advanced Battery Suppliers about the Numax L110 which they say are new fresh batteries. They also offered the same battery with their own label for 75 pounds, 10 less than the L110.

This is on the Tayna site for 95 pounds, any views appreciated. http://www.tayna.co.uk/LFD90-Varta-Professional-DC-Leisure-Battery-930090080-P3638.html

Thanks

Pat

Is it not wonderful how we have three numbering systems...short code, din number, and part number.

81154 (A5), should be A25 not A5, and is the 105 Ah sealed flooded Varta. Its a Semi traction ( what we want but sealed for maintenance)

930090080 short code LFD90 is a Varta 90Ah deep cycle professional. Its a Dual starter/leisure marine type battery

95752 E33 is a varta 90 Ah semi traction open flooded. Varta have replaced this with their new professionl ranges but carried on being distributed as a Bosch brand. It still seems to be available in some countries but not the UK.

As far as I am concerned/aware the Advanced Battery Suppliers Numax L110 appears to be a semi traction battery and is possibly made by Monbat and is large question marks over its source.

Advance Batteries own label 110Ah is NOT the same battery, its is 1kg lighter for a start, and case is different. It is a dual starter/leisure so not the same spec.

http://www.tayna.co.uk/LFD90-Varta-Professional-DC-Leisure-Battery-930090080-P3638.html is the LDF90 mentioned above.

corkbuoy - 2012-03-16 11:20 AM

Thanks Brambles

The LFD90 seems to be the only one currently available of these three. How would this compare to a Banner Energy Bull battery ?

Pat

The LDF is a dual starter/leisure so has limited cylces with deep dicharges lets say 150.

The Banner is a Semi traction so has much more battery cycle life with deep dicharges let say about 350 for comparison. Also if you use in very hot climes and more water is consumed, the Banner can be topped up, the Varta can not.

My money would be on the Banner given the choice above.

I don't think you have really given much clue as to what your battery use profile is so hard to be specific with advice.

I don't consider myself to be a heavy power user, lights, radio, very limited TV and heater fan at times. But I like to use aires in France and can go a week in summer without hookup with my present batteries (3 x 70 Ah Varta starter batteries) Just trying to get the best value with reliability. Don't want to invest a couple of hundred and have to dump them in a year or so.

Pat

I would go for the Banner 115Ah batteries if they wil fit in. (350L x 175W x 230H).

Other option would be to look at the Bosch Battereis (110Ah) I mentioned on Ebay being sold by Buypartsby.co.uk

Also carbatteriesonline.co.uk or look on Ebay for Bosch Leisure Battery and you wil find

Phone number 0115 9647391. I have just spoken to Craig and the Bosch L4 110 Ah is brand new fresh stock and are cheap because they have a special deal direct with Bosch.

Craig also confirmed they have central end venting. AT £70 a battery +del this is your most cost effective option for what is as good as if not slighty better than the Banner. It is 347L x 173W x 234H.

Varta supply/manufacture Bosch batteries.

(seriously, this is a good deal)

Just had a look and noticed it had free Delivery. Incidently the way Bosch batteries are numbered it indicates the warranty period. S3 - 3 years, S4 4 years, S5 5 years, so L4 must also be 4 years.

Do report back how you get on with them. I think we have found a gem of a battery here at a bottom price, knocks spots off all the budget batteries at this price calling themselves 100 or 110 Ah.

When you get them, check the venting holes at ends of battey, they should have plugs in them, you need to remove one of them, and then connect your vent tube if your set up uses venting tubes.

• 5 months later...

I felt the need to join this forum after reading this thread.

I've been fulltiming 6 years now, running a laptop 48 hours a week from an inverter in order to work.

I started off with Elecsols. The original 100's which were actually about 80 ahrs. One of them exploded one day when a technician was doing a test on it, the only time in my life I've ever seen a battery explode.

The batteries claims for DOD, ability to be recovered after being flat, resistance to overcharge etc are in my experience totally unfounded. Their only benefit with the original ones was their light weight. They performed no better than a bog standard, unbranded wet lead acid that i got with the van.

Later, I had one of the sealed types. Even worse imho. I threw it out in the end. Customer service comes from one man, who is about as rude as you can possibly get. Speaking to him is almost painful and claiming on warranty is a nightmare.

Now onto Numax's. I can't really say too much as I have a legal action outstanding against Adverc for the appalling Numax CV24MF batteries they had Manbatt supply me with.

If you use your van for 2 weeks twice a year and use the batteries for lights and playing a radio, and at all other times the van is plugged into the mains, the Numax CV24MF will probably be fine for you. Anything more than that and I suspect you'll be deeply disappointed.

The Enduroline as stated by someone else seem to be the latest version of Numax, and if you ring Tayna, almost every time they are the batteries they'll push. Gossip tells me Tayna was founded by mostly ex Manbatt staff.

I've stated my usage which is heavy, so I'm going this time for Trojan L16H, or the ODYSSEY PC1800, I haven't made my mind up yet. Lets hope a much better quality battery is actually going to work.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all, I'm new here. Had to register just to thank Brambles for his most excellent, informed and helpful posts in this thread.

I also wanted to post about my experiences this morning enquiring of Tayna sales dept regarding their Enduroline batteries. I asked for a datasheet and the sales guy said they were their batteries and there is no datasheet but what did I want to know. I replied that there were many things I wanted to know: they offer a 4 year warranty and if I am to treat them right and get a decent life out of them then I need to know the cycle rates at different DOD, preferred charging rates etc. He suggested I email my queries to their tech dept. I said I had done so to ask the cycle rate and tech had replied "500" with no indication of what DOD that related to. I said that if there was no datasheet available then I would just buy some Vargas from another supplier. His response? "Then I suggest you do that."

I wonder what that says about the Endurolines, or about Tayna? Certainly that response cost the company £300 odd in a lost orders and irked me sufficiently to motivate me to report it here. Great way to do business I think not.

Regards

Prajna

• 1 month later...

So I have read through a lot of this thread in the last hour and now my brain is hurting just a little. Information overload! I admit I havent read All of it as it stopped going any further than the eyes after a while and even they started to blur.

However I too had to sign up at least to say thank you for all the awesome info.

I am now trawling other threads on this forum to see if there are other hints and tips as good as this.

I am new to motorhoming (currently converting a Ford Transit jumbo hitop ex CCTV van... anybody want some scene lights on an extendable mast?)

The batteries which were fitted as leisure batteries (for computers, inverters, lights, fridge etc. . . are unfortunately both dead (Ford Silver Calcium 80Ah taking no charge at all) and so I am searching the web to find out which ones to buy. Initially Alphaline on amazon looked really cheap but after reading this thread I feel foolish and Varta seem like the way to go. Tayna only have the 110ah or 140+ah though.

Can anyone suggest anything different to the Varta 105ah or is that the best option. Is it worth buying two?

I am also planning on fitting a 100W Solar Panel (although 150W is tempting) and I think the batteries are also charged from the engine. I also have a mains hookup with a Euro Charger II auto charge though this probably wont get tons of use.

I will be living in the van for a weekend every 9 days to two weeks + a few holidays here and there. The van also came with a Waeco 12v/230v/gas fridge which I will be running off batteries (not sure exactly how yet). Not sure how much use that will get yet. Mostly my batteries will be for running lighting, laptop (off an inherited inverter and probably depressingly running 2-4hours a day?), pico projector(2 hours a day?) and charging phones and cameras.

So, any tips?

Archived