possible van change

ips

I'll stick my neck out (again! :-)) and say you won't get that on a Transit, because they are too narrow. Concentrate on Ducato based PVCs. Everyone and their dog now does a conversion on a Ducato, even Eura Mobil has just bobbed up with one.

Quite a few are badge engineered variations on a theme, and most of the imports offer a transverse rear double bed with a lift up central section to allow transport of bulkier items. Forward of the bed is the washroom on the side opposite the sliding door, with the kitchen block opposite that, projecting part way across the sliding door. Forward facing dinette backs onto the washroom, and swivel cab seats with dining table between. Lots of little differences from one to another in how big and how many gas cylinders can be carried, gas or diesel heating, size of fridge, number of burners on hob, space in washroom.

The home grown variety are far more preoccupied with creating lounge space, and tend to rely on convertible sofas to make the bed, while installing an oven/hob combination, and some a slightly larger fridge than the imports. It is all about quarts and pint pots, but there is enough variety on that one van to keep your head spinning for weeks. Have fun! :-)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi ips,

Have you looked at the Tribute PVC from Auto-Trail?

There only appears to be one model of PVC but it comes in at under 6m, is under £40k (sorry but over £35k) and has, quote "a unique rear bunk style with double beds that can be easily configured in different ways to allow additional internal storage."

Have a look at the website... Link.

Keith.

bolero boy - 2012-02-28 6:01 PM

ips - 2012-02-28 5:03 PM

Boleroboy

Ooh I like the scout, I take it these rear transverse PVC jobs are not permanent made up beds. Also what kind of heigt would the beds be on this style of van ?

The Campscout has longitudinal singles which can be left made up and also has a filler to make it into a (very) large permanent double with huge storage - it might be a tad high though, so you would need to check.

Also the 'seperate' shower (utilising the normally void space in the 'corridor') is really very spacious. The upside is that it leaves the toilet as just that with a small basin and no compromise to try and include a (naff) showering facility.

When not using the shawer, the void returns to being the corridor....................pretty clever I thought, although i saw Basil thought it was all a bit complicated.............??

Not in the slieghtess bit complicated ;-)

The bed is a bit high but has a set of proper steps leading to it, for a couple it could be lower as there's masses of storage below, but factor in an 11 y.o. girl and sudenly that storage is full :D

http://www.globecarmotorhomes.co/the-range/globecamp-636sb.html

I suspect that the fixed transverse beds in PVCs will still be too high for ips and so would the 'new fangled' drop down roof beds. Perhaps ditching the idea of a fixed bed altogether and going for an easily converted lounge would be better?

Guest JudgeMental

you would maybe get a nearly new for £35k, near £40K new....If your back is a bad as you say getting in a rear transverse bed maybe a problem if you are having pain at the time. the twin rear singles are so easy to get into as they have wide steps in between, and much larger bathroom. for the sake of an extra foot it makes a massive difference. will post some links and measure bed height tomorrow. you just need to go and have a look at some to be honest and bring a pillow, I always do :D

Brian, what van is this euramobil? as they used to do 2 models on a fiat called the Quixta. I nearly bought one from Belgium dealer as more convenient then Germany, and he offered a good PX for our eura,. but I thought they had stopped producing panel vans....

Hi;

we have a Ducato 6M PVC that we designed to suit our needs.

Top priority was a longitudinal bed. Our bed is 1.85M long and 1.4M wide. It's approx 0.7M off the floor, and has the fridge under it. back doors open up to a large underbed store, more a shed than a garage. We do not have access to the fixed bed via the back doors, there's a bulkhead.

We have a Thetford toilet and a shower in a reasonable sized "cubicle". We have storage for clothes inside the van, adjacent to the bed. We also have a 2 burner hob and a sink.

I'm not saying that our layout would suit your needs necessarily, but I'm pretty sure I could accomodate what you say you need in a 6.6M wheelbase, and probably make the bed work better than ours would, for your needs.

I make these observations and describe our layout simply to illustrate that a bespoke PVC might be feasible for you.

It would take a bit of time and energy to design, and there'd be nobody else to blame if you got it wrong. All the compromises would be your own and I think you would enjoy having your very own one-off. It might also be a good van when you come to sell,

Good luck, hope you find what you're looking for

alan b

If your Flash 04 meets all your other needs, than a low level double bed, I would seriously consider Mel B's suggestion regarding exploring the possibility of modifying it.

Various companies who do conversions should be able to advise on feasibility & cost.

IIRC ips is in Lancashire, so possibly Nu-Venture.

Or further away Coachbuilt GB @ Nuneaton. who (I can personally recommend)

Lower the rear bed height & if you want to keep the full garage, they could possibly make the Bed base so it could be moved / swung into an upright position when not in use.

i.e. similar to the Flash model.with 2 x single rear bunk beds, where the lower bunk swings up to allow use of the full garage space.

Pros & Cons,

retain Ford Transit, keep a vehicle you know & have ironed out the snags, no Depreciation losses, all personal add-on accessories already fitted.

still have a Euro4 engine, modification costs + possible future cost to reinstate to original format when you do sell.

Brian, thats actually not a bad plan. We are happy with the van in other ways and as you say we have fitted and adapted things. As judge and others have implied getting in out of a transverse pvc bed may be more difficult or as difficult and ours so if i can lower the bed enough it may work.

Always fancied doing a bespoke jobbie as previous poster suggests and nu venture are very close so may do this in the future.

Main thing with changing to pvc was that if we lose the scooter then a pvc would be easier to park if we keep current and lower bed then it may work bed wise but ease of parking could be am issue.

I think Flicka's idea,is well worth exploring...especially as you're happy with the van..

..and if it was designed so as to still retain the ability to raise back to it's original height(..AND the work was carried out by a quaility outfit and looked as "original as possible),then IO wouldn't have thought that the mod' would have that much affect on re-sale value..

Having said all of that,I suppose it would all depend on the overall feasibility and costs involved....

JudgeMental - 2012-02-28 10:45 PM...................Brian, what van is this euramobil? as they used to do 2 models on a fiat called the Quixta. I nearly bought one from Belgium dealer as more convenient then Germany, and he offered a good PX for our eura,. but I thought they had stopped producing panel vans....

Total cobblers, I'm afraid, Eddie: I need a new memory module!! :-) I had seen two things; a new "Van" type motorhome from Eura Mobil (Profila T 590 FB), and a new PVC from Pilote (Van F 600 DGA), and mixed makers in my mind.

If ips has recurrent sciatica however, I'd think a transverse double bed would not be a good idea - if smitten when away. One party either has to climb over the other party to get out of bed, or one party has to get out of bed to release the other party. Neither that good, whichever party it is who has the sciatica!

I'd think a better practical solution, under those circumstances, would be twin beds. I'd rate these above an island bed, because an island bed requires access to both sides, so the width of two gangways lost from the bed, whereas the two singles need only a single gangway between, so the actual bed space is less compromised.

Just to further complicate this, a number of twin bed arrangements have a solid infill between the beds at the head end, allowing full width a transverse boot/garage beneath -so good storage - and in some cases this infill is made sufficiently wide to allow the beds to be used as a transverse double or two longitudinal singles. The latter sounds to me the ultimate solution under the circumstances. Not all such variants have high-set beds, although obviously garage height is reduced where the beds are lower.

Brian

You are absolutely correct, ours is tranverse and getting in / out is a climb over the other job, not good for me or mrs ips arthritic hip (incidentally just got back from my physio who advises me that I too have arthritis to right hip as well, seems I am falling to bits) yours and others advise re-singles in indeed prob the best bet however mrs ips will take some convincing as for some reason that is beyond me she demands to sleep next/with me :-S therefore perhaps longitudinal (spellin) singles with the option of infill doubles the way to go .... but obviously with my back I would need a very comfy bed so not sure about the cushion joins, what do you think is a pvc like the globecar trendscout likely to be comfy / low enough ?

Guest JudgeMental
there is no cushion joins as you are sleeping on a proper mattress..my adria mattress is the best bed I have ever slept in. the euramobil (same set up as yours) used to crucify me *-)

ips - 2012-02-29 1:20 PM

, what do you think is a pvc like the globecar trendscout likely to be comfy / low enough ?

Hi ips;

That looks a pretty nice van; pricelist on website doesn't show, so can't see at what cost.

Gives me a few ideas for modifying our van when mobility becomes an issue!

Quite like it. Unlikely to be able to afford it though!

good luck

alan b

32k ish so really good price.

My head hurts too much to take in :-D

Just looked and current retail price of our flash is 6k more than we paid in 09 .....wow.

I know that the pvc - cb argument has been done to death many times but interested in views from peeps like judge for example who have downsized as to weather the assumed advantages of parking, driving, storing (no issue to me) etc are as thought in reality. Also I dont mind saying that I am worried about the cat swinging room, has the lack of room been an issue for anyone or is pvc really the way to go. Theory is to ditch scooter and get a pvc so days out / parking away from site are done in van rather than scoot or bus. Or ditch scoot lower bed in existing van and use bus.

Its a dilema :-S

believe me brian, campscout bed is more adaptable than that! You can fit a size 12,14&16 or 12,16&baby in cot on the bed, whilst muggins here had to sleep up front, btw the front dinette converted to bed is not very comffy. Definatly needs topper.

Unless you are prepared to live with convertible sofas as your bed, I think you will need the longer, 6.3 metre, van for a PVC to give you longitudinal beds.

Otherwise, I'd look at the "Van" type coachbuilts. Hobby and Hymer on Transit, Dethleffs on Ducato, all have a longitudinal bed option. These are about the same width as the Ducato van (about 2.1M wide): the Dethleffs, being Ducato based - so with a wider cab - are about 2.15M wide. Dethleffs have widest range of layout options. However, because they are squarer, they give more, and more accessible, internal storage and a greater feeling of space. FWIW, I think the Hymer swing wall washroom is better and more practical for showering than Hobby's "beam me up Scotty" shower enclosures. Haven't seen the Dethleffs versions. All these with longitudinal beds will be 6.5M, or more, long.

I have found width, more than length, is the biggest restriction getting to, and into, places, though this has mainly been outside the UK. The UK is compact, with generally narrower roads, more intrusion from roadside trees and shrubs, higher traffic densities, and more cramped car parks, and the narrower vans definitely, IMO, score over their chubbier peers, if only for the ease with which one can thread between oncoming HGVs and roadside vegetation of suspect parentage!

Guest JudgeMental

Brian have you any idea how long I have waited to say these words......Sorry but your wrong!:D

I quite understand its an age thing.....:-D Hang on wait a minute "chubbier peers" How dear you sir!

IPS

new 2012 euro 5 Adria twin SL with twin singles approx £36000 before discount. picture shows infill you can leave this at home and still hold hands in bed...in fact single bed big enough for a sticky cuddle anyway

loads of globecars to look at on site with pictures...

http://www.duemo-duelmen.de/fahrzeuge-im-angebot/duelmen.html

put this URL into Goggle translator

this link will bring you to website then you can look at stock at both branches.

AND he still has 4 x NEW, RIGHT HAND DRIVE Ford Trend scouts ( I mentioned these in old thread) @ approx £26.000'ish yopu would get it for 25k easy.... to me the rear lounge beds don't look that comfortable....a real bargain all the same

anyway loads of vans in alphabetical order but some of the Globecar/Possl (same van) are under FORD :-S

ips - 2012-02-29 3:36 PM

32k ish so really good price.

......................That's cheaper than I had expected!!

Also I dont mind saying that I am worried about the cat swinging room, has the lack of room been an issue for anyone or is pvc really the way to go.

.................We didn't downsize; it's our first van so we had no real preconceptions; we'd only looked at vans at dealers, hadn't lived with one.

I said in another thread, that the problem with PVCs is that mostly they are shrunken versions of coachbuilt layouts. If you have a particular layout in mind, that you like, then it is bound to feel "cosier", 20-30cm is a lot to lose.

Our PVC doesn't have a cupboard/sink/oven/seat across the sliding door, so we can "circulate"

Works for us!!

All the best

alan b

Theory is to ditch scooter and get a pvc so days out / parking away from site are done in van rather than scoot or bus. Or ditch scoot lower bed in existing van and use bus.

Its a dilema :-S

JudgeMental - 2012-02-29 4:29 PM

Brian have you any idea how long I have waited to say these words......Sorry but your wrong!:D

I quite understand its an age thing.....:-D Hang on wait a minute "chubbier peers" How dear you sir!

What was wrong, you never said?

You are becoming over-sensitive, it was the vans I was referring to as chubbier - not you cuddles! :-D

Having had a quick shuftie in my Flash 04 this afternoon, and looking at the photos below, I don't think that altering your Flash bed to come a bit lower would be a major problem, the only real restriction would be the height of the gas locker on the nearside rear - if this would still allow you to be able to get the bed low enough, then it might be worth serious consideration.

As for the shower, I'm really pleased with ours and find it a very good size due to the round enclosure and the fact that the sink remains within the created cubicle, however, if you wanted a bit more elbow room, you could always do away with the pull round screen and use a good quality shower curtain instead which you could mount further away. I think I'm right that your washroom is the one below with the corner sink?

813061128_garage-bedraised.jpg.b17905863322555266ddea18353968b4.jpg

366566812_garage-bedlowered.jpg.13b034b5f43c5322055de8f3ca2e3c03.jpg

1893477145_Chausson2009bathroom.jpg.9db42185677efbacf7bba6131b125494.jpg

I've been giving your plight some thought.

I too have suffered with sciatica for 30+ years, but thankfully only once have had a realy bad bout, how I remember that week stuck in a tent in south ballahulish having to dose up on pain killers to manage the 50yds to toilet block :-(

I, it appears, am the only one here with a campscout, or similier.

Whilst I believe the Campscout would be an improvement on your present van, I'm not sure it will be best option, for a 'test' try getting in and out of your bed from the end, not as easy as from side. So I think you need singles as in rear lounge or an island bed.

So would I dump the Campscout if my sciatica got worse? No way, I'd rip out the fixed beds and cupboards under, relocate water and gas to under slung, drop the beds to low level and have two singles as per rear lounge

Guest JudgeMental

There is no point expecting the NHS to sort this out, and just laying there, it ain't going to improve.........you need to pay up and find a GOOD Chiropractor or osteopath

I suffered with this years ago and after 3-4 sessions it has not really bothered me that much in over 10 years, certainly nothing like you are experiencing...

I tell you what, if is doesn't work Kirby will pay for the cost of treatment..how about that!

Judge.

Not nhs i go private my reg physio is half mile away and has looked after of for last 10 yrs she knows my condition very well and i trust her implicitly wouldnt and couldnt wait 6 wks for nhs appointment. Good news is that its improving after this morning session although she now tells me i have arthritic hip now as well.

Archived