PVC stuff 2

ips

Thought I would start a new thread as we are now more specific...

Given this a lot of thought and we are now allmost certainly changing to a PVC.

New budget of £40k req new or ex demo or very very low miles less than12 mths old

Not bohered too much about base vehicle but MUST have cruise, air con

Defo 6m max but prefer 5.4 ish oh and 2 berth

Any thoughts

ips - 2012-03-03 10:53 AM

Been looking online at autocruise accent, alto or jazz anyone got one who can give a view.

Accent is a Twin style with rear bed converting to small lounge, hired similier WildAx and never unmade bed also check access to bed as it may be worse than your present van.

Alto rear bed/ washroom doesn't work at all IMO, PVC's are too narrow for this layout.

Jaz has decent room for a MWB, but if one goes to bed t'other is right next to them in cab seat so for us would be a non starter, but may work for some.

do like the jazz and itsthe size i wanted, no what you meen if mrs goes to bed before you have had your daily quota of scotch then its a problem but its all about compromise isnt it. This pvc mallarkey really is a quart into a pint pot job is it not :-D

Guest 1footinthegrave
ips - 2012-03-03 10:53 AM

Been looking online at autocruise accent, alto or jazz anyone got one who can give a view.

I notice the Jazz has only got a 12 / 240 volt fridge, you may find that very limiting unless on mains hookup all of the time.

And I hate to do this to you, but I believe your present van has a fixed bed. The ONLY thing we still miss from one of our last coach builts is this single item, absolutely NOTHING else. I would urge you not to consider anything that does not allow at least the possibility of utilising seating as two single beds without faffing around, especially for an afternoon kip. Also be aware that although knee rolls for seating add sitting comfort, they do nothing to enhance sleeping comfort, turning them over provides a solution of sorts but is not ideal we use a couple of cut down memory foam toppers to even things out. I'm sorry to put the cat amongst the pigeons if I have, but your only likely to get that in a 6 metre plus van, oh and twin bunks, sorry not for me at my age !

Why not consider a Devon Conversions PVC our is a Devon Tempest built on the new Renault Master van Euro 5 engine cab has built in tom tom sat nav air con, reverse bleepers,alloy wheels,front fog lights all the bits and came in at under £40k and that included factory fit colour co-ordinated awning and Quickshift 6 auto transmission! The van is 5.55m long nice and agile! Beds are 2 long singles or a double 5ft wide!

Chausson le mor - 2012-03-03 5:42 PM

Why not consider a Devon Conversions PVC our is a Devon Tempest built on the new Renault Master van Euro 5 engine cab has built in tom tom sat nav air con, reverse bleepers,alloy wheels,front fog lights all the bits and came in at under £40k and that included factory fit colour co-ordinated awning and Quickshift 6 auto transmission! The van is 5.55m long nice and agile! Beds are 2 long singles or a double 5ft wide!

thanks Will look into it

Guest 1footinthegrave
I think you'll find that's got a 12 volt comp fridge as well, why do they do it, well I would imagine it cuts down on conversion costs. ;-)

Hi we changed our bessicar e540 for a mondial rl, we have now had it for a year and love it.I here complaints about the compressor fridge being noisey, but i think its nit picking its no noisier than your household fridge. we wild camped on the isle of man for a month last may/june with no problem at all,being 2 large adults we did think how could we cope for showers etc.but it was easy.Once again swift have ceased to produce the mondial but the autocruise is identical. The size of the panel van is easier to park more miles to the gallon,ours is the 2 berth did get rid of the unnessessary items that you hoard.oven great twin beds comfortable to sleep and lounge.Loudhams were selling the stock at a good reduced price.I dont think you will regret going smaller.

Guest 1footinthegrave
I very nearly bought a van with a compressor fridge, but was advised that the best run time you could hope for on battery alone was only about 24/36 hours max, plus I did not fancy anything other than a silent fridge perhaps someone could advise the OP and others who may be interested, especially those of us who rarely use a hook up ;-)

Hi we do have 2 x110amp batteries and have back up with one of those dreaded generators as i have to have a cpap machine running all night it uses 2amps per hour we would like a solor panel when we get funds but just fitted a gas tank that well worth the money.

We have a Fifer M on order for delivery in about early April. Base price is £40,950.

We went to see it in build last Friday and continue to be very impressed with the build quality.

We also picked up on some very clever detailing in the design which we had not noticed before.

The 2012 builds will have a larger leisure battery (240 watts I think) which is useful as it has a compressor fridge. The 80 watt solar panel is standard and the base specs already includes just about every option you could want.

Definitely worth a good look.

We have a Fifer M on order for delivery in about early April. Base price is £40,950.

We went to see it in build last Friday and continue to be very impressed with the build quality.

We also picked up on some very clever detailing in the design which we had not noticed before.

The 2012 builds will have a larger leisure battery (240 watts I think) which is useful as it has a compressor fridge. The 80 watt solar panel is standard and the base specs already includes just about every option you could want.

Definitely worth a good look.

The murvi link looks good but only if you want to make up the bed every day/night.

We moved from an end kitchen model (no fixed bed) to a fixed bed model as extended stays became a nightmare with bed making.

If you are happy with tossing a sleeping bag onto a sofa then i admit that bad making takes 'minutes', however I moved on from hosteling about 40 yrs ago and prefer a good nights sleep with a proper sheet and duvet. We also prefer a double rather than the 'speed' of set up of two singles.

SO..............Turning large cushions with knee rolls and then putting on a large sheet and then the duvet is not my idea of fun twice a day for weeks on end - takes the shine off the relaxing break we are enjoying.

Just my view, but could not go back to this palaver after a proper bed.

the Murvi is nice as it gives a good open lounge, but requires bed making.

At the other end of the design brief is the Adria Twin (et al) with fixed beds (French, transverse, twin singles) which are great for sleeping but not so good for relaxing/washng/showering.

A compromise which only the OP can settle on.

I see your point.

Can anyone explain why seats are fitted with knee rolls?

The advantage of a front lounge is that it integrates the front seats which can offer good support, particularly if you have a bad back.

I agree, the advantage of a front lounge is the use of the swivelled captain's chairs which provide feet up lounging using the sofas and have armrests and can recline. This has to be more comfortable than perching in an upright backed sofa. We drive, recline and dine from our cab seats as they are so comfortable.

Guest 1footinthegrave

"Can anyone explain why seats are fitted with knee rolls?"

I guess because the first thing a prospective purchaser will do is try out the seating, and it does make for a comfortable seat. Make it up into a bed and it becomes a pain in the butt, quite literally.

Archived