Bike rack

cerro

Some thiveing B--------- stole my bike rack of the back of my motor home on friday the brackets are still left on so why they stole it Im at a loss to understand, Its too light for scrap the problem is I dont know what make it was. can anyone tell me from the Photo as I dont want to start drilling holes again. Thank you for any help.

Guest JudgeMental

Blimey...I just fitted my latest one last week *-)

I have looked in my crystal ball and .......it says....wait a minute......just a sec........a......Mmmm ..Fiamma?

Guest JudgeMental
Caddies104 - 2012-03-03 1:10 PM

Are you really sure Judge, have another look??

its still there *-) as I can see it as its out front on drive...will move it round back behind the gates soon as don't want to loose the cat and the rack, or the spare or even the wheels...God things are getting bad :-S

cerro - 2012-03-03 12:21 PMSome thiveing B--------- stole my bike rack of the back of my motor home on friday the brackets are still left on so why they stole it Im at a loss to understand, Its too light for scrap the problem is I dont know what make it was. can anyone tell me from the Photo as I dont want to start drilling holes again. Thank you for any help.
 If the brackets are still there , are you sure it did not just fall off somewhere ?

vindiboy - 2012-03-03 2:55 PM

cerro - 2012-03-03 12:21 PMSome thiveing B--------- stole my bike rack of the back of my motor home on friday the brackets are still left on so why they stole it Im at a loss to understand, Its too light for scrap the problem is I dont know what make it was. can anyone tell me from the Photo as I dont want to start drilling holes again. Thank you for any help.
 If the brackets are still there , are you sure it did not just fall off somewhere ?

Saw this happen once, with two bikes on it, we were behind and had to steer well clear. A policeman saw it and stopped the lady driver.

PJay

Hi Cerro

Sorry you are a victim of the B**************'s

The commonest two makes fitted by Dealers are the Fiamma & Omnistor(Thule). (Fiamma are the most common)

The links are just to shown the differences between the two makes, which may help you to identify which you had.

Then do a "google" search for various suppliers / prices.

Omnistor / Thule

http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/Caravan/caravan_accessories/Omnistor_bike_racks.aspx

Fiamma

http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/Caravan/caravan_accessories/Fiamma_Bike_Racks.aspx

Guest JudgeMental
cerro - 2012-03-04 2:04 AM

Thank you Flicka It was a Fiamma at £168.28 so will check measurements and then send for one. Regards Gordon

If you tell us actual model we may be able to help with security ideas....

I use our 2 kryptonite cables (which we normally use to secure wheels with D lock when out and about) to secure bikes to frame...I loop the cable to bikes and frame together, and secure ends of cables with padlock to rear towing point just under rear bumper. after your incident I might start doing this just with the rack...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000UKJ67S/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000NORUJW&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=16YP3C3YA85K9Z36K0HT

we use D locks and a chain as well *-) Our bikes cost £2000 each so I do what I can...

Gordon,

We too have a Fiamma rack on the back of our MH and I never leave it on when the MH is parked on the drive at home.

For the sake of 2 minutes with a spanner I remove it and store it in the garage where it stays safe and clean.

I have often considered adding some form of extra security to the lower fixings but my current ideas would only work when the bikes where loaded to prevent the rack from being folded up.

Don't forget that it is no use purely securing the bikes to the rack as it is just as easy to remove the rack with bikes secured as it is without!

And sorry about your loss.

Keith.

cerro - 2012-03-03 12:21 PM

Some thiveing B--------- stole my bike rack of the back of my motor home on friday the brackets are still left on so why they stole it Im at a loss to understand, Its too light for scrap the problem is I dont know what make it was. can anyone tell me from the Photo as I dont want to start drilling holes again. Thank you for any help.

Cerro - why not have a look on Ebay or on the buy/sell adds of the various motorhome forums as you might find a good second hand one instead of spending a load of dosh on a new one. If you find one 'in your locality' you know where your's has gone!!! 8-)

Keithl - 2012-03-04 11:59 AM

I have often considered adding some form of extra security to the lower fixings but my current ideas would only work when the bikes where loaded to prevent the rack from being folded up.

Don't forget that it is no use purely securing the bikes to the rack as it is just as easy to remove the rack with bikes secured as it is without!

Keith.

I've realised that I posted the following on the wrong thread about bikes/bike security, so I repost here in order to respond to the above:

==

...I'm always a bit wary of making things so secure that additional damage is caused by trying to remove them, but, I have seen one solution in use, and used another one myself many years ago.

A suitable long (and wide) shackle padlock can be used, replacing one or both of the bottom mounting bolts meaning that it cannot be unbolted. (beware of the quality of the shackle, however).

Alternatively, buy the "Paulchen" accessory (140200) from the top left of this page:

http://www.merkau.de/paulchen-zubehoer.html

I had a Paulchen rack for my first (VW) van many years ago, and fitted two of these. The knurled "wheel" replaces the normal nut on the mounting point bolt, and then allows a padlock to be passed through it. The padlock simply acts as an "interference" device, sticking out far enough sideways such that it would hit the 'van wall if an attempt is made to unscrew it (i.e. you cannot turn the knurled wheel to undo it, because there isn't enough clearance). It will, of course, only work if your mounts and bolts are close to the rear wall of the 'van.

Brute force or power tools will defeat either of these, but it provides some deterrent at least.

-----

Guest JudgeMental
you can do nothing against professional thieves with a battery powered disc cutter....It is only the opportunist numb nuts that you can hope to persuade, and get them to move to an easy target.... *-)

Archived