Electric Step

panzerpaddy

Hi, I have a problem with the above equipment, normally it automatically retracts on engine start up, this however does NOT happen. Step operates normally from the switch therefore assume it is not a fuse problem. I would appreciate any assistance to rectify. Thanks (?)

Hi

Welcome to the Forum

Wish I could remember, what the problem was when something similar happened on our old Van, but I would check that there is not a separate fuse around the Cab area that controls the step via the ignition..

Sure you will have advice soon, so don't worry....

Derek

Hi "Paddy," welcome.

Derek's right - there should be a wire from the ignition, which will probably have an inline fuse on it.

The fuse may have blown, or the wire become disconnected in some way, but without knowing just how your van is laid out underneath it's hard to say where you should start looking.

The step's motor has one power supply wire coming from the switch: it's the other wire you need to look at (and if possible follow to its source at the ignition switch).

Rest assured it WILL be a simple electrical fault, not a nasty expensive repair to the step itself. Otherwise the manual switch wouldn't still be working.

panzerpaddy

It would be helpful to know what motorhome you own (make/model/year) and what make of step (just in case it isn't an Omnistep).

The problem you have described seems fairly common, but there are several possible causes. Suggest you use the following link to look through earlier discussions.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/search/query.asp?action=search&searchforumid=all&keywords=omnistep&author=&days=&Submit=Search

(As Tony advises, it's likely that the cause is a simple electrical fault like a poor earth, disconnected wire or loose connection.)

Isn't the usual problem that the micro switch on the back of the step gets stuck with road dirt and jams in the 'retracted' position?

When the step is out look for a small microswitch that will be contacted when the step is fully retracted and try cleaning it. BUT be very wary what you do in case the step decides to retract while you are cleaning it.

Also remember that this microswitch takes power from the engine battery and not the habitation battery as the internal switch normally does.

Hi Panzerpaddy

Welcome to the Forum. It's the right place for advice.

Is your fridge still working on 12 volt !!! The inline fuse that Derek and Tom mentioned, on my van, connects both to the step and the 12 volt fridge, from the engine battery, as opposed to the leisure batteries, as has been mentioned.

On my van, they hid this just behind the engine battery (and when I said hid, I mean hid!).

Hope this is the fault - if so, it will save a lot of trouble. But, as Tom said, whatever it is it doesn't sound expensive.

Best of luck

Alan

We have an autoquest 145 and have just fixed our step with the same problem.

It's the white rocker switch side mounted on the step.

It has already got a rubberised cover to protect the switch but still got moisture in it and the switch is only 6 months old as I had already changed it before. I have since made and fit a 2mm thick plate as an extra deflector. Good luck and hope it works for you.

happycamper60 - 2012-03-09 7:46 PM

We have an autoquest 145 and have just fixed our step with the same problem.

It's the white rocker switch side mounted on the step.

It has already got a rubberised cover to protect the switch but still got moisture in it and the switch is only 6 months old as I had already changed it before. I have since made and fit a 2mm thick plate as an extra deflector. Good luck and hope it works for you.

Although it's qute likely that the potential causes of the problem panzerpaddy described will be relevant to all makes/designs of electric step, there are differences in the steps themselves that affect the diagnosis and (hopefully) the cure.

Panzerpaddy has provided no information to identify his motorhome or step. You have identified your motorhome, but not the make/design of its step. Probably the most common make of step is the "Omnistep", but not all Omnisteps have the same design. For instance, you refer to a rocker-switch mounted on the step's side and Keithl mentions a microswitch on the back of the step and externally accessible. But are those steps Omnisteps?

My Hobby's common-or-garden slide-out 'cassette design' Omnistep does not have a rocker-switch on it. Although it does have a microswitch that registers when the step is fully retracted, that switch is located inside the step's cassette and can't be accessed or cleaned without first disassembling the step.

Many Thanks for the numerous quick responses on this problem, regret delay in me responding this has been caused by the death on Saturday of a friend (ex military). As a novice in these matters I forgot to include details of the vehicle therefore for those waiting for this info, in case further advice will be offered, its a Swift Sundance 590RS, and an Omni-Step.

There will be possible delays again in any respose caused by the above problem, so apologies in advance for this.

By returning to my novice statement as well, I hope that all responders can read this one reply, or do you have to respond to each one?

All of your advice will be worked on asp.

Thanks again PP

Archived