Satellite Help Required

bounty hunter

Currently in southern Greece and experiencing problems as follows ~

System ~ Oyster vision 2 with 85cm dish fitted on van when bought second hand last year.

Symptoms ~ Driving down through Germany it was taking 2-3 attempts to find Astra 2, system telling me "satellite not found". Just presumed something in way and never bothered as we always eventually got it. On entering Italy nothing so switched to Astra 1 and still nothing. Not really bothered about tv so just carried on to Greece tried again and still nothing but dish keeps searching and does not display ."satellite not found".

Actions so far ~ As I knew nothing about satellite out came the instructions which advise changing "skew angle to -12 degrees". At this popint didn't even know what LNB was but it's amazing how quick you learn. On to roof and LNB is currently set at -20 degrees. Have tried various positions for LNB but still nothing. Have tried re-setting system using control panel and no difference. All other functions appear to be working and satellite does respond to requests from control panel.

Question ~ Can LNB go wrong

As we are on site 150klms from Athens it's not too bad as we have a free remote connection so we do have Astra 1 but we are moving on Monday heading to Turkey and would like, if possible, to have system working as Formula 1 starts on 18th..

We have internet today and don't think we will have it again till 24th so can only respond today.

Many thanks in advance.

John

Yes LNB's can go wrong, I had to replace two out of the five on my home system last year.

Another (possibly more common) problem on movable dishs is the cable joints coming loose or damage to cable, check them first.

Note that reception of Astra two in Turkey IMO will not be possible with your dish size, but F1 is availible on Astra 1 station RTL, Not sure if you'll be able to pick that up I guess so, also will be in german

Thanks Colin. Can I fit any LNB or does it need to be an Oyster one? The one fitted is made in Czech Republic. Walking round site i have seen 1 or 2 redundant dishes and wondered about fitting one of these.

As a matter of interest how does a satelllite work as there is only the co-ax cable going to LNB?

John

I'm afraid I don't know enough about Oyster to advise you on LNB, note there might be a common fault with Oyster that someone might know about.

The spec for LNB's has been same for well over 10 years now. The 'co-ax' for Sat is of a higher spec than normal tv, it has to pass differant freq signals and also send back 'signal' to switch LNB.

What type of receiver do you have. A lot of people are having trouble with sky digiboxes since the astra 1n was launched and the astra 2d was decommisioned on the 23 FEB.

People with freesat boxes are getting even better reception now

Richard at Conil Spain

Hi

Before you fit a new LNB if you are using a Sky box try this transponder reset. I had same problem late last year when Sky changed the transponder without telling anyone!

Switch Oyster on allow to go to automatic search,

Hold right hand > button in ,

Do not let go

Frequency numbers will come in led screen

Change to 11307H or 11178V with left < button

When complete release buttons and allow Oyster to lock on (normally about a minute.)

Hope this helps

Mike

colin - 2012-03-08 12:21 PM

Yes LNB's can go wrong, I had to replace two out of the five on my home system last year.

Colin, why would you have 5 LNBs at home as this requires 5 dishes!

We have one dish with a quad LNB which means that the LNB can receive one signal from the air and split it into 4 so that we can run two twin-tuner Sky+ HD boxes.

Just curious as you can even have an 'octo' (8 signal) LNB these days.

bolero boy - 2012-03-08 3:26 PM

colin - 2012-03-08 12:21 PM

Colin, why would you have 5 LNBs at home as this requires 5 dishes!

We have one dish with a quad LNB which means that the LNB can receive one signal from the air and split it into 4 so that we can run two twin-tuner Sky+ HD boxes.

Just curious as you can even have an 'octo' (8 signal) LNB these days.

Just realised, I don't have 5 LNB's I have 7, on three dish's all 'looking' at different satellites. The Astra 2 dish has a quad feeding two IDTV's and one PVR. The other two dish's each have three LNB's two of which are offset. One of these days I'll get around to installing a motorised dish.

Archived