automatic transmission

monstrous

hi Monstrous and welcome to the forum,

The simple answer is Yes!

For example, a quick search on eBay for "Automatic MotorHome" brings up 47 vehicles ranging in price from £4,000 to £65,000 so plenty of choice.

Start looking at what size and layout you think you want and then ask what is available as an auto.

Keith.

Hello Monstrous Welcome !

Yes, there are,depending on how much you have to spend, and what size van you are looking for.

Older syle Ford Transits used to do a 'Conventional' style of Automatic Transmission, and a lot of Autosleeper vans had it fitted, Legend, Duetto,Pollensa to name a few.

Fiat/Citroen/Peugeot (Sevel) NEVER did do an Automatic until the latest version (2007) then it always(until this year) had to have a 3litre engine,and it is a 'Robotic' manual rather than a 'Full' torque converter Auto. As MOST Motorcaravan converters used these chassis, hence the abscence of a lot of automaticson the second hand market.

Renault, the Master has a VERY good robotic automatic gearbox, and has been fitted to many vans converted onto this chassis, this i think would be your best bet on the 'reasonably recent' Second-hand market. and makes a good 'Disabled user' gearbox. Plus it gives better MPG than standard Torque converter gearboxes.

Mercedes USED to do a good reliable Torque converter gearbox, BUT they changed it for a 'Sprintshift' robotic gearbox, which has NOT been as reliable, and has been withdrawn ?? whether it has been fixed and re-intoduced I don't know ?? But I would avoid one (a Mercedes)fitted with this box, Unless you get at LEAST a 3 year warranty on the Clutch/Gearbox/flywheel assy. you can do without the hassle.

Others might know of other Vehicles with Auto gearboxes suitable for the disabled, Iveco ?

Good luck in your search.

;-) Ray

The Sevel system is a normal gearbox with clutch but uses a computer to make the changes for you. I have never driven one but from the various test reports it seems to work very well. Some people, inlcuding me, are unhappy that that system does not have the 'creep factor' that many torque drive units have as this allows crawling along in traffic queues to be a lot easier, also hill starts will rely on the handbrake as per a manual vehicle. One thing that did come out of the reports was that the 'auto' versions of the Sevel system did not appear to suffer the reverse judder issue that some manuals appear to have.

The torque systems are older and can be slightly heavier on fuel, so it is a matter of personal choice.

I would suggest avoiding the older Ford system as it was not very good and changes could be very jerky. Some may disagree but that comment is based on the various reports I have read over the years. Even Ford eventually dropped it. There was rumours they were going to put the Mondeo system in the Transit but nothing has come of it. Similarly the Renault system of earlier years is also not the best when compared with auto cars for example.

My own opinion is the Mercedes system is still the best if you want a traditional automatic system, but of course you pay a premium.

By the way buying one will probably mean a higher price than for the equivalent manual as autos are popular and of course in much shorter supply than manuals. Also, i do not know your disability but many vehicles can be modified to suit your requirements and that may mean a greater choice available to you.

Bolly1965 - 2012-03-11 3:45 PM

what is a 'robotic' gearbox? is it clutchless but you still have to change gears manually?

A robotic system uses a clutch and manual gearbox with electronics controlling the changes, NO clutch pedal is fitted or needed, you can select 'Manual changes' but obviously without having to push in a clutch. The Renault system has been around for quite a few years, and there should be quite a few on the second hand market, the only limiting factor being that not every manufacturer coverted onto Renault chassis. There was a period 2005-2006 before the 'New' X250 Sevel chassis came onstream in greater numbers when more Renaults were used. Ray

Dave225 - 2012-03-11 4:09 PM

The Sevel system is a normal gearbox with clutch but uses a computer to make the changes for you. I have never driven one but from the various test reports it seems to work very well.

Some people, inlcuding me, are unhappy that that system does not have the 'creep factor' that many torque drive units have as this allows crawling along in traffic queues to be a lot easier, also hill starts will rely on the handbrake as per a manual vehicle.

One thing that did come out of the reports was that the 'auto' versions of the Sevel system did not appear to suffer the reverse judder issue that some manuals appear to have.

Dave your information is wrong, if you had driven one you would know about how the brakes work in conjunction with the gearbox to stop you rolling back

Thats good news, it means that they (new sevel automatics) are good for Disabled users, who find it hard to apply a handbrake, and operate other hand controls at the same time.

Unlikely that there are many on the second user market yet though. It is an expensive 'mod' on a Sevel at the moment, until it (robotic gearbox) is available on 2.3 's as well as 3 litre. and presumably still not available on Peugeots ? Ray

"Mercedes USED to do a good reliable Torque converter gearbox, BUT they changed it for a 'Sprintshift' robotic gearbox, which has NOT been as reliable, and has been withdrawn ?? whether it has been fixed and re-intoduced I don't know ?? But I would avoid one (a Mercedes)fitted with this box, Unless you get at LEAST a 3 year warranty on the Clutch/Gearbox/flywheel assy. you can do without the hassle.   

I have a Sprintshift Merc, and I find it the finest Machine I have Owned/ drove, 4000 mile in France Last year without a blip, it Has plenty of power to spare ,I,m always in the right gear whatever the situation, its reliable beyond doubt, they did have injector problems early on, now cured,  dont cross it off your list till you have tried one. Proof of the Pudding and all that.  (look at how many the "White Van brigade drive ).

Archived