motorhome recovery over 3.5tons

moodles

Join the Camping and Caravanning Club and through them join RAC Arrival. This has nearl all the preclusions removed. (This is what we have done)

A similar deal with another service is available through the Caravan Club.

C.

I have actually had occasion to test my RAC C&CC policy and it works! They had to go back and get a bigger recovery truck, but luckily the RAC had subcontracted to a local firm and it didn't take very long. It was a nightmare to get the van on the truck because of the long overhang and a particularly lowslung PWS towbar, but the guy took great care and I cannot praise him enough. It was a bit hairy at times though. I'll try to attach a photo but I don't usually have much luck.

The arrival cover RAC with CCC is only good for 90 days  on the Continent so no good for us, The CCc will Insure my Bungalow for 180 days away so why not  my vehicle, I have taken this  up with them several times but  can't get any sense out of them , so I am with Comfort .

We've been with RAC Arrival for many years and have been very satisfied until now. We have the motorhome and my husband's vehicle for work (a Mercedes Vito). When phoning to renew I learned that the Vito has not been covered by the policy since 2008.This was news to me, particularly as the RAC had resolved a problem with the Vito a year or so ago. I usually read small print and addendums carefully so don't understand how I missed the info that commercial vehicles had to be on a different policy.  We've been told the Vito has to be covered separately, under the RAC Small Business Policy (another £122).  Needless to say we're now shopping around. It looks as though Green Flag will cover both (and for less than we're currently paying) but I'll look at Comfort etc

ike

Hi Valerie

RAC Personal membership cover is for the individual, not a specific vehicle, but there are size / weight restrictions applicable.

From the RAC website:-

Your question

Are there any vehicle and caravan (trailer) restrictions when applying for European Breakdown Cover?

Your answer

In order to qualify for RAC European Breakdown Cover, your vehicle must:

¦be registered in the UK

¦be five years old or under at the start of the journey

¦have a maximum legal laden weight of 3,500kg (3.5 tonnes). This weight is called the Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM)

¦have maximum overall dimensions of: length 7m; height 3m; width 2.25m (all including any load carried).

Vehicles six years old and over may be covered on payment of an additional premium.

The cover is only valid when the journey commences from the UK territory and returns to the UK territory.

Caravans and baggage or boat trailers must have a Gross Vehicle Mass of under not over 3,500kg (3.5 tonnes) and carry a roadworthy spare wheel and tyre.

Caravans and trailers (including towbar) must not be more 7m in length, 3m in height and 2.25m in width.

For a full list of vehicle restrictions for RAC European Breakdown Cover, please see European Breakdown Cover Terms and Conditions." (There is a link on their website for these)

Therefore the WIDTH restriction will apply to almost ALL Coachbuilt or A Class Motorhomes.

After a lot of research I've concluded that, for me, it's less about price (not that I have a lot of money.........I should be so lucky!) and more about quality/reliability of service.

I currently have cover under my insurance, but all I have is a phone number and I have considerable doubts about how much help I will get stuck in the middle of Europe with a serious problem.

After many years of driving cars long distances at home and abroad, I rate the AA highest for determination in solving technical problems and overall reliability. But I object to their cavalier approach to renewals where they give everyone the highest rate and offer substantial discounts to those who phone up to complain. How many just pay up? And there have been many hiccups with overseas cover by several UK services.

I wasn't impressed with Green Flag 30+ years ago but I believe that they have improved quite a lot. They must have done if the Caravan Club work with them.

Based on my research through insurance posts on many different Forums, I have settled on CC's MayDay service in the UK and their Red Pennant service abroad. From what I have read, nobody else does more to get you back on the road/to continue your trip in a replacement vehicle or to get you and the vehicle home............time will tell  *-)

Hi Flica

It seams I have been paying the RAC through C&CC for European cover, that I would not have got, my Vehicle does not fit their criteria, its an A Class 9yrs old and weighs 3.7 ton.

Will check with them ASAP.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention

Regards Val

P.S Got my ezetow trailer, its a good bit of kit, just making some small alterations.

fairweather camper - 2012-03-18 5:45 PM

Hi Flica

It seams I have been paying the RAC through C&CC for European cover, that I would not have got, my Vehicle does not fit their criteria, its an A Class 9yrs old and weighs 3.7 ton.

Will check with them ASAP.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention

Regards Val

P.S Got my ezetow trailer, its a good bit of kit, just making some small alterations.

Val,

the conditions posted by John (Flicka) are those for "standard" RAC membership.

If you are indeed an Arrival member through the C&CC, a number of conditions are relaxed or removed, particularly those that are associated with weight, dimensions and age of vehicle.

You can also sign up for (as I have done) personal and mutiple membership through the Arrival scheme, allowing, for example, for multi-car ownership in a family.

From what you have posted, I don't think there is a problem with your cover (your vehicle appears to slip "under the bar" for the relaxed Arrival-specific rules), but if you want to be sure, the Arrival Ts&Cs are here:

http://media.rac.co.uk/pdf/terms_and_conditions_arrival.pdf

• 1 year later...

Hello

Once I was Stuck in Highway near Liverpool.Actually My car had been broken down and almost 3.45 am time.I got stuck, I just dont understand what to do now, then My friend told me call to Ajk Recovery service, I called them and you know they found me in just 20 minutes. They are fantastic.

Thanks

Stacy Plumber

Archived