How is Brownhills Service Centre nowadays?

Brock

Brownhills serviced my Rapido last November - about £300 for a full service. May have been a special offer in the quiet season. Parked in their overnight facility to let them make an early start on it. I think they also open their workshop at weekends, though I do not know if you have to pay extra for that. Probably not the cheapest, but they do seem to be making more of an effort to achieve customer satisfaction these days, and I was certainly happy with what they did.

Hi Brock

We are going to Newark on Sunday for a service on Monday, staying 2nights, so making use of a free stopover and using there leisure pool, and bistro.. Also nice ride in to Newark for a bit of shopping, and a trip over the road to the pub for a meal at Table Table, (funny name I know, ) but we enjoy the trip and make a few days of it... Each to there own.....

Service is £200

Habitation , £235

Derek & Pauline

Dave Newell - 2012-03-18 6:17 PM

Keithl - 2012-03-18 6:14 PM

Dave Newell - 2012-03-18 5:07 PM

Why not try an independent workshop?

D.

I hear there's a very good independent workshop not too far from you Brock Link :D :D :D

We REALLY need a like button on this forum :D

D.

There used to be one, but it never got used and rusted up solid.

;-)

Caddies104 - 2012-03-18 6:42 PM

Hi Brock

We are going to Newark on Sunday for a service on Monday, staying 2nights, so making use of a free stopover and using there leisure pool, and bistro.. Also nice ride in to Newark for a bit of shopping, and a trip over the road to the pub for a meal at Table Table, (funny name I know, ) but we enjoy the trip and make a few days of it... Each to there own.....

Service is £200

Habitation , £235

Derek & Pauline

What the heck do they do for the £235 habitation ... give everything a wipe down with gold inpregnated polish!!!!! 8-)

Try RDH Services Ltd:

http://rdhservicesltd.co.uk/default.aspx

Only £80 for a full habitation including damp test and gas test!!!

Mel B - 2012-03-18 9:56 PM

Caddies104 - 2012-03-18 6:42 PM

Hi Brock

Service is £200

Habitation , £235

Derek & Pauline

What the heck do they do for the £235 habitation ... give everything a wipe down with gold inpregnated polish!!!!! 8-)

They let you use the swimming pool, stay overnight and make more profit from the Bistro. When enquiries were made of a large dealership about what they do for the money - the reply was - We switch on the lights, cooker, fridge, boiler etc to see if they work properly, gas leakage and damp test. When asked if they put right any faults found, the reply was yes - at an agreed extra cost when authorised by the customer. A member of staff freely admitted that most of these checks could and would be carried out by the owner during the course of using their motorhome. I guess it all depends on if you want a recognised stamp in the service book. For most dealers, I guess it is not worth the cost and time of booking your vehicle in, driving it into their workshop etc, just for a gas leakage check, so they only offer a complete package.

As Brock says - You pays your money and make your choice. For me, although reluctantly due to cost, I use a main dealer for peace of mind and that all important stamp in the service book. Hopefully being fully serviced resale value is enhanced.

However there is one independant who posts on here that I would use if i lived nearer.

Mike

We went back to Brownhills for our Service, MoT and Hab check - for the stamp - they are an official Fiat Service Centre now, and they had a recall for our motorhome's (also a Hymer 544 - 56) speedo that they replaced free of charge. The old one was about 8-10 mph out! We wouldn't have got that dealt with if we had gone to an independant garage. They also found a problem with our fridge/freezer that they put right, but we had to pay for and then we asked for the Air Con to be re-gassed and filters to be changed. Before coming away, they mentioned that we needed a new lock on the passenger door that we asked to be done when we bought it, they just put a new barrel in the glove box, but it was fitted for us on this visit. We had 2 nights stayover as it took them 2 days to do all the work.

All in all, we were very pleased with our visit to Brownhills for servicing etc. but we are now looking around for an independant dealer for the next one, as we feel that everything outstanding is now completed and we need to save a little more.

Dave Newell - 2012-03-18 6:17 PM
Keithl - 2012-03-18 6:14 PM
Dave Newell - 2012-03-18 5:07 PMWhy not try an independent workshop?D.
I hear there's a very good independent workshop not too far from you Brock Link :D :D :D
We REALLY need a like button on this forum :D D.

here you are

like_button_big.jpg.a47782a56ba4ad27148b47a9fd5c3d6d.jpg

Guest Peter James
I do all my own servicing and repairs, but as I live in Newark I know one of Brownhills service mechanics. I have found him to be extremely knowlegable about the Fiat Ducato, and a thoroughly nice bloke.

For those who need to know,,,, habitation from Brownhills is...

Check gas hose condition

Check visible gas pipes

Test regulator

Test fridge 12v & 240v

Test water heater

Test ultraheat

Test sockets 12v & 240v

Test charging system 12v & 240v

Test RCD/MCB trips

Check lights 12v & 240v

Check mains inlet

Check fire ignition

Check hob ignition

Check auxiliary battery level

Test control panel

Check space heater

Check water heater

Check inlet/exhaust duct

Check fuel pipe

Check taps/micro switches

Test system leaks

Check waste gauge/tap

Check fresh water gauge/tap

Check water dump valve

Test pump/pressure switch

Check Thetford seals

Drain down system

Lube door lock operation

Check roof vents

Test smoke alarm

Check floor delamination

Test road lights

Lube step and test

Lube corner steadies and test

Check exterior seals

Check habitation air conditioning

Check fire extinguisher date

Check habitation door retainer

Test window stays

Print out carbon monoxide test

Certify damp test

Print out auxiliary batteries test

Certify gas soundness test

We go because we enjoy the days there, get some swimming in, good food, a great pub over the road,look around the new vans, a good experience all round.... But each to there own

Derek & Pauline

tugga - 2012-03-19 9:44 PM

Yeah, we always enjoy our trips there, for exactly the same reasons. Didn't know there was a pub over the road though - one to bear in mind next time we are there.

Yes it,s called ..... Odd I know..... Table Table!!...out of gate turn left cross over main road and it's in front of you, next to Mc or Kentucky....also bus into Newark, again turn left and walk about 400 yds to bus stop.

Derek & Pauline

Thanks Tugga, my speedo has always been out 8 - 10mph. Just had it serviced at an independent and they never mentioned the recall. It's not been reading right since we bought it new.

Spoke to Alison this Friday afternoon at Brownhills and she was very helpful although Brownhills ignored the email I sent them last week. My van is affected by the recall and it needs attention.

I need some Hymer parts ordering and fitting and with their weekend working [no additional charge], it will probably suit my working life. I'll get a service and a Fiat repair.

Guest peter
Caddies104 - 2012-03-19 6:31 PM

For those who need to know,,,, habitation from Brownhills is...

Check gas hose condition

Check visible gas pipes

Test regulator

Test fridge 12v & 240v

Test water heater

Test ultraheat

Test sockets 12v & 240v

Test charging system 12v & 240v

Test RCD/MCB trips

Check lights 12v & 240v

Check mains inlet

Check fire ignition

Check hob ignition

Check auxiliary battery level

Test control panel

Check space heater

Check water heater

Check inlet/exhaust duct

Check fuel pipe

Check taps/micro switches

Test system leaks

Check waste gauge/tap

Check fresh water gauge/tap

Check water dump valve

Test pump/pressure switch

Check Thetford seals

Drain down system

Lube door lock operation

Check roof vents

Test smoke alarm

Check floor delamination

Test road lights

Lube step and test

Lube corner steadies and test

Check exterior seals

Check habitation air conditioning

Check fire extinguisher date

Check habitation door retainer

Test window stays

Print out carbon monoxide test

Certify damp test

Print out auxiliary batteries test

Certify gas soundness test

Wow that is impressive. :D

1242749315_bullshit_amplifier-detector.gif.35cc2e50e019b59f94b0441766511d7f.gif

• 4 weeks later...

I never got to find out!

I sent several emails - unanswered - telephoned them [lovely lady answered the call] but couldn't get very far with others. I later spoke to another lady who took down all my particulars to book a service - no smirking, please - and then after all that, said I needed to speak to parts department which was shut [it was the weekend] before booking in. Despite her assurances they would ring me back, nobody did and I gave up trying to contact them.

Shame really because I am in the market for a new van over the next 2 years in time for retirement. I have always had a soft spot for Brownhills because when I first started looking for a motorhome in 1995, they were a great place to visit as they always had a range of vans on show. They opened my eyes to the joys of motorhoming. They have gone out of their way since then on several occasions to make it difficult for me to do business with them so apart from the odd purchase in the accessory shop, I have bought and had serviced my 5 vans [total value c£175,000] from elsewhere.

I've booked into Hambilton Engineering who were just as easy to deal with as they have always been. I know the work will be good because the other work they've done for me has been and their reputation has always been high. Rosie in the office is an absolute gem. I know I should have gone there in the first place but I had one eye on buying my next van which may not be a Hymer. And my soft spot for Brownhills said I should give the current set up a chance to impress.

Thanks to all who commented on Brownhills. I am pleased they have some satisfied customers. And Dave Newell also gives good service based on the work he did for me!

Archived