Carrying Spare Diesel

francisgraham

After a scary experience when I made it into a French service station with the engine spluttering, I have decided to carry some spare diesel.

10 litres should be enough in a plastic (or metal?) can. Does diesel fuel degrade or emulsify or whatever? Is it necessary to pour it in the tank every few months and refill with fresh? And if so what's the time scale?

Thank you.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always regarded diesel as having a shelf-life (much like petrol). It would appear, however, that even advised opinion is divided on what it is. Personally, I wouldn't want to store any significant amount for more than a couple of months or so.

You should also remember that the formulation varies by season, with more additives inhibiting waxing being added in the run-up to, and over winter. Whilst this probably wouldn't create problems with summer use, the reverse might well cause a problem (particularly in the colder climes of continental Europe).

If you are to keep an auxiliary supply, then I would suggest regularly "recycling" it as part of a fill-up.

On the other hand, as it is pretty smelly and unpleasant stuff to store, I would suggest you adopt the discipline of not letting your tank drop over-far between fill-ups (served me well over the years - though I've certainly thought I was running on fumes a few time in the car in the Highlands) - I understand it is a well recognised male syndrome to avoid filling up until (or beyond :-() the last possible opportunity. :-|

If we had to answer, then pastic I think,,,,, but better would be, let 1/2 tank be your empty, so when nearing 1/2 start thinking must fill up, never again will you panic .... I know you may use more fuel being more full than empty, but running so low is not good either....

Remember to make sure you can get the fuel from your storage can into the fuel filler neck. You may need a flexible stem funnel. Be a bit embarrassing to run out only to discover you can't get the fuel in. By the way letting a modern diesel engine run out of fuel is not a good idea!

Guest Tracker

Personally speaking the last thing I want in my van is a can of smelly diesel that will always leave a very hard to shift residue from your hands when you use it.

Diesel does not evaporate quickly like petrol so any tiny spillage from filling or emptying will need to be carefully removed before stowing the can and whatever you use to clean it disposed of - preferably not inside the van - unless you enjoy the aromatics .

Far better in my view to treat quarter full as empty and fill up every 250 to 300 miles which is not a bad range for us - even in remotest Norway and Finland!

I know, it's easy to be wise after the event but the computer on my new 'van told me that I had forty miles left and then, five miles later, it changed its mind and decided that I'd only fifteen!

I hadn't thought about ferries so thank you for that, but I normally use the tunnel anyway.

I think my solution will be to fill a ten litre plastic tank when I first fill up in Calais and then I'll have the security of the 'diesel-crutch' in case I'm stupid again!

Before leaving France on my last night I shall pour it in the tank whilst it's still fairly fresh. I'm not too bothered about the smell. I always wear gloves and my 'van has a capacious garage where the can of diesel can be tucked away.

Thanks for the advice which has been useful.

Guest Tracker

Ah - the joys of relying on a computer prediction!

But at least it should only happen once!

Whenever we change vans or cars I always brim fill, zero the trip odometer, then drive it until quarter of a tank of fuel remains and then brim fill it again and note the miles and zero the odo again.

That way I know both roughly the mpg and the range and the computer can show what it likes because the zeroed trip odometer will always tell me how far I've gone from which I know how many miles remain - and looking at the fuel gauge also gives me a good clue too!

I do have a confession though - we did run out in Finland because the first filling station was 5 miles further from the last one in Norway that I had fuel for - but I never expected them to be 160 miles apart - honest.

It meant a lift from a very lovely Finnish lass - worth it for that alone - but spoilt by the 5 mile hike back carrying 8 litres of diesel in a borrows can - flippin heavy after a mile or two in the 33 degree heat and midges as big as bumble bees Finnish summer!!

But like you, FG, I won't make the same mistake again!!

....you may, then, find this page useful. (It may save you having to empty the container on the way back)

http://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/carriage-of-reserve-fuel-containers/

BTW, did you replace your orignal 'van as planned, and what did you get?

I know you were looking at the Transit-based Hobby - a vehicle I can get close to 600 miles (indicated) on a tank without a lot of effort. It's thus not too painful to keep it topped up at the half-tank stage.

As has been said, fill up when1/4 full or near, no problem, we have driven many 100s miles in single

Trips, no problem. As m/Homes normaly have a large tank, why carry another few litres, absolutely

Pointless, plus the chance of smells.

Guest pelmetman

If you had an old banger like mine Francis :D..........you could top it up from the chip pan if caught short ;-)

francisgraham - 2012-03-22 8:12 PM

I know, it's easy to be wise after the event but the computer on my new 'van told me that I had forty miles left and then, five miles later, it changed its mind and decided that I'd only fifteen!

I have 3 read out settings on my car which I can choose. 1) How much fuel is in the tank (can be a bit finiky going up or down hill) 2) Get an average over at set distance. 3) Instant..........If my foot is down it would tell's me that I will get 50miles, If I was taking it easier then it would tell me I will get 70 miles. Has your M/H got this type of set up, if it has you would be looking at the No 3

Dave

FG firstly - it is not good practice to run any fuel tank so low, condensation can occur in both a Filling Station Storage Tank & the Vehicle Fuel Tank.

Diesel & Petrol are both lighter than water. This can result in the fuel at the bottom of a tank being a mixture of Fuel & Water, so running on a low tank increases the possibility of drawing the mixture through to the engine.

Shelf life of Diesel, - Robin's comment are spot on regarding summer & winter grades being the main criteria.

Many of us fill the tank before winter & with little use, some of that fill will still be in the tank come spring.

Generally, when the gauge shows 1/4 full, you have approx 100mile range left, so fill at the first opportunity would be preferable (IMO) to carrying Diesel in the Motorhome.

Guest peter

If we get to half full in europe we start keeping an eye open for cheap diesel, then we don't have to panic and end up paying top euro for a fill up. We left belgium last year with just under a half tank of fuel aiming for the moselle via witlich and never saw a garage on the entire length of the motorway right into germany. We hit the moselle almost running on fumes and saw a garage near berncastle and was I relieved. I was sh*tting myself that we would run out and that would be a complete disaster. The running out of fuel that is. Anyway.....when I filled up we had 5 ltrs of fuel left in the tank. That was too close for comfort. So now we don't go below half tank.

You have to remember that europe is not like the u/k with loads of garages, they can be many miles appart and it can get a bit scary. So it's not worth the stress of getting too low.

A couple of years ago we were running short heading north from the south of France and when we pulled off into a town the supermarket was dlosed for the obligitory lunch break and I did not know how to use the fuel pump luckily after quite some time a French motorist came to fill up and using my card kindly filled me up as well , so a lesson learned when we are almost on half we look to fill up sometimes only 25 / 30 ltrs which we call a splash and dash , but I would never consider carrying a can of stinky diesel which would only be good for say 25 / 30 miles.

I do carry a can of diesel and circulate annually. I do not get odours from it as it is in a sealed container and stored in an external locker. I suppose in view of the above there is no real need to carry it however I have run short on occasions and it has been a saviour.

The only time the can has been used in earnest was to help out a stranded motorist who ran out and he was a happy bunny when I produced the can.

Will try to regiment myself to fill up quicker, particularly in France, but will still carry, its a bit like how many tools you carry that you may never use, but at least you no you have them.

Thanks for all the advice. Some points though. I'll never let my tank run out. If it was close and there was no sign of a petrol station I'll put the ten litres in well before it actually runs out.

Ten litres in a metal can would get me 60 miles if driving moderately, which of course I will be doing in order to conserve fuel.

For most men, there are things that are called 'distress purchases' which means that we only make them when we're forced to. Haircuts and petrol are two of them! I try to enforce a discipline of filling up well before I get low but occasionally circumstances conspire.

Thanks to Robinhood for the Eurotunnel information. How you get 600 miles from your 'van I do not know! I have the same model now and I'm lucky if I manage 500. I don't drive for economy though and if it's a motorway for instance and 70 mph is as comfortable and safe as 60 mph I find myself doing seventy.

I'm light-footed, but not slow (there is a difference). ;-)

For instance 65 to 70 indicated (mph) on Belgian/German/Danish Motorways this Summer saw 34.4mpg overall on the trip meter (I measure at roughly 32mpg for real).

Best part of two years in and I'm very satisfied with my 'van.

The only bone of contention is the "manifolds" in the water system, the cold one leaking from new, and the hot one leaked after our enforced winter lay-up this year. I've seen postings elsewhere on this problem (and a perceived inability to fix). The trick is to note that, whilst it is counter-intuitive, the pipe connections are tightened by "unscrewing" the retaining collar (which tightens the connection).

I've also had a small amount of warranty work done (one was a Hobby-specific window), and very promptly, illustrating the value of buying from a well-rated dealer.

If your 'van has the 3M water system in it, and you can't find the replacement (higher spec as originally fitted) biological filter in the UK (it's difficult) PM me and I'll give you a decent-priced German site that will ship to UK - I've recommended this to others successfully).

Robinhood - 2012-03-23 10:07 AMI'm light-footed, but not slow (there is a difference). ;-)For instance 65 to 70 indicated (mph) on Belgian/German/Danish Motorways this Summer saw 34.4mpg overall on the trip meter (I measure at roughly 32mpg for real).Best part of two years in and I'm very satisfied with my 'van.The only bone of contention is the "manifolds" in the water system, the cold one leaking from new, and the hot one leaked after our enforced winter lay-up this year. I've seen postings elsewhere on this problem (and a perceived inability to fix). The trick is to note that, whilst it is counter-intuitive, the pipe connections are tightened by "unscrewing" the retaining collar (which tightens the connection).I've also had a small amount of warranty work done (one was a Hobby-specific window), and very promptly, illustrating the value of buying from a well-rated dealer. If your 'van has the 3M water system in it, and you can't find the replacement (higher spec as originally fitted) biological filter in the UK (it's difficult) PM me and I'll give you a decent-priced German site that will ship to UK - I've recommended this to others successfully).

Thanks but I've already sorted this (I've had the 'van a few months now) and I've recently sourced a UK supplier at £60. This is for the E2 filter and the E1 is about £38. I don't need one yet but for when I do I thought it sensible to locate a supplier.

....if it's Campervanstuff, they are the only (cost-effective) potential supplier I found in the UK, but others have tried them, and they didn't have stock, nor an availability date.

Which is why I've recommended a German supplier to a couple of people who had tried that route!

Just under £70, and less than a week to deliver.

francisgraham - 2012-03-23 9:41 AM
Ten litres in a metal can would get me 60 miles if driving moderately, which of course I will be doing in order to conserve fuel.

y.

It depends a bit where you are touring.Certainly in Norway, 60 miles would not necessarily get you to a filling station - but in the busier parts of Europe it should be quite enough.I always understood that it's not a good idea to let your tank get too low as the engine will start to draw up the dregs from the bottom of the tank. :-|

If you run out of fuel with a diesel engine don't you have to have it primed etc? I don't think you can't just put more fuel in can you?

We carry a 5L can of diesel, and we have had to use it on 2 occasions - can't remember the first, but the second one was when the fuel stations were quite a distance apart and even though we had around half a tank when we arrived at the one we were planning on filling up at, it had been closed due to a hazard! Having the can meant we were okay and could continue without wory until the next one, which was quite some distance away. :-S

For the UK

If you generally travel on Motorways, but don't want to pay Motorway Service Station fuel prices,

load some of the Supermarket POI's in your Sat Nav (Tesco, Sainsburys, etc..) their POI's indicate if the Store has a Filling Station or not.

For France (& some other countries) try these POI's

http://www.gps-data-team.com/poi/france/petrol/

But strangely it doesn't include the most popular:- TOTAL & ELF.

(ELF stations although under TOTAL ownership, are now classed as a cheaper outlet)

I would be interested if anyone knows of a POI set for TOTAL / ELF

Archived