CL / CS expectations

ips

OK following on from my hook up post ...

(and hoping I dont get done for trolling which is not my intention, however another forum took that opinion when I posted a similar topic a few years ago. Mods note that there is no link to any specific CL this is purely an exercise to establish what makes a good site, thanks)

Here goes...

When looking for a CL-CS what are the things that attract you or what puts you off, what are absolute essential (not water waste etc which are required anyway) things like hard standing maybe or views or proximity to shops etc etc. Lack of elec maybe an issue etc.

Specific thoughts on what makes a really good site is the question.

Many thanks in advance.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tracker

We tend to only use a cl/cs when en route or passing through so for us all we want is a quiet location with a fresh water tap and a toilet emptying point.

Anything more like nice location, views, walks is a bonus and we certainly would not pay any optional extra for ehu or shower access etc. because our van has it's own facilities and I really can't be bothered faffing about walking over to showers or messing about with long cables when I have no need to!

I don't know how many motorhomers use the cl/cs network for longer stays but in the event we stayed more than a night or two then views, walks, environment etc become more relevant as does a hard standing when it is wet, although usually with site owner guidance a firm spot to stop on can be found - even if it is simply parked on or at the end of the access road/lane!

Tracker

We also dont like paying for ehu or showers cos never use em.

I prob need to put the same question on a caravan forum as there requirements seem to be totally different to ours, they dont seem to be able to manage without EHU for instance :-S

Guest Tracker
ips - 2012-03-28 3:37 PM

I prob need to put the same question on a caravan forum as there requirements seem to be totally different to ours, they don't seem to be able to manage without EHU for instance :-S

My thoughts exactly but being a shy and diplomatic old soul I didn't like to say so!

Apart from that I didn't want to start another riot between the ehuers and the non-ehuers!

A caravan is a different beastie anyway and as it does not go out during it's residency to recharge it's 12 volt leisure battery I can understand why they there tuggers are dedicated ehuers!

Personal point of view.

At least stabilised ground so that I can be sure of getting in/out even in wet weather. Doesn't have to be actual hardstanding - though that may be the cheapest remedy. (Excavate area and spread, level, and compact 200mm depth of type 2 road base material.) This is more critical for the drive in/out than for the pitches themselves as, when wet, traffic quickly makes these into muddy, slippery, tracks.

Preferably min 6A, 230V, electrics within 50 metres. (Have two 25 metre cables :-) Can survive on 3A!) Tuggers are likely to need higher rated supplies, many caravans are not automatically supplied with batteries and are totally mains dependent, even though the lighting may be 12V via a power-pack / charger unit.

Nice clean shower. (Don't use the one in the van, no point, prefer to use someone else's. :-)) This will also appeal to those with small PVCs, for example Transporter based, which are too small for more than a rudimentary porta-potty type toilet, and have no shower.

Nice clean toilet. (Ditto)

Preferably, a washing-up sink with available hot water. Great social point of contact.

Shop for basics (bread, milk etc) within reasonable walking distance, or availability (to order if necessary) on site.

Views an advantage, not essential, but pleasant surroundings a distinct plus point.

Local information on footpaths, nearby pubs, possibly restaurants, places of interest etc, are a definite plus point if staying a day or three.

A smile on arrival! :-D

Hi ips,

And now our view on cl's...

A good clean toilet as we try to restrict our own use to night time to save emptying.

Reasonably firm ground as I do not like to risk getting stuck (our MH is 3,800kg all up).

For anything longer than a weekend then a shower as we do not use our own.

Again for anything longer than a weekend then EHU as we like our little luxuries in life (Dolce Gusto coffee maker for one :D ).

And now OUR must have - Good cycling from site! No main roads or city traffic allowed! We have ruled out many C&CC sites for this very reason eg Ashbourne.

If I think of any more I will post later,

Keith.

Tracker - 2012-03-28 3:25 PM

We tend to only use a cl/cs when en route or passing through so for us all we want is a quiet location with a fresh water tap and a toilet emptying point.

Anything more like nice location, views, walks is a bonus and we certainly would not pay any optional extra for ehu or shower access etc. because our van has it's own facilities and I really can't be bothered faffing about walking over to showers or messing about with long cables when I have no need to!

I don't know how many motorhomers use the cl/cs network for longer stays but in the event we stayed more than a night or two then views, walks, environment etc become more relevant as does a hard standing when it is wet, although usually with site owner guidance a firm spot to stop on can be found - even if it is simply parked on or at the end of the access road/lane!

I fully agree-that covers what we want as well-much the same requirements. Would perhaps just add that level and/or hardstanding is a bonus early & late as we struggle on soft wet ground.

This is why I think there is a big difference in what is required for a 'vanner' rather than a 'tugger' and consequently why some CLs are £15 plus a night and some (ie one I've just booked in Kent) is £4pn

Once again-I get what I pay for-but I'm happy with that

Mike

Guest pelmetman

For us we like a pub/restaurant within walking distance and maybe a shop or two nearby.

Somewhere reasonably flat and good dog walks for Troy. Not particularly interested in toilets/showers on site as we use our own.

SUE

I'm a "Trackerite" rather than a "Brianite" on this one.

Whole point is to keep the cost down (since these are the nearest thing in the UK to proper Aires), so minimal facilties are fine by us. We just want somewhere to cook a meal & go to sleep after an enjoyable day, ready for another one tomorrow.

But here are a few things we'd regard as a bonus:

1. quiet & secluded (as once we arrive we're not usually going anywhere til tomorrow)

2. passing wildlife (like the summer evening when a barn owl coasted gently past the van)

3. onsite or nearby pub (but only if in village or countryside - see 1!)

Brian Kirby - 2012-03-28 4:28 PM

Personal point of view.

At least stabilised ground so that I can be sure of getting in/out even in wet weather. Doesn't have to be actual hardstanding - though that may be the cheapest remedy.

Preferably min 6A, 230V, electrics within 50 metres. (Have two 25 metre cables :-) Can survive on 3A!)

Nice clean toilet. (Ditto)

Shop for basics (bread, milk etc) within reasonable walking distance.

Local information on nearby pubs.

A smile on arrival! :-D

I have edited Brian's post & left the bits I agree with.

I am quite happy to use the shower in the van, but if one was offered it would be a bonus.

On a few CLs the water taps have been somewhat inaccessible, it helps if these are in locations where the van can be stopped without blocking anyone even when the site is full.

Agree with Rich & Mike, certainly do not want or need EHU. Do not use showers or loos I've got them in the van why would I want to use ones used by dozens of other people.

For me a CL/CS is a nice peaceful site without facilities and hopefully somewhere to park where I won't get bogged down. It is nice to be in a rural location but it would be nice to have more of them close to villages that is where the French Aires score bonus points.

Don't see the argument for tuggers we used to be tuggers and only used EHU in the winter if staying for more than 4/5 days.

To me CL/CS's have lost the plot with showers, loos, EHU & charging as much as commercial sites, makes it cheaper to pop across to France for a long weekend.

I prefer a site with showers. Although I do use my own on-suite facilities on occasion, I find that there isn't really enough room. Upon bending down to wash my feet, I find my boyish bottom touchs the cold plastic curtain. This unexpected shock ensures that I spring upright and I promptly crack my shoulder on the vanity unit.

All in all site showers are safer for me.

Guest 1footinthegrave

For us location every time. Quiet, and the less in "facilities" the better. Interestingly following on from your other post we have just returned from a 5 night stay where the owner had installed EHU's two years ago, he was telling us that it had had the opposite effect that he was hoping for, i.e more revenue because he had put the price up from £7 to £10 a night. In this glorious weather we were the only ones staying there, and this in a lovely spot in Shropshire quite close to some great touristy attractions.

To be honest we have long since stopped using onsite facilities, we have no desire to sit where anyone else has sat, ditto shower and following the previous comment a plug in the shower tray for our feet seems good enough to us, although perhaps we're a bit grubby by others standards, in any event we have all facilities in the van, so why would we want to follow someone else into the provided ablutions, sorry I don't get it, ? ;-)

My first consideration is, is it level and will I get stuck if its wet. Apart from that we do like some company, I can look out from my garden and see nothing but hills and fields, oh and wind turbines so it's nice to do a bit of people watching occasionally.

Guest Tracker
I think that we all deserve to be reminded just exactly where the Ips's CL is - even those amongst us wot ain't CC members any more!

Our 'requirements':

- rural location with great views, but not too out of the way/takes an age to get to, or to go anywhere from *-)

- hard standing, or at least levelish ground that will take the MH's weight ... don't want the 'sinking' feeling! :D

- lots of wild life ... so long as it's quiet! :-D

- no shower, toilet or elec etc - wouldn't use them anyway 8-)

- easy access with no narrow lanes with brambles/branches (I do carry secuteurs and have used them! >:-)

- lots of space around us so we can let our dogs potter without aggro from the neighbours :$

- shortish grass! Can't do with long grass that is uncomfortable to sit out on and gets the dogs all wet. B-)

- cheap!!! Don't want to have to pay for stuff we don't need/want. (lol)

- and as a bonus ... no kids! :D

Guest 1footinthegrave
Isn't this the conundrum, we always groan when folk arrive with their pooches to "poodle around" not a problem for us if they are quiet, and yet our very well behaved and quiet granddaughter is not welcome at more and more sites that say adults only, dogs welcome though. But there you go you can't please everyone !

As a newbie, I still prefer to have EHU, still don't trust the leisure battery!. We tend to stay for long weekends as getting away from work for more than that is almost impossible. We prefer a quiet site, in a rural location. I have no problem with children as long as they are not too rowdy and their parents take responsibility for them. However I firmly believe dogs should be kept on a lead. And yes I am a dog owner. Most CLs seem to be on farms or near farmland and it's a dogs nature to be a predator - I should know, our Chihuahua is a fiend!

I prefer to stay on CLs, as i have found them to be more tranquil and feel more like a guest than a punter. The people who we have met on CLs also seem more friendly, perhaps they are just of the same mindset as me.

I feel people who use CLs should take into account that the site is not usually the site owners' primary business and respect that fact.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Bolly1965 - 2012-03-28 9:37 PM

I feel people who use CLs should take into account that the site is not usually the site owners' primary business and respect that fact.

Amen to that, e few measly quid a year earned, and some expect the earth in return.

ips - 2012-03-28 7:28 PMThanks everyone.Seems we have most things coveredrural location with great viewshard standinglots of wild lifeno shower no eleceasy accesspub half a mileshop 5 min drive[/quote]
This sounds like our idea of the ideal CL.

Your CL sounds exactly the type that we like to stay on. (Wish I knew where it was).

I do have to take issue with the distinction between Motorhomes and Caravans though as I don't believe it has anything to do with whether it is a caravan or motorhome it is to do with people. We have had caravans for probably more years than we have had motorhomes and we still did not use EHU with them if we could avoid it. It seems to me that those that use EHU tend to be the 'New Age' campers that have taken it up in recent years and know no different as that is how the van was sold to them. Many times at shows the salespersons pitch is about 'how well equiped the van is electrically' and how 'all sites have electric nowdays so you need to take advantage of it'.

We only use CL's and regularly go on CC centre rallies, this may be for up to a fortnight in a field or on a school playing field. In the main the centre members use large caravans, though along with ours there are a few of us with motorhomes nowdays mainly as the members get older (what does that say), and guess what there are very rarely any EHUps in an open field or playing field, nor toilets, nor showers everybody uses the facilities that they have brought with them and already paid for!!

Bas

Archived