CL / CS expectations

ips

To my mind showers, toilets, e.h.u. etc. turn CL/CSs into mini campsites. So all we want from a CL/CS are the essentials that were determined when they were first conceived. Plus short grass!

There’s nothing wrong with sites that have all the amenities (although we draw the line at a ‘club house’) and we do use them, but sometimes it’s good to get back to a simpler way of camping.

Cattwg :-D

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bolly1965 - 2012-03-28 9:37 PM

I have no problem with children as long as they are not too rowdy and their parents take responsibility for them. However I firmly believe dogs should be kept on a lead. And yes I am a dog owner. Most CLs seem to be on farms or near farmland and it's a dogs nature to be a predator - I should know, our Chihuahua is a fiend!

We allow some freedom (within reason) to our dogs only when it is sensible and safe to do so (for them and other creatures). They must keep within 10ft of the motorhome (and they DO know this), and not go off and bother people unless those people actually call to them but only if we say it's okay to go over.

As for children, same as you, so long as they're not causing a problem etc we're happy to have them there, but having been on several CLs where they weren't kept 'in check' (ie running riot and kicking footballs around the units) at least on 'adults only' sites we know we don't have to worry about this - nothing worse than trying to relax with kids kicking footballs about or playing cricket with a REAL cricket ball!!! 8-)

EHU + hardstanding for me. Anything else is a bonus.

I can be self-sufficient without EHU, but it''s more comfortable with and saves on gas. I'd say sites with EHU are far more marketable than those without...perhaps you're getting an atypical response on here.

One other thing I'd really like...ability to book online. Pain in the behind having to ring around places to check availability.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Rosbotham - 2012-03-28 11:45 PM

EHU + hardstanding for me. Anything else is a bonus.

I can be self-sufficient without EHU, but it''s more comfortable with and saves on gas. I'd say sites with EHU are far more marketable than those without...perhaps you're getting an atypical response on here.

One other thing I'd really like...ability to book online. Pain in the behind having to ring around places to check availability.

I agree about the phoning round thing, but CL/CS sites really are not geared up so that owners can constantly update their availability, a recent stop we used, the farmer was up to his eyes lambing, can't see him checking his laptop every few minutes for bookings. The lack of an Aire system in the UK is the real pain, one of the main reasons we spend a large percentage of our time in France. ;-)

As we only ever use rally fields or Aires, just somewhere to empty and water to fill is our needs covered really.

Having RWD and twins as well means getting stuck is not something we think of, happened once and ducks would have been happy in the field it was so wet :-D :-D

We do a New Year rally for 5 nights, most of them are Tuggers not one gets EHU and they all seem to survive, having said that much of the time is spent in village hall.

2 110 batteries and 80 watt solar panel keeps us sorted, large water tank and a child who likes to fill it up when needed all adds to a perfect scenario B-) B-)

Mandy

Tracker - 2012-03-28 8:32 PM

I think that we all deserve to be reminded just exactly where the Ips's CL is - even those amongst us wot ain't CC members any more!

Found it!

I knew ips had posted the name of his C&CC CS before and I've just found it... (see the 5th post down). Link.

And here it is on the MMM sitefinder.

Now ips can't be blamed for advertising as he hasn't posted the details :D

Keith.

Mel B - 2012-03-28 9:10 PM

- Don't want to have to pay for stuff we don't need/want. (lol)

A bad example of a CL is one we stayed at last year. On the way to Scotland the boss decoded she wanted to spend a day in Liverpool the only available CL with decent transport links was near Birkenhead £15 with EHU no discount for not using EHU could only park on one side of field as most of it was wet & very soft over 50m from EHU but still charged for EHU. :D

1footinthegrave - 2012-03-29 6:26 AM

Rosbotham - 2012-03-28 11:45 PM

...One other thing I'd really like...ability to book online. Pain in the behind having to ring around places to check availability.

I agree about the phoning round thing, but CL/CS sites really are not geared up so that owners can constantly update their availability... ;-)

Those are good points..

I think when it comes to booking,which ever method they use,a swiftish response is always preferable...

..otherwise you end up with that awkward situation,the one where you've left a messge...and after a day or so haven't heard back..so you leave another one("..how many messages are too many?.." :-S )..then because you still haven't heard back, you look at ringing a different site..but aren't quite sure whether you should, in case the first one HAS booked you in and just haven't told you..etc.?!? :-S (lol)

As for what we like from a CL/CS...

As others have said,easy and clear access(no scratching down hedgrows and weaving through "muddy" farm yards,past "dead" tractors/landrovers!)and a firm,well drain pitch and access road..

I also like clear instructions as to who/where we should to "report to" on arrival("..who do we pay..and where?..").

Facilities wise,we wouldn't particularly need a loo or shower but if they're going to have them,although they could be basic,they should be up to a reasonable standard,be clean and not make your skin crawl!...

The same goes for the standpipe,elsan point and EHUs...(..we've been to a few where the EHU boxes have had doors missing or been cable-tied together...and where the "elsan points" have just been overflowing "sumps"... :-S )...

Keithl - 2012-03-29 7:57 AM

I think that we all deserve to be reminded just exactly where the Ips's CL is - even those amongst us wot ain't CC members any more!

Found it!

I knew ips had posted the name of his C&CC CS before and I've just found it... (see the 5th post down). Link.

Keith.

Ooh you are clever :-D

Not my fault mr mod, twas that keith chap (lol)

ips - 2012-03-29 11:45 AM

Keithl - 2012-03-29 7:57 AM

Found it!

Keith.

Ooh you are clever :-D

Not my fault mr mod, twas that keith chap (lol)

Who! Me! No not me! :D :D :D

(Didn't think you'd mind though).

Keith.

And just to clarify for previous poster............bus stop 1/4 mile :-D

If anyone is interested reviews are on C&CC web site.

Also had a full page article in sumer special (I think it was anyway) of MMM 2010

This is not by way of advertisment merely contributing to the thread.

- easy access with no narrow lanes with brambles/branches (I do carry secuteurs and have used them! D

As head groundsman I have been known to cut the odd branch or two along the access road to ensure nothing scrapes our / your van, as the unadopted road (30yds to site gate) serving 3 other propertys other than ours is our only way out / in. Also ensure no trees / branches overhanging the pitches as I hate getting my roof dirty and assume everyone else feels the same. :-D

ips - 2012-03-29 11:48 AM

And just to clarify for previous poster............bus stop 1/4 mile :-D

If anyone is interested reviews are on C&CC web site.

Also had a full page article in sumer special (I think it was anyway) of MMM 2010

This is not by way of advertisment merely contributing to the thread.

The MMM article on the Two Oaks C&CC Certificated Site was printed on page 113 of the 2011 Summer issue (ie. the one between the July and August issues).

Guest Tracker
Derek Uzzell - 2012-03-29 1:41 PM

The MMM article on the Two Oaks C&CC Certificated Site was printed on page 113 of the 2011 Summer issue (ie. the one between the July and August issues).

Oh humbug - that was the edition just after my subscription to MMM expired.

ips - 2012-03-29 1:51 PM

How do you post a pic ??

Tick the box that says "Attach a file after posting"

After you click "submit" you will directed to a page that allows you to browse to the file to upload. Make sure your file size is under 100k or you will get either an error message saying file is too large or if it's really big you will get a "server error message".

Thanks

two recently installed (12 mths ago) hardstandings and new paddock fence. Just had to put green netting around the laurels between pitches due to rabbits getting at em, should look nice when they grow a bit and we can trim them into a nice hedge.

1850374333_twooaks.JPG.1a2c18f90d407fd9c4c5dc6178980d9e.JPG

Shower and toilet are a definate advantage for us. 4 showers, use of toilet, cooking and washing up will drain the water tank in under 24 hours. Usually half way through the final shower. If we are staying for more than a couple of days once established with the awning and chairs our we do not really want to move the van every day to re water.

One 110Ah last us 3 days so no need for EHU for that period.

Inaccurate descriptions are off-putting. Like last year a site in Germany decribed in the CC Europe book as 4 km from the town was just over 4 miles. Difficult to understand how Wrightington can be decribed as handy for the Lake District, it must be over 60 miles.

ips - 2012-03-29 2:59 PM

pepe63 - 2012-03-29 2:50 PM

Very nice ips...! ;-)

(..but what about a photo,facing the other way..or does that overlook the abattoir?.. (lol) (lol) )

Cheeky begger..

That's bl**dy lovely ips!...

You've got a little jewel of a site there... ;-)

Archived