M.O.T. scam ? dilemma

Guest 1footinthegrave

duetto owner - 2012-03-31 4:29 PM

my motorhome just had its first mot along with its three year service. on checking the bill got £13 MOT arrangement fee apparently they could not do the mot had to go to a commercial centre.

next problem inside the bonnet at the top an area of rust, so i asked them to check it out and they said it was normal transit get that if they sit too long without use.

also no proper mot certificate just a two page print out.

so not impressed with the mot this year.

All changed to a computer print out version now so you've not been short changed there.

However I would have thought it was a bit OFF to accept your MOT booking if their station was not able to do the job then charge you for the privilege of taking it elsewhere!

As others have pointed out, your local BT Fleet workshop will do MOTs on larger vehicles so perhaps give them a try next year. I guess they will know all about Transits as well. Find your nearest BT Fleet workshop here http://www.btfleet.com/garages/garages-network-general.aspx

When I get an MOT I get a print out of the brake test and it shows all the data for front, rear, and handbrake tests and whether a pass or fail ( although not had a fail yet ).

I also get a print out of the vehicle weight on the motorhome.

I ask for these before the tester starts the MOT.

The tester *is* my son but I assume that you should be entitled to get this information especially if it is a failure.

hth

Harvey

Guest 1footinthegrave
Well got the van back, but interesting this one. I had took it to them earlier in the year to have new front wheel bearings fitted, one of the fail points this time was a missing bolt on the lower suspension arm, the tester said it looked as though it had snapped of in the hub carrier. I reminded him that the were the only ones to have touched that as they would have had to do to replace the bearing, no doubt snapping it of when doing the job, he said on collecting the van he had welded the hub carrier to the lower suspension arm ball joint carrier, as he could not get the snapped off bolt out, I asked him how could the ball joint ever be replaced, he said they could just grind the weld off, quality workmanship I thought.

1footinthegrave - 2012-03-31 6:38 PM

...he said on collecting the van he had welded the hub carrier to the lower suspension arm ball joint carrier, as he could not get the snapped off bolt out, I asked him how could the ball joint ever be replaced, he said they could just grind the weld off, quality workmanship I thought.

"quality workmanship I thought." NO!!!

What a bodge!

He should have replaced either the hub carrier or lower suspension arm, which ever had the snapped bolt in it.

Please tell us where this garage is so we can all avoid it!

Keith.

Edit. Spelling!

Guest 1footinthegrave
To be honest I'm not really sure what to do, as they have avoided detailing doing the weld on my invoice, merely attend to bolt, not at all happy, will ring someone for advice, just not sure who yet.

Guest 1footinthegrave
No not a member of either but thanks, but I will ring trading standards first thing Monday. On reflection I should have trusted my original gut instinct. The frightening thing is this garage is also responsible for local BT and Railtrack vehicle maintenance. I've had a look again at the invoice and it does state "attend to O/S lower ball joint. Mmmmmmm

Guest Peter James
1footinthegrave - 2012-03-28 9:13 PM

it would be nice to think we are all dealing with honest folk, but garages have for so long been at the bottom of my list, oh well. ;-)

If Garages are at the bottom of your list you should think yourself very lucky Victor.

When it comes to overcharging Garages have got nothing on Lawyers, or Dentists.

Garages are just easier targets to expose.

Have to start somewhere

PS My sisters husband is a lawyer, please keep it between ourselves, during a dinner party, the usual clap trap started moaning about the cost of a washing machine repair.

"Do you know, He charged £30.00 per hour".

"How much,?" said the Accountant.

" Whats your hourly rate?" says I to my Brother in Law ( sorry but its a fact.)

" Oh a LOT more than that". says he smugly.

" And you can't even fix a washing machine?" says I.

Boom Boom.

Archived