Psychic Sat-Nav?

Derek Uzzell

In my 21 February 2012 2:18 PM posting on the following earlier thread I listed Garmin's instructions on how to delete the France Cyclops file from a Garmin sat-nav device:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=26658&start=1

I also said (confidently)

"Once the appropriate file has been deleted, there's no doubt whatsoever that the sat-nav will comply with the revised regulations."

Well, during my recent visit to France, my Garmin nuvi 1340 still managed to issue French safety-camera alerts despite the France Cyclops data apparently no longer being present on it. The only way to stop this happening was to deselect the Garmin safety-camera alert option via the sat-nav's touchscreen. Plainly the thing is accessing safety-camera and radar-check data from somehere on the device, but I can't spot where this information is lurking.

I've asked Garmin for advice about this, but my contact doesn't know how the device is able to do this. It's been suggested that I download a software update and a free-of-charge French 'danger zone alerts' upgrade has been added to my Garmin account. However, received wisdom in France seems to be that 'danger zone' alerts will be more of a nuisance than a benefit, so I probably shan't bother.

Whilel travelling in France I noticed that some, but not all, of the old roadside camera-warning boards have now been removed and, where new cameras had been installed, these were slim-line and less eye-catching than the old boxy ones.

spospe - 2012-04-03 4:55 PM

There is a new version of the Tom-Tom operating system available vis the Tom-Tom Home software. This raises the version number to 9.430 and seems to fix the problem.

Thanks I've just updated mine and told our kids to do theirs. Shows the value of such forums. When you log on to the home site this is listed as a "critical update". We are off on tour in the morning and without this heads up the first we would have known about the problem would have been when it failed to work. We take an iPad on holiday rather than a lap top so by thentime we found out, if we ever did, it would have been too late as the TomTom can't connect to the iPad.

Archived