stopovers

Suda

Any suggestions please for safe stopovers ( we are 2 ladies ) on the route from Dunkirk to Venice. We are taking the most economic route through Eastern France, Switzerland, Northen Italy to catch the Venice Patras ferry. If we arrive early then we can spend a couple of days sight seeing in Venice. A campsite there would be useful to know.

Has anyone used the French Campingcar- infos USB stick? Do you require the Internet? Thankyou

Hi

The first point is that the most economic route is slightly further north through Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany etc - this is on fast roads but avoids tolls. The cheapest fuel is in Luxembourg but the fast road only has two service stations so plan accordingly. Remember you need a vignette for Switzerland and can buy online at no extra cost.

Have you an acsi card? This will save money plus secure sites if you are worried about security plus it will help with cost of sites around Venice. I can,t remember the site we visited but I am sure someone will have recommendations.

Don't hang around Patras albeit it is returning gthrough Patras where's you have to guard your van ALL the time to avoid migrants trying to hitch a lift. If you return through Patras make sure one of you stays with the van and keeps a sharp lookout round the port - also don't expect organised boarding as per Dover - expect a shambles and you won,t be disappointed albeit it seems to work!

Enjoy your trip, I love Venice and Greece. You will have a great time.

Good luck

Peter

Suda - 2012-04-05 6:23 PM

...Has anyone used the French Campingcar- infos USB stick? Do you require the Internet?...

I haven't used the campingcar-infos USB stick myself, but there are (French language) explanations of its scope and usage on the campingcar-infos website.

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/USB.php

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/aide/aide_cle_usb.htm

Evidently the USB stick contains all the essential information available on the campingcar-infos website and is 'operated' in much the same way as if you were visiting the website via an internet connection.

However, using the USB stick does NOT require an internet connection (this is explained on the first link I gave above), but you won't get the GOOGLE Maps or GOOGLE Street View that are normally presented for an aire when you use the website, as those features demand an internet connection to function.

The website instructions also advise that

"The USB stick does not contain any map showing the geographic location of the aires. For the geographic position of aires, use your GPS device and the aires coordinates files that we make freely available to you on this website."

Re the USB stick- you don't need to buy the stick, just purchase the download which is cheaper, download and trf to your own stick and you can load on not several laptops , windows or mac.

I usually download a new version every couple of years and find it works well. I am not online but use in conjunction with my gps plus paper map.

On one occasion we found two of the aires had been closed but is the only time there was a problem.

Peter

Archived