First motorhome

tonyclaire

We are thinking of buying our first motorhome later this year but are finding it hard to decide which is best for us. We do know we would like a u-shape rear lounge,dinette up front with passenger seatbelts and a LARGE overcab bed with headroom.We are looking at used vehicles between 25k-30k.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

Do a few searches on autotrader and ebay. Both have motorhome sections, where you can narrow the search by end layout, berths, price etc. Have a look at some of them and you'll soon have an idea of what will suit you.

Saves a lot of legwork traipsing around dealers

Guest Tracker

The best idea may be to visit a few shows of which there are plenty at the moment - almost one a week at times for the next few months - where there will be hundreds of van on display and in the camping areas.

If you find a van you like on sale it may be worth walking round the camping area looking for similar vans and chatting to an owner or two.

If you can't find any similar it does not mean it is an unpopular layout or van - but it makes you think - and if you find lots similar it might mean that it works well in real life!

Come back with some specifics and those who have or have had one will be able to give you their opinion.

Given the £25k-£30K budget, I'm guessing likely candidates will be 2007-2009 vintage.

"Which Motorcaravan" magazine's 2007 checklist suggests that all of the following overcab coachbuilt models had a rear lounge and front dinette.

Rollerteam Auto-Roller 600

Benimar Sport 350 & Europe 750

CI Carioca 746

Lunar Champ A630, A670R & Roadstar 726

Chausson Welcome 28SU

Ace Firenze

Swift Sundance 630L & Kon-Tiki 645

Bessacar E495 & E795

Pilote Aventura A710 TA

Dethleffs Advantage A6971 SG

Auto-Trail Apache 700 & Frontier Scout

Eura Mobil Terrestra 690 HS

Karman Colorado 660

Orian Saturn

This layout can result in a long motorhome, particularly if a double front-dinette is part of the design. No maximum vehicle length has been specified, but it's often a consideration for people with limited parking space at home.

If a REALLY big overcab bed is a required, then the Eura Mobil would provide it, while the vehicle's length of roughly 7 metres is not excessive (pretty tall though at 3.24m, but that's what you get with a double-floor and lots of overcab-bed headroom).

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/Motorhomes/Reviews/Motorhomes/Eura-Mobil-Terrestra-A-690HS/_ch1_rw128_pg1

The Eura Mobil test report mentions shortage of payload. This will be something to beware of with this type of design if the maximum overall weight of the motorhome is to be restricted to 3500kg.

As a first motorhome I'd be tempted to opt for one built by a UK motorcaravan manufacturer that is still trading (Swift and Auto-Trail from the above list). At least then there will be a UK dealership network to turn to if problems arise or spares are needed. Also good policy - for reasons that should be self-evident - to buy from a dealership close to where you live and make sure that warranty terms and conditions are fully understood.

Hi Tony & welcome to the forum.

Your post appears to indicate the need for 6 belted seats /berths. ?? so I assume someone with a young(ish) family.

2 additional points to consider.

Most of the Motorhomes with a front dinette & rear lounge will exceed 3500kg.

So does your License include C1 / C1E categories

To get a useable Payload, (including 5 passengers) motorhomes of 3500kg will IMO be compromised.

Another alternative to add to your list

Swift Escape 686 6.92m long on 3650kg chassis.

http://www.swiftgroup.co.uk/motorhomes/escape/escape-range/technical/Properties/Model-686

Hi Tony & welcome to the forum.

Your post appears to indicate the need for 6 belted seats /berths. ?? so I assume someone with a young(ish) family.

2 additional points to consider.

Most of the Motorhomes with a front dinette & rear lounge will exceed 3500kg.

So does your License include C1 / C1E categories

To get a useable Payload, (including 5 passengers) motorhomes of 3500kg will IMO be compromised.

Another alternative to add to your list

Swift Escape 686 6.92m long on 3650kg chassis.

http://www.swiftgroup.co.uk/motorhomes/escape/escape-range/technical/Properties/Model-686

Thankyou for raising an issue we had overlooked. I sadly am old enough to have C1/C1E cat but claire can only drive up to 3500kg we think having passed her test in 1998. We are considering the Eldiss Autoquest 180 which has a MTPLM of 3500kg and mass in running order of 2965kg. There will only be the two of us and we will not be carrying a great deal of clutter so we hope we will be within any weight limits should claire wish to share the driving here or abroad. If you feel we have got our maths wrong or have overlooked anything, please let us know as it will save us a lot of grief later on and your advice is much appreciated. Thanks again.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Though some may say different, the first M/home we bought was an overcab model, for us it was a wrong decision because as soon as we used it we found the overcab bed very hot and claustrophobic, plus the ladder to get up and down was a real pain ( literally on your feet ), especially for me needing to get up in the night.

We used it just for just three nights, it was then part exchanged, a costly mistake. That large bulge does nothing for fuel consumption, adds to body roll, and acts like a sail in a headwind holding you back, adds to your height, that could influence ferry prices or access, and is a bugger to get up to for cleaning, I'd go for a low profile, pref with fixed bed. ;-)

Hi,we were in the same boat last year, our buget was not so big so went for hunting and found a Auto trail scout on a 2001 plate spot on has u shape lounge dinning area and over cab,we use the lounge as the bedroom,takes 5mins to make and is the size of wales, we love it good luck and have fun looking.

Bob.

Hi Bob. Thanks for your reply. It is good to know you find using the rear lounge as the main bed quick and easy to set up and it sounds like it provides a good nights sleep also. We were pos thinking of going for an A class Hymer type van as suggested before, and they are great but supply seems very limited. Are you happy with all aspects of your scout? Thanks again for responding, it is a big help!

tonyclaire..

If you don't mind,I'll just add my opinions/experiences on layouts(and how they may or may not work) ;-)

We've only been "MHing" for the last 5-6 years(having previously used tents)and it's taken 3 attempts to get the correct( for us!) layout...(well, "correct" for now anyway.. *-) )

We've come to realise that WE like a layout that enables us to have areas that "function" seperately,yet "simultaneously"....

Our current van has the "french bed" layout,with a mid kitchen and large front dinnette/lounge..

...this type of layout,lends itself well to being "partitioned off"(by means of a curtain in our case),meaning that in the mornings,the front areas/blinds/door can be fully opened up (and I can getting cracking on with the breakfast etc!),while the OH can take all the time she wants,getting ready in the rear,bed & shower/loo area...

Of cause,you don't *necessarily* need a "french bed" to achieve this(..a rear lounge/forward dinnette/kitchen could also work this way)..

(...Although I don't think the "usual" A class layout would acheive this?..with the drop-down bed at the front,which in itself will distrupt the lounge/seating to some degree and with the shower/loo at the rear...).

It is certainly worth considering how a layout "functions" as a whole...rather than just "what it's got".

Our previous van had a rear lounge but had no forward seating or dinnette..and with the shower/loo at the front,behind the driver seat(with it's door directly opposite the habitaion door!),it meant that I couldn't "open" the van up until the OH had showered and dressed...!

..our first van was a Transit PVC(Duetto)and although it was a great van..that was obviously also a "one or the other" layout(...but it was really a "campervan").

Personally,I don't see the logic,in designing largish coachbuilt vehicles,( 6-7mtrs+ long),but that still require(sometimes quite major) "reconfiguring" inorder to change between sleeping and seating/eating...that's what I'd expect from a campervan..not a 40-50k+ coachbuilt MH...

(..and a good many of which,only have inward facing settes,with no additional travel seats either...! *-) ).

Although I'm well aware that for some,they work....

tonyclaire - 2012-04-11 10:22 PM

Thankyou for raising an issue we had overlooked. I sadly am old enough to have C1/C1E cat but claire can only drive up to 3500kg we think having passed her test in 1998. We are considering the Eldiss Autoquest 180 which has a MTPLM of 3500kg and mass in running order of 2965kg. There will only be the two of us and we will not be carrying a great deal of clutter so we hope we will be within any weight limits should claire wish to share the driving here or abroad. If you feel we have got our maths wrong or have overlooked anything, please let us know as it will save us a lot of grief later on and your advice is much appreciated. Thanks again.

I'm assuming from the weight data you've quoted that you've read the MMM and Practical Motorhome test reports that are available on-line, and noted the + and - comments.

Personally, I'd be a mite wary of the MIRO datum, as quoted MIRO figures and reality don't always match. I note that the 100PS 2.2litre motor was standard and (as was touched on in the MMM article) this powerplant would find it tough going dragging along what is a fairly large motorhome with a good deal of frontal area. It might not bother you: conversely, you might soon grow to hate the relative lack of performance.

• 1 month later...
Hi all. Need more advice please. Going to view a used van today. It is what we have been looking for ( Autoquest 145) BUT the owner has used it as a rental vehicle and it appears to be a petrol engine. Will we have problems when we resell as it is x rental and did peugot produce a euro4 vehicle with a petrol engine? if so would it be expensive to run?

tonyclaire - 2012-06-17 9:07 AM

Hi all. Need more advice please. Going to view a used van today. It is what we have been looking for ( Autoquest 145) BUT the owner has used it as a rental vehicle and it appears to be a petrol engine. Will we have problems when we resell as it is x rental and did peugot produce a euro4 vehicle with a petrol engine? if so would it be expensive to run?

Very few, AFAIK, private owners rent out their vehicles, mainly due to insurance complications and fear of what may befall their precious van! So, I would suspect this van has been company owned until proved otherwise. Make sure you see the V5C logbook and confirm that the registered keeper is the seller.

Whatever the outcome, examine the van very carefully for damage inside and out, with especial reference to the underside of the chassis, the top front and sides of the overcab area, and the rear panel and quarters. Look for signs of repair and if you see ANY, I would say walk away there and then. A hire van is a means of earning income, likely to be repaired "quick and dirty" to get it back earning as soon as possible, and not necessarily to restore it to a fully weathertight condition.

Simple answer to last question is no, AFAIK it will invariably be a diesel, which somewhat suggests to me the seller is not that familiar with what he is selling, further suggesting his "ownership" is in name only. Be very, very, cautious.

Regarding choice of layout, I agree with the comments above that a large luton is very likely to give the van the handling characteristics of a galleon, and the aerodynamics of a barn door! Many happily accept that, but it is something else to be aware of.

Also, be aware that even light drizzle is clearly audible inside most vans, and anything heavier makes a surprising noise, so do not anticipate undisturbed sleep on wet nights!

Be further aware that the bulbous luton will become the natural heat sink for the van: hot air rises, and it is the highest part of the van. Most have relatively poor ventilation, and even in those with opening rooflights it is seldom practical to sleep with the rooflight open if there is any likelihood of rain, as to the best of my knowledge none of the popular brands of rooflight reliably keep rain out even when only slightly open, especially if there is wind. Of the others, especially those with only one window in a side wall of the luton, expect stuffiness and airlessness on hot nights.

It should also be expected to rock on windy nights, which I know some find uncomfortable.

What it seems most do, is to convert the lounge to beds at night, benefiting from easier access and egress to/from the bed, reverting it to lounge during the day, and use the luton merely to store bedding and other light items. This removes the need for luton headroom, so no great bulge over the cab, which to some extent ameliorates the galleon like handling and aerodynamic shortcomings of this type.

Final thought. Have you considered hiring before you buy? It would enable you to test your assumptions at far lower cost that buying, and then discovering you have misinterpreted how you and your preferred layout will interact.

Hi Tony

"did peugot produce a euro4 vehicle with a petrol engine?" Straight forward answer is NO.

So if it has one it's not a factory fitted job.

Or if the current owner ran it on Petrol - it ain't going to run much longer.

Sort of endorses Brian's comments regarding the queries raised regarding this Van.

The biggest problem with Ex-Hire Vehicles is when you want to trade-in.

Unless the Van is an absolute steal, i.e. many £k below forecourt prices to allow for potential need to replace engine, gearbox & major habitation equipment - Walk away.

For spec http://www.elddis.co.uk/motorhomes/997/autoquest_145.html

There appears to a selection of different age models currently for sale (Caravan Club website lists 9)

Archived