Public toilets

nightrider

I have just dashed off a letter to the Times regarding the lack of public toilets, people like me who have the old waterworks problems are in dire need, what do we pay our community charges for?

It was great when I had a catheter inserted last year I could have a pee anytime, what comfort and relief it was, now I have to run around like a scalded cock trying to find somewhere to empty my waste tank.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
knight of the road - 2012-04-28 8:31 PMI have just dashed off a letter to the Times regarding the lack of public toilets, people like me who have the old waterworks problems are in dire need, what do we pay our community charges for?It was great when I had a catheter inserted last year I could have a pee anytime, what comfort and relief it was, now I have to run around like a scalded cock trying to find somewhere to empty my waste tank.
Scalded cock what a great description.
Dave

Guest Peter James

I thought my opinion of Cornwall Council Cheif Executive with their £500k pay package could not get any lower, but a couple of weeks ago it did. I was at the Headland at Newquay at about 4pm in the afternoon. I watched a car pull up, and a man help a disabled woman with great difficulty out of the car to the door of the public toilet. When they got there they discovered it was closed for the season as a cost cutting measure. >:-)

-----

Sometimes I have had no alternative but to find a secluded place on the street to have a pee. The best I can do is 'water' the plants or find a drain where it won't leave a mess.

When most people go out in their vans they plot their route and work out the places of interest, I, on the other hand plot out where the loo's are.

Due to my condition when the urge to pee comes on I HAVE TO GO or I will pee my pants, yesterday we went to Fleetwood and both public loo's were closed so I had to dash to the market to use theirs, behind the door was an information notice regarding what people should do if they find they have urinary problems, I went to a market stall and bought a felt tip pen and wrote in bold letters it would be a big help if Fleetwood town councillors re-opened the bloody toilets again.

Later in the year I wanted to visit Fleetwoods famous tram sunday, but how can I? the event is on a sunday and the market will be closed so no toilets, so Fleetwood traders will lose what ever money I would have spent.

Retread24800 - 2012-04-28 11:14 PMI always thought that travelling by MH avoided that problem?

But I will admit that upon return to ours I miss regret not having the second loo as at home because she fails to give way stating ladies first. I think she is taking the p.............

Some time ago I converted a disused coal store next to our back porch into a second loo, my mother in law says that has got to be the best thing I have ever done, its a boon.

Guest Tracker
knight of the road - 2012-04-29 9:47 AM

When most people go out in their vans they plot their route and work out the places of interest,

Really? I wonder how many do that?

We leave home with a few researched places that we would like to see and other that we just meander where we feel like meandering between them picking up info from TICs whenever the opportunity arises.

I suppose it depends what you like? If you are into tourist hotspots and seeing the things that are designed for tourists to see you may well be right but if you prefer the hidden gems of small towns, rivers, mountains and coast that are not generally known as touristy places - perhaps not?

I just my car had a loo as non van touring and days out is becoming more difficult!

However I do sympathise with local councils as vandalism and inappropriate behaviour is a real issue in some places.

We now tend to visit more garden centres and cafes than ever before - but the problem is that all those cuppas don't ease the overall problem!

Just avoid those all singing all dancing smartar*e automatic toilets where a young ladies voice welcomes you in,and advises you that the door is about to close.

I got trapped in one - all the lights went out and there wasn't any daylight, or emergency lighting so the place was totally black !

I felt my way along the wall until I found the door and just about managed to force it open just wide enough to squeeze my way out ( like opening the door of a lift ).

AND it cost me 20p !!!

;-)

How a little old lady would have coped I hate to think.

:-(

Guest 1footinthegrave

I'm confused at the OPs post, surely the one huge advantage of a M/home is your very own loo in your van.

Our local councils like many others are closing them one after the other. One that was previously available in a particularly scenic, but remote area has also closed, what is so disheartening is the resultant disgusting things that people have resorted to there. If only these idiots on these councils had half a brain many public toilets could be self financing, who would object to a reasonable charge to access a clean facility, and give someone a job into the process. Our council are an absolute joke, they have spent £100,000 on a "consultation" for a cycle path, yet the main toilets in our village which is in one of Wales premier resorts has been scheduled for closure.

As for the OP's comment " what do we pay our community charges for"

You pay them for these numpties to get their generous public sector gold plated pensions, and council leaders £250.000 pa salaries. >:-)

1footinthegrave - 2012-04-29 2:06 PM

I'm confused at the OPs post, surely the one huge advantage of a M/home is your very own loo in your van.

Our local councils like many others are closing them one after the other. One that was previously available in a particularly scenic, but remote area has also closed, what is so disheartening is the resultant disgusting things that people have resorted to there. If only these idiots on these councils had half a brain many public toilets could be self financing, who would object to a reasonable charge to access a clean facility, and give someone a job into the process. Our council are an absolute joke, they have spent £100,000 on a "consultation" for a cycle path, yet the main toilets in our village which is in one of Wales premier resorts has been scheduled for closure.

You pay them for these numpties to get their generous public sector gold plated pensions, and council leaders £250.000 pa salaries. >:-)

How does my OP confuse you? does everyone have a campervan or motorhome toilet facility when in a small town, village or city I am talking about people in general needing to have a pee or whatever.

How many people visit Fleetwood on a daily basis, hundreds or what? and no where to have a damned pee, its a national disgrace.

Iagree with the 'general flow' of this thread. Seriously, I also 'plan' trips with 'pit stops' in mind, fine when you know the area, not so good when you are new to the location. We use the main department stores of course and when abroad can use the facilities in cafes, but after buying a coffee, it may seem a bit OTT.

Of course cost cutting measures are not the only reason for the loss of these public facitlities.Use of them by members of the public for activities which I believe relate to the canine world have not made them feel safe for more convential people and of course the loss of the 'attendant' was the issue that 'pulled the plug' so to speak. Also, the inflationary pressures made the requirement to have a 'penny' rise to some staggering levels, 50p sometimes being the sum extracted from those in need.

But then again the pension rights of an underworked CEO of a Cooncil is far more important than actually any public service.

By the way OP, how did you sign the letter to the Times. 'Desperate of Tunbridge Wells' perhaps

Guest Tracker
Dave225 - 2012-04-29 2:58 PM

Also, the inflationary pressures made the requirement to have a 'penny' rise to some staggering levels, 50p sometimes being the sum extracted from those in need.

By the way OP, how did you sign the letter to the Times. 'Desperate of Tunbridge Wells' perhaps

Many of us would happily pay 50p or more for a clean, warm, dry and pleasant place to have a well earned pee or a 'sit and think' - still cheaper than a coffee in a scruffy Tesco cafe!

Bursting of Bolton!

Guest 1footinthegrave
knight of the road - 2012-04-29 2:30 PM

1footinthegrave - 2012-04-29 2:06 PM

How does my OP confuse you? does everyone have a campervan or motorhome toilet facility when in a small town, village or city I am talking about people in general needing to have a pee or whatever.

How many people visit Fleetwood on a daily basis, hundreds or what? and no where to have a damned pee, its a national disgrace.

Of course it is, and I'm with you 100%, but perhaps you did not read my full post in which I included the following

Our council are an absolute joke, they have spent £100,000 on a "consultation" for a cycle path, yet the main toilets in our village which is in one of Wales premier resorts has been scheduled for closure

This despite all of us lobbying both the council, and the local community council members,and the presentation of a petition it all fell of deaf ears. I'm happy to say the toilets have only been saved from closure this year by privately raised funds

With respect I'm afraid unless we ALL have a seed change of mind about who we vote in ( and none of the main parties, and certainly not Plaid Cymru that we are stuck with here, as their answer is to ask local businesses to open their loos to the general public) nothing will change.

In todays Mail on Sunday supplement there is the easylife advertising catalogue and advertised in it is what they call a portable loo for male and female use priced up at £9.99.

It says it is ideal for the elderly, bedridden, campers, boaters and travellers, might check that out?

Guest 1footinthegrave
antony1969 - 2012-04-29 5:49 PM

Don't see what your problem is Malc , simply carry the Thetford Cassette in a back pack whenever out shopping , sorted .

I'm sure your comment is made in jest, but all of these councils rely on us all just rolling over and giving up. IMO we should all be letting our feelings known not only about toilets, but the ever increasing height barrier epidemic that all councils must have bought a job lot of, how much has that cost, money that could have been used for public loo's, it's called getting your priorities right >:-(

My mate sent for a portable, use anywhere anytime loo it was the funniest thing i have ever seen. there was a rubber underpant affair with a long sheath type rubber tube who's diameter grew from its end up to the top so a lets say less well endowed male would shove his manhood in the smallest diameter bit of the said sheath, however for the bigger girth you had to cut a bit off the sheath to provide a snug fit!. Next after attaching the sheath to your member you had to run a rubber pipe down your leg and attach it to other end of the sheath, then strap a bag (which resembled a medical hot water bottle with straps) to your lower leg and attach the tube to that. I imagine that this looked a pretty picture although i never saw it in use! You were then at liberty to pee anywhere anytime the trouble was the smallest end of the manhood attachment was too big at its smallest so he never used it i think there was a funnel type attachment for the ladies. the wonders of science.

Edit... And i forgot when it arrived in its plain packaging the wrapping had split leading to the sheath attachment hanging out, the postman never knocked just left it on his step.

Some time ago I had a had a infection that gave me an extreme case of the need to pee syndrome. My doctor gave me some pills which cleared it up a treat and asked me to let him know how they worked. Rather than take up his time with another appointment I sent him a poem. Being me I got a bit over enthusiastic as usual and it ran to several verses.

All I can remember now is that it started off

Dear Doctor XXXXX

You pills have done the trick for me,

I now no longer what to pee.

What heavenly bliss oh how devine,

I now control my own urine.

The bugger has a well developed sense of humour and he knows I have so he removed my name and

pinned it up in the waiting room. Some how it seems every one got to know who wrote it and I never heard the last of it for weeks where ever I went!

I suppose in these days of political correctness no doctor would risk doing anything like that moors the pity.

1footinthegrave - 2012-04-29 5:11 PM  With respect I'm afraid unless we ALL have a seed change of mind about who we vote in ( and none of the main parties, and certainly not Plaid Cymru that we are stuck with here, as their answer is to ask local businesses to open their loos to the general public) nothing will change.

Perhaps you can explain how your system will work? You appear to be suggesting that no one who is a member of a current political party should be allowed to stand for parliament, or even for local councils.

So let's assume that this is the case. This means that only independents will be allowed to stand. Will there be a system of choosing a short list or will we have to suffer twenty three candidates who think that they best represent the views of those on the right, and another couple of dozen who may appeal to the left and so on?

So, if you accept that the list will have to be reduced to sensible levels, who will decide who are the best people to remain on the list? Who will interview them to ascertain their seriousness, whether they are reasonably intelligent and whether or not they are standing for the best reasons and not just because they think that the money's good and the expenses are even better?

However many people there are on the list of candidates, how will they be able to get their message across to the voters? Will they have to fund all their advertising and publishing costs themselves, or will the government/council be forced by law to provide funds for each candidate?

I'm sure you'll agree that it would be unfair for rich candidates to be able to print leaflets, pay for newspaper and TV advertising and a full election team to support them, whilst poorer candidates simply wouldn't be able to compete for the hearts and minds of the electorate?

So come on, you are very vociferous in your condemnation of the 'political classes' as you call them, but I'm sure that we would all like to know the system that you would put in its place. I'm equally sure that, before coming out with some of your statements, that you must have given some thought to how you would replace the system that you appear to despise. A system, by the way, the has been adopted by every free country in the world but which you think is the wrong one.

Guest pelmetman
francisgraham - 2012-04-30 12:52 PM
antony1969 - 2012-04-30 11:55 AMI would of thought the subject of public toilets would suit all the main political parties seen as they all talk crap most of the time

That's terribly witty.
Accurate as well ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
francisgraham - 2012-04-30 10:44 AM
1footinthegrave - 2012-04-29 5:11 PM  With respect I'm afraid unless we ALL have a seed change of mind about who we vote in ( and none of the main parties, and certainly not Plaid Cymru that we are stuck with here, as their answer is to ask local businesses to open their loos to the general public) nothing will change.

Perhaps you can explain how your system will work? You appear to be suggesting that no one who is a member of a current political party should be allowed to stand for parliament, or even for local councils.

So let's assume that this is the case. This means that only independents will be allowed to stand. Will there be a system of choosing a short list or will we have to suffer twenty three candidates who think that they best represent the views of those on the right, and another couple of dozen who may appeal to the left and so on?

So, if you accept that the list will have to be reduced to sensible levels, who will decide who are the best people to remain on the list? Who will interview them to ascertain their seriousness, whether they are reasonably intelligent and whether or not they are standing for the best reasons and not just because they think that the money's good and the expenses are even better?

However many people there are on the list of candidates, how will they be able to get their message across to the voters? Will they have to fund all their advertising and publishing costs themselves, or will the government/council be forced by law to provide funds for each candidate?

I'm sure you'll agree that it would be unfair for rich candidates to be able to print leaflets, pay for newspaper and TV advertising and a full election team to support them, whilst poorer candidates simply wouldn't be able to compete for the hearts and minds of the electorate?

So come on, you are very vociferous in your condemnation of the 'political classes' as you call them, but I'm sure that we would all like to know the system that you would put in its place. I'm equally sure that, before coming out with some of your statements, that you must have given some thought to how you would replace the system that you appear to despise. A system, by the way, the has been adopted by every free country in the world but which you think is the wrong one.

I merely suggested maybe after the constant see saw of the main political parties we have had for donkeys years, it was maybe time to give smaller parties a go.

1footinthegrave - 2012-04-30 1:45 PM I merely suggested maybe after the constant see saw of the main political parties we have had for donkeys years, it was maybe time to give smaller parties a go.

I see, so you don't mind political parties, as long as they're not larger than a certain size. How small would they have to be to qualify for your system?

You've already said that you wouldn't have Plaid Cymru, so what does that leave? BNP, UKIP, Monster Raving Loony Party?

I really am genuinely interested in how you would elect our MPs and councillors if you ban the three main parties.

Oops, forgot George Galloway's Respect Party, there's another one!

But of course, if the three main parties weren't allowed to field candidates and, let's say, UKIP won the majority of seats, wouldn't they then qualify as a large party? If that happened would they be banned from any future elections?

I would have thought though that the 'see-saw' of different parties is something to be welcomed. Do you actually object to the fact, every few years, we vote out a party with which we are unhappy, and vote in a different one?

The only way to avoid the 'see-saw' is to have just one party and let it govern forever, a bit like Cuba and North Korea. Perhaps that's your answer then?

Archived