Help please regarding battery charging

Way2Go

We store our MH away from home and despite taking her out for a spin every couple of weeks during the winter the battery appears to have drained down. We recently had it serviced and this was confirmed by the garage as an OK battery but with very little charge in it.

So. We've bought a charger and this is where you come in. It must be 40 years since I've had to charge a battery and technology has moved along quite a bit since my Vauxhall Viva days.

We have a 2007 Fiat Ducato (first of the new front models) and I'd like to charge it on the vehicle if possible with the charger placed under the bonnet during charging.

I'm thinking of placing the red (+) crocodile clip on the red side of the battery and the black (-) crocodile clip on that piece of metal in the middle of the engine recommended for 'jump starting' the vehicle. Does that sound OK?

I gather I still have to undo the little plugs to let the gases out during charging but I seem to have read somewhere that there is some form of gubbings bolted to the battery stopping me from gaining access to them ????

I could always disconnect the battery and charge it in my workshop but am not sure what happens to all the electronics if I disconnect it. Does it kill the radio / electronic key fob etc etc.

Sorry to be so vague but I can't run outside to lift the bonnet because she's stored 10 miles away and wanted to have some advanced knowledge before I started.

Any help of advice would be greatly accepted.

W2G

Guest Tracker

Absolutely - if the van is 10 miles away and the charger is to be left on I would opt for one of the CTek, Ring or similar compact chargers which are specifically designed to be left on all the time and will not overcharge or cook the battery.

Tell us what make and model of charger and the 'knowing ones' (not me!) will tell you if it is suitable!

Thanks for the feedback chaps.

The heavy duty battery was purchased from eBay http://tinyurl.com/bp6a945 and it will accept a high or low charge. Not sure about it being intelligent though ;-)

I was going to bring the MH home and park it on the drive when I charge it up.

The battery hasn't been a problem in the past as we tend to go to the Christmas Markets in Germany in December so I think that trip puts enough oopfff in the battery to last it through the winter. However, due to the illness of one of our cats during the winter we had to cancel the trip.

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

Way2Go - 2012-05-08 7:20 AM

I'm thinking of placing the red (+) crocodile clip on the red side of the battery and the black (-) crocodile clip on that piece of metal in the middle of the engine recommended for 'jump starting' the vehicle. Does that sound OK?

W2G

Which 'bit of metal'? if it's the 'bit' under a flip up cover this is the positive.

p.s. rereading your post, I would say either lift the battery cover which is in cab and connect across batery or lift bonnet and use engine start connection and an earth point

Hi

if you are going to charge at home can you not just plug the motor home into the mains, as you would on a campsite, and let the M/Homes charger do the business. Thats what i always do - or am i missunderstanding the problem.

Peter

peterjl - 2012-05-08 6:42 PM

Hi

if you are going to charge at home can you not just plug the motor home into the mains, as you would on a campsite, and let the M/Homes charger do the business. Thats what i always do - or am i missunderstanding the problem.

Peter

Not all on board chargers will charge the vehicle battery and it seems most that do only put in a small charge in vehicle battery.

peterjl - 2012-05-08 6:42 PM

Hi

Peter

That doesn't work unfortunately otherwise it wouldn't have been a problem. But thanks for your input.

colin - 2012-05-08 6:07 PM

Way2Go - 2012-05-08 7:20 AM

W2G

Which 'bit of metal'? if it's the 'bit' under a flip up cover this is the positive.

p.s. rereading your post, I would say either lift the battery cover which is in cab and connect across batery or lift bonnet and use engine start connection and an earth point

The piece of metal is a big 'lug' of metal right in the centre of the engine bay and is apparently the recommended earth point. I think there is a theory about keeping the '+' and '-' as far apart as possible to avoid a spark igniting the produced gases 8-)

The battery is in the cab!!! Coo, didn't know that. I'm bringing her home today to get ready for a few days away so I'll plug her in and see what happens . . . . . once I've jumped her at the storage facility 8-)

Thank you all for your valuable contributions.

W2G

Well I found it. Underneath the carpet, plastic access panel and metal bolted down access panel. All attached and charging in the dry.

Many thanks your the valuable input chaps. Much appreciated.

W2G

Archived