Footpump..advice/opinions?

pepe63xnotuse

Can anyone recommend a decent quality,"made to last" foot pump?..something that'll reliably(and accurately) reach the levels required for adjusting Mh tyres(around 70psi+ on our rear)....

Our current "manual" pump is giving up the ghost(but it was only a cheapie rattlely,squeaky Halfords type)..I was looking at this:

http://www.toolbox.co.uk/sealey-fp4-foot-pump-twin-2057-110625

But 13 quid doesn't seem very much for a "professional" item...

I had considered looking at a decent stirrup pump...?

Any ideas? ;-)

Guest Tracker

Have you ever tried pumping up a flat motorhome tyre with a foot pump!

I have - and I soon gave it up as an ineffective use of time and energy - and reverted a 12v inflater instead!

Much easier to watch a psi dial slowly progress than the flat bit of a tyre go away!

So now I carry a 12 volt inflater and no foot pump!

pepe63 - 2012-05-10 12:17 PM

Can anyone recommend a decent quality,"made to last" foot pump?..something that'll reliably(and accurately) reach the levels required for adjusting Mh tyres(around 70psi+ on our rear)....

Our current "manual" pump is giving up the ghost(but it was only a cheapie rattlely,squeaky Halfords type)..I was looking at this:

http://www.toolbox.co.uk/sealey-fp4-foot-pump-twin-2057-110625

But 13 quid doesn't seem very much for a "professional" item...

I had considered looking at a decent stirrup pump...?

Any ideas? ;-)

Michelin do some pretty solid looking pumps ( see Amazon )

We got a single barrel one for the car, and it seems quite sturdy, but not sure what pressure it will go up to.

You could always look at the ' track ' pumps ( like stirrup pumps ) that are sold in mountain bike shops - they go to higher pressures.

For the van we've got a 12 volt.

:-|

I wouldn't be pumpin' it up from flat(...as presumably it would've gone flat for a reason..in which case I'd be putting the spare on.. ;-))

I want it for just quickly adjusting the pressures(..I've got a 12v Michelin pump but it's quicker using the footpump).

(..I recall my Dad had a pump for bl**dy years...solid and really heavy...unlike the flimsy tack that's about now..)

I found an old Autoexpress test(but from 2007)and although they gave the Michelins a good rating..the user feedback comments slatted them somewhat...

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/208095/foot_pumps.html

:-S

If you have ever had to put air into a mountain bike tyre you know the amount of effort required even if it is not flat. Then consider the increased volume of air required by a MH tyre just to raise the pressure by 1lb. The volume of a MH tyre is at least 100times more than a bike tyre - you would be there all day. If it takes 5 strokes of pump to raise pressure by 1 LB (and that feels about right) then you would need 500 strokes to raise tyre pressure 1Lb - thats a rough calc without resorting to the maths of donut volumes which from memory is complicated.

yes, in the old days we used foot pumps for cars but the tyres were cross ply and a lot narrower , lower pressure, and hence significanrly less volume of air reqired - even then it was hard work - i'm only in my 60's but can remember helping my dad pump up a tyre with a foot pump.

i use my electric pump for bike tyres and only resort to a hand pump in emergencies - its qucker and more efficient and saves loads of tie and effort.

peter

Thanks for all of the interest...

Just to clarify,I do use a foot pump at the moment..so I'm aware of how much oomph is required to operate one ...;-)

I'll have a poke around our local motorfactor/tool outlets and see if I can find something which isn't too cheap'n'nasty looking... ;-)

Sorry I bought a Michelin twinbarrel footpump last year and I do not rate it at all. The main problem is that it is very hard to get the hose connector to sit properly on the tyre valve so that it opens. This happens on all our vehicles. This results in heavy foot pressure being required and sometimes the hose comes adrift from the hose connector as the only way the pressure can escape if the air cannot get in the tyre. .

The centre pin in the pump connector to thetyre is it would appear to be plastic. Gone are the days when these were metal. Also the rubber protective covers to the metal feet from time to time come off.

It may be mine is a " friday pump" but it did not live up to hopes. I should of returned it but it was bought on the net and stupidly I shoved it in the garage rather than sending it back.

Archived