Fiat Lunar Goldstar 620 2.3 JTD / 130BHP - - Your Views Please.

kevandali

Hi Everyone,

We have finally taken the leap and are about to downsize from our Swift Suntor 630L on an 06 plate to a Fiat Lunar Goldstar 620 2.3 JTD/130BHP, on an 58 plate.

It still has our much wanted U shaped lounge that has fitted lap belts (yes I know, not much use if a lorry hits you from behind!)

Just wanted to know if anyone out there has one and if so what are your views, both good and bad.

We have until next Saturday to change our mind if required.

As always, your views are much appreciated.

You will probably be aware Lunar no longer manufacturer motorhomes, but if that lorry should hit you from behind it might be worth making a few phone calls just to see how difficult a new rear panel is to repair/find.

Thanks for the quick reply, I have now started worrying.

Me and my better half went over the Lunar and checked everything was in order, the company that we are buying the van from shall remain nameless but for arguements sake we can call them 'Greenmountains'

They have a really good offer of 3 years warrenty, 2 years free tracking and one years free insurance, which is great.

However, I am unsure how to find out if we could get Lunar spares if the unfortunate should happen?

The van looks and feels great and if it wasn't for the fact that Lunar have now stopped making vans, I would have no concerns at all.

What do you Lunar and non Lunar owners think??

kevandali - 2012-05-13 8:22 AM

...However, I am unsure how to find out if we could get Lunar spares if the unfortunate should happen?...

Simplest way, I would think, would be to contact Lunar Caravans and ask them

Lunar Caravans Ltd

6 Sherdley Road

Lostock Hall

Preston

Lancashire

PR5 5JF

Telephone: 01772 337 628

Fax: 01772 627 722

Web: http://www.lunarcaravans.com

We have recently purchased a "Homecar" made in Belgium they took on producing "Lunar" Motorhomes I looked at couple of Lunar vans at the Peterborough show and the fittings and equipment looked identical so I would think all (many) spares would be available from the Homecar factory. Just Been 3mths in Spain with the new Homecar with very few probs yet although it's early days.

mirage - 2012-05-12 9:13 PM

You will probably be aware Lunar no longer manufacturer motorhomes, but if that lorry should hit you from behind it might be worth making a few phone calls just to see how difficult a new rear panel is to repair/find.

Lunar have never made Motorhomes they just re-badged Belgium made Homecar Lunar stopped doing them when Homecar went bump.

Homecar have since started up again whether spares are available the older models before the crash it could be a problem for items specific to Homecar, most fixtures & fittings should be generally available.

Homecar never had a particularly good reputation for build quality, I saw a Lunar on the M25 recently where the bottom side of the overcab bodywork was flapping in the wind where it had come detached from the cab.

I wouldn't go near one myself even if it was very cheap but I'm biased I had a Lunar caravan that had more water in the walls than the garden pond - they didn't call them leaky Lunars for no reason.

lennyhb - 2012-05-14 10:57 PM

mirage - 2012-05-12 9:13 PM

Lunar have never made Motorhomes they just re-badged Belgium made Homecar Lunar stopped doing them when Homecar went bump.

Homecar have since started up again whether spares are available the older models before the crash it could be a problem for items specific to Homecar, most fixtures & fittings should be generally available.

Homecar never had a particularly good reputation for build quality, I saw a Lunar on the M25 recently where the bottom side of the overcab bodywork was flapping in the wind where it had come detached from the cab.

I wouldn't go near one myself even if it was very cheap but I'm biased I had a Lunar caravan that had more water in the walls than the garden pond - they didn't call them leaky Lunars for no reason.

Not so...

To quote from the 2009 Lunar motorhome brochure:

http://www.lunarcaravans.com/files/brochures_file-6.pdf

"Lunar was established in 1969 by co-founders Brian Talbot and Ken Wilcock, both of whom worked as joiners for Knowsley Caravans, before setting up Lunar.

In 1969, inspired by the moon landing mission Brian and Ken chose ‘Lunar’ as the name of their caravan manufacturing business. Initially based at Earnshaw Bridge, Farington, near Preston, Lunar then moved to a former mill site in Lostock Hall.

In 1971 they renovated the Lostock Hall site using their own joinery and building skills to incorporate a storage area and manufacturing plant and in 1975 Lunar ventured into the holiday home and motorhome markets to complement its touring caravan range.

In 2000 Lunar was purchased from Brian Talbot and Ken Wilcock by the Tirus Group who already had a number of caravan and motorhome manufacturing plants in Europe. It remained under their ownership until November 2007 when a management buyout secured the company’s return to British ownership."

During the period 2000-2007, when Lunar was part of the Tirus Group, the Continental-European "Home-Car" range of motorhomes was marketed in the UK via Lunar under the "Champ" range-name. But the UK Lunar factory continued to manufacture motorhomes while under Tirus Group ownership.

Consequently, any Lunar-badged motorhome (built before, during or after the Lunar company was Tirus Group owned), and not bearing the "Champ" name, will be a 'genuine' Lunar and built in the UK. The 58-plate "Goldstar 620" kevandali is interested in is UK-built and nothing to do with Home-Car.

Lunar ceased motorhome production in 2009

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=17566

kevandali - 2012-05-12 8:29 PM

It still has our much wanted U shaped lounge that has fitted lap belts

Kev,

Are the lap belts fitted to 'designated travel seats' signified by official markings or are they aftermarket fitments?

If they do not have the official designated symbol then they are not legal to use as the vehicle was obviously registered after October 2007 (IIRC) when the law on seat belts changed.

I must add that I thought that lap only belts where not legal after that date but stand to be corrected.

And another comment. I was talking to someone last weekend who had bought a S/H MH from 'Greenmountains' within the last 12 months and he said he would never ever go anywhere near the place again. Just passing on his comments, not passing judgement you appreciate.

Keith.

Thanks for all the replies, interesting reading, I have heard so much about this 'green mountain' place but have been lucky 'so far' we have had two vans from there and everything has been fine.

We are still making up our minds about the van but going to test drive today and have another good look round, as always, thamks for the help.

When you do the test drive find a hill and reverse part way up it, if it judders take it back to the dealers and walk away from it. If you go ahead and buy it you will need to have some sort of assurance that the rectification work can be carried out at no cost to yourself. Good Luck.

Kev,

I've just looked at the link posted in a reply on your engine thread and can't see any mention of the seat belts in the rear lounge so please can you explain how you fit 2 lap belts when there is obviously only room for one forward facing passenger, or do sections of the seat bases remove to make another?

I am seriously concerned that they may be side facing as this is illegal, as well as downright dangerous (IMO),on this age of vehicle!

Please, please check very carefully for your own sake.

Keith.

Edit. 'Greenmountains' also have it as a "PHGV over 3500kg" on the details tab but then as "3500kg" in the spec so which is it?

Are the lap belts fitted to 'designated travel seats' signified by official markings or are they aftermarket fitments?

Not sure about the belts, Keith, will take a closer look on my/our next visit, they are fitted to the back forward facing seats but also to the side seat, maybe the side seat was used for just strapping things in? I will investigate further.

As for the build quality, all seemed really well made but maybe was viewing through rose tinted spectacles, again, we will have another god look before we sign on the dotted line.

being a x owner of 2008 lunar moonstar .we had problems with the fridge falling out of housing when driving .none of the furnisher had been screwed down to floor .three new doors had to be fitted .went back to factory to have wall pulled in to line so new door would close flush.there was a very bad draft were cab meets coach built rear.had never been sealed when built.check the joining strip were roof meets overcab pod this is a leaking point on these models .water sits on flat roof when parked level...when you do not have van level in runs down side of van and on to top of side windows and can sometimes enter inside van through window seal .had to fight with lunar to get some jobs done .the older models were very good.the gold star is same van but about two foot shorter. 

Archived