Engine Advice 2.3 JTD 130BHP - 5 gears

kevandali

Hi everyone.

Our present vehicle has the old 2.8 JTD 5 spead engine and the one we are hoping to get has the 2.3 JTD 130BHP - 5 gears. I am not worried about the power as I think on reading several posts, it will be ok.

I have confused myself about how god/bad the engine is, as I noticed there was also a 2.3 MJD.

My quick question(s) is/are:- has anyone got this engine and if so is there anything I need to look out for when we test drive it at the weekend and what do you think of it?

Cheers, as always

Kev

I am as confused as everyone else, 130BHP X250 is 6 speed. I owned a 2.8JTD (five speed) and found the 5th gear always too high for uphill travel i.e. 5th had no power, 4th revved too much for any uphill speed. The X250 in a Panel Van form pulls perfectly adequately in 6th gear uphill and if necessary will pull uphill in 5th at speed without over revving and in my experience is far superior to the old JTD. Its overall noise level is substantially lower.

The manual transmission used with Fiat's 2.3litre "JTD" (uniJet Turbo Diesel) motor in X244 Ducato vehicles (marketed up to mid-2006) was 5-speed.

The manual transmission used with Fiat's 2.3litre "Multijet" motor in current model X250 Ducatos (marketed from mid-2006) is 6-speed. There's no doubt about this - the manual gearbox of ALL X250 Ducatos with the 2.3litre Multijet motor had/has 6 forward-gear ratios.

The 2.3litre motor has a timing-belt (plus a cam-to-cam chain), but I don't know the belt change-interval.

Presumably it's this vehicle you are interested in?

http://www.brownhills.co.uk/17835-fiat-lunar-goldstar-620-2-3-jtd-130bhp.html

In which case I suggest that you confirm the specification with Brownhills, as the motor's correct designation should be 130 MultiJet (not JTD) and the transmission-type should be 6-speed.

(I'm sure you must be aware of the transmission-related 'juddering in reverse' problems that this motor/transmission combination seemed particularly vulnerable to, so I won't comment further on that.)

Just got back from the test drive, the engine is the 2.3 multi jet 130bhp 6 speed and drove really well and even though I had not read the previous thread about the juddering in reverse, I reversed up an incline and all seemed fine.

Still not 100% sure about the van yet but having another look around this weekend with the better half and taking it for another test drive.

In a nutshell NO as you don't say what is or is not included in the MIRO figure quoted!

Where did you get the figure from and does it not say what is included?

It probably includes driver at 75 kg and 90% fuel but doubtful on water.

Keith.

Archived