Kayaks, canoes, etc

phallett

Sorry, nervous newby here, and I have tried searching, but to no avail, but I have just bought a Hymer Carado A366 and wanted to carry canoes on it.

I can't really get any info on how best to do it. Anyone got any advice for me?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

phallett - 2012-05-14 4:15 PM

Sorry, nervous newby here, and I have tried searching, but to no avail, but I have just bought a Hymer Carado A366 and wanted to carry canoes on it.

I can't really get any info on how best to do it. Anyone got any advice for me?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Hi

You don't sat what type of kayak and It really depends on the type of Kayak/Canoe you want to carry.

Some of the modern Kayaks/Canoes are really short for white water use, indeed my old Spud is less than 2m long, and thats long by modern standards. Given their light weight and short lenght you can put on a bike rack and use split paddles if you are kayaking. Some of the sit on surf kayaks are also v short.

My slightly longer Kayak i used to put in the Mhome to travel wrapped in two roll mats to protect the inside.

These white water designs are not really designed for distance work but i have travelled a few miles in the past.

Longer than that and you are limited to the roof BUT care re height + windage + how you access to tie on.

I did look at an inflateable but there are very few you can roll reliably so i dumped that idea but there may be a design to suit your needs

Last option is a trailer. I have been towing a motorbike and have considered strapping on one of my kayaks but again there are lenght implications and it seemed too much hassle in the end.

Not sure i would strap on the roof without roof bars.

There is no easy answer - sorry i can't be more helpful

Good luck

Peter

Another option is an inflatable canoe such as Saylor or Gumbota,these are not toys but serious craft.

A rarity is a folding boat either a collaspible frame whisch slides into a skin or a boat which folds up like an origami puzzle or folds in two like a rowing skiff.

What about carrying it inside if it will fit through a window in the rear.

I carried a 17' Grumman in my Hymer this way loads of padding and cushions inside and a good helper

We'll be 6 up most of the time so carrying it inside would be not be safe to carry inside, I think.

I guess we'll get a roof rack and go from there. We are looking at buying a couple of 8 foot sit ons, for the kids (not too confortable with their skill set to get them e nclosed ones).

Might have to plan this out a bit more, or tow a trailer.

As you are carrying 6 most of the time have you checked your weight fully loaded for a trip with all people aboard on a weighbridge?

Although the Carado has a big payload 6 people + associated gear is going to be a lot of weight. You don't say which chassis you have is it the 3495 kg or the 3850 kg.

The payload on the 3495kg is 595kg the 3850kg it's 950kg, sounds a lot but with 6 on board doesn't go far. You also have to reduce available payload by the weight of an extras fitted over the basic model e.g. 2nd battery 30kg, awning 35-45kg, engine aircon 28kg, oven 14kg, being a basic van the option list is big and quickly reduces the payload.

Good news is roof rack & ladder is only 17kg.

The only problem I can see about carrying canoes etc on the roof is that you'll be over 3 metres high for the motorways (that's if you use them) and will be class 3!

We have a Sevylor, it takes up a fair bit of space in the m'home, but on site keep it inflated and locked to the bikes on the rack. 

The Sevylor is pretty good, but not aquadynamic enough.

You might like to reconsider inflatables and have a look at Gumotex ones - they are very rugged and come in a variety of types/styles. They do 2 types of 'quality' the top quality full Nitrolon ones and the Litepak once which are Nitrilon on the base/sides and a lighter material on the inner.

http://www.gumotex.com/inflatable-boats

http://www.gwdoling.co.uk/Inflatable_Kayaks/gumotex/about_gumotex.asp

http://www.gwdoling.co.uk/Inflatable_Kayaks/Gumotex/Gumotex.asp

We had a Gumotex Palava (2/3 seater) originally which we got from Czech but found that we had too many 'discussions' as to who was paddling right/wrong so went for 2 single Gumotex Junior ones (not made now but very similar to the current Twist model) to see how we got on in them (cheap off Ebay). We took to them very well so got a couple of new Wetline (Airhead) inflatable canoes and whilst they were very good they were an absolute pain when we wanted to pack up - they have bladders inside an outer cover, which means that water gets inside the cover and therefore they are an absolute pig to dry out - fine if you can take them home and hang them up in your garage, but in a motorhome we just didn't find them practical. So we then got a couple of Gumotex Solars off Ebay and they were great, but then our 'dream' ones came up - Gumotex Helios 1 model - so we treated ourselves to 2 of them and sold the Solars.

We find the greatest benefit of the Gumotex, apart from their being excellent canoes and very well made, is that after a quick rinse with clean water (to prevent the spread of algea etc from one place to another, and vital if you've used them in the sea to remove the salt) they can just be wiped down and put away, this is NOT the case with many of the other inflatable canoes such as the Sevylor range, which have the bladders inside an outer cover which are fine if you are on a campsite with a lake and can leave them to dry outside your MH, otherwise they are an absolute pain.

We use them with split paddles and everything goes into the garage or our motorhome (life jackets, pump etc) and as they come with their own back-packs they can be carried and then inflated if needs be (although using a folding trolley is easier!).

You can get cheaper ones than the Gumotex ones but if you want something that will take bumps and bashes, scrapes and scratches (WW2+) you'll struggle to beat them and they do retain their value so if you come to sell them on you shouldn't loose too much on them.

It all depends what you would like to use your Kayak for. Serious water and an inflatable is no use. After downsizing my van I decided to add an inflatable to my stable and as I enjoy moving water I researched the market and settled on a Sea Eagle. The top of the range are not cheap but mine can handle grade 3 water has a removable keel making it suitable for lake, sea or river, takes me 6 minutes to set up and it provides a stable platform allowing me to stand up and fish from it. So for me it does the lot and as I am of an age that that grade 3 water is enough I have been able to clear my garage selling my Kayaks and Open canoes. Quids in.

Archived