Seat belts in France.

carroll

Seat belts in France.  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Carroll, you asked for favourite aires but interestingly no one supplied any. Well four of our favourite aires in and around Normandy are:

St. Romain de Colbosc. This is a new aire (do not think will be in "All the Aires" book, but is on camping-car infos site) and is ideal for a relaxing day or two. Aire has individual pitches each with hook-up and both parking and services are free. (N49 31' 16.2, E000 20' 48.6).

Montville.Nice enough aire with free wi-fi. Main attraction for us is easy accees by rail to Rouen.

Honfleur Not a popular aire with many who call it a "motorhome slum" but we do not think it is any way as bad as that and you can walk into beautiful Honfleur.

St Fromond A lovely setting overlooking small river at base of village. Little used and nice to relax for a few days.(N49 13'17.9, W01 5' 25.2)

Hope this helps and enjoy.

Keithl - 2012-05-19 10:22 PM

Cheryl,

The only AutoTrail models in the Tracker range I can find with rear seat belts are the RS and FB and then these ONLY WITH the half dinette option and on FORWARD facing seats.

As far as I can remember AutoTrail DO NOT make any model with seat belts on side facing seats as these have been illegal since October 2007.

If you disagree please can you provide a link to show me otherwise.

Keith.

Hi Keith

Well it was being sold by White Arches Motorhomes, it was a Tracker EKS - a 4 berth motorhome with a seat belt on each side of the facing settees behind the driver & passenger seat. I know that it was true because we very nearly bought the thing. The whole reason for NOT buying it was the seatbelt arrangement. My husband being an ex-fire officer, did not think it was safe to carry passengers, so we declined to make the deal.

To be truthful, I don't care whether you believe me or not, I know they made one for the reason we considered buying it!!! I cannot send you a link because it is now sold.

Edit added 'FORWARD facing seats' for clarity.

Actually Cheryl I do believe you, but it was most probably altered after first sale and I'll tell you why... (it was only your post that reminded me!)

A few weeks ago we went to see a 57 plate Cheyenne on a new Merc and it had 2 lap only belts on the off-side side facing settee. When we questioned the owner about them he said they where not fitted by AT but by a previous owner as AT never offered them as an option on side facing settees.

I strongly suspect the Tracker you mention had had them fitted as an aftermarket modification, but I would be very loath to use them without knowing how they had been fitted as bolting through the floor is all most people seem to do and this is not strong enough to restrain an adult in the event of a crash.

Keith.

flicka - 2012-05-21 10:59 AM

flicka - 2012-05-20 10:16 PM

sshortcircuit - 2012-05-19 4:54 PM

Please point me in the correct direction where this law is.

When I search "seat belt law" I find "The Motor Vehicles (Wearing of Seat Belts) Regulations 1993'' and in this under exemptions I find "©a person riding in the rear of a vehicle if no adult belt is available for him in the rear of the vehicle."

I assume this has been changed?

Hi SShortcircuit

I haven't read all the text, but I think this link relates to the amendments

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2006/1892/contents/made

The above link shows the Regulations were amended to comply with EU Regulations, so I assume the situation in France will be the same. (?)

Thanks again and this does appear to relate to carrying children. I have only glanced through but found the following interesting "a person must not without reasonable excuse drive the vehicle on a road unless the air bag is deactivated.” obviously related to a child, but I was not aware of that

This website may also be of interest to you

http://www.aire-service-camping-car-panoramique.fr/

It only deals with the north-west part of France, and it's coverage is far from complete, but you do get good pictures. Except for St Fromond (which the i-campingcar.fr has information about), robertandjean's suggestions have entries.

We used to tour extensively in Lower Normndy, when P&O used Cherbourg as a destination, but nowadays we take the ferry to Caen and then go south or west. It's probably 5 years since we've visited Upper Normandy but, if that's where you'll be going, you might try the aire at Forges-les-Eaux.

http://www.aire-service-camping-car-panoramique.fr/seine-maritime/76-forges-les-eaux

If your stay in Frace is of limited duration (ourselves, we are never abroad for more than a fortnight at a time) and you plan to restrict yourself to Normandy and, presumably, have a rough itinerary in mind regarding where in Normandy you want to go and what you want to see, then I suggest you let your intinerary control your visit and then decide which aires might be appropriate for the route you'll be taking.

Archived