Toilet Fluid

Countryboy33

We just put in a generous "glug" (probably about a mugfull) of Lidl's, or Aldi's finest (actually, their cheapest) down the pan and thus into the empty cassette.

I also put a couple of capfuls into the flushwater tank thingy.

Job done; and no more paying the lunatic prices for Thetford stuff.

Of course you never actually save the money, as whilst there you just buy more "slabs" of their uber-cheap but perfectly quaff-able beer instead.

Yes I agree that Thetford fluids are expensive but you can get 2 litres of toilet fluid from Aldi or Charlies (Welsh borders superstores) for £6.99. The thetford measure is 75ml so you get 26 measures for 6.99 which is roughly 26p per measure. If you buy the cheapest washing liquid around 99p for 1 litre and put in 1/2 litre or even a 'mug-full' of around 1/3 litre thats at least 33p per measure so where's the saving? I thought the bio-liquid was supposed to be a cheap option - am I missing something?

We've tried them all and have always returned to Thetford Blue, we believe it to be the best and worth the extra, besides which it is only £10.99 for 2.5litres at Go Outdoors, so it is not a lot different to the cost of the cheap ones and it does work which is more than you can say for some of the others!

Bas

Its not a question of price, it all hinges on the type of sewage system especially if it is a cess pit or septic tank. The chemicals can cause damage to the biological processes in the pits and some sites will not let you use 'toilet blue',this is quite common on some German sites.

Its not a question of price, it all hinges on the type of sewage system especially if it is a cess pit or septic tank. The chemicals can cause damage to the biological processes in the pits and some sites will not let you use 'toilet blue',this is quite common on some German sites.

Hi

A couple of weeks ago we bought a Lidl 'special offer' 5ltrs of Formil Bio for £5, actually bought 2. This will be the first time we have not used the Thetford blu but going by the word on this forum we think it will work out much cheaper, not to mention the above stated restrictions if we come across them.

good luck

derek

We have used Lidl bio for a year now, We have been buying it in France 3ltr for E2.49 compare that with Thetford blue. Plus lots of small sites will not let you use Thetford blue only bio. I have now got enough to last us a year or more. Another plus for the washing liquid is that it keeps the tank nice and clean.

Hi

How does the Bio manage "nasty niffs" after 2 or 3 days in hot weather?

We returned to using Thetford Blu cos, with that product, there is not usually a problem if i cannot empty for 2 or three days, - this was not our experience with the Thetford green product.

I usually only wild camp or use basic Aires for a max of 3 days before having a night or two in a full facility site. Outside of campsites you can find Aires or service stations with dump facilities but this is not guaranteed and depends on the country you are in.

I know, and have seen, m/homers take their toilet tank off into the bushes but it is not a practice i adopt.

Peter

yeti - 2012-05-20 11:29 PM

Why is that then as Thetford say it is safe to dispose of in all enviorenments? Supposedly the bad chemicals were stopped some years back.

Bas

Basil - 2012-05-21 6:56 PM

yeti - 2012-05-20 11:29 PM

Why is that then as Thetford say it is safe to dispose of in all enviorenments? Supposedly the bad chemicals were stopped some years back.

Bas

If you read the latest Thetford-europe pdf, they only say Kem Green is safe to empty in all envioroments, they make no such claims for Kem Blu.

Our ‘green’ products*, Aqua Kem

Green, Aqua Kem Natural and Aqua Rinse (Test ISO 11734) are absolutely safe to empty into a septic tank or other kinds of small biological systems on the camp site. And that’s good to know as more and more camping sites are recommending their guests to use ‘green’ products.

colin - 2012-05-21 9:54 PM

Basil - 2012-05-21 9:25 PM

Then why did they issue this after claims that Aqua Kem was not safe to empty?

See http://www.thetford.com/Portals/0/pdf/Formaldehyde.pdf

Bas

P.S. Also the last paragrapph on this

See http://www.thetford.com/HOME/CUSTOMERSUPPORT/FAQ/sanitationfaq/tabid/283/Default.aspx#there

As I said, read thetford-europe, not us site.

Hi

i have been through the thetford-europe website and cannot find anything to contradict the links above - am i missing something - if so can someone provide the appropriate link.

Peter

We have tried each of the above products and have decided that different products suit our different types of camping.

Weekend festivals/UK sites we use a non formaldehyde product from O'Learys. Violet in colour.

If camping in Europe we take ELSAN Green.

For this we pay the price - it is also difficult to find, although we did find some at Highbridge Caravans.

We also have a spray bottle of dilute pink liquid. Plus gel deodourisers in the small room.

We have now acquired 4 of the small bottles which live underneath the tank. We keep them labelled to distinquish them, as overseas sites can be paranoid about non green coloured fluid.

Joyce

Hi

there have been several allusions to campsites not liking "non green" toilet fluids. I have never experienced this in trips from Portugal/spain in south to Holland in North, france in west to Austria/greece in east. (mostly on ACSI sites)

i wondered if it was me not being very observant about signage or is this something new?

Peter

peterjl - 2012-05-22 2:09 PM

Hi

i have been through the thetford-europe website and cannot find anything to contradict the links above - am i missing something - if so can someone provide the appropriate link.

Peter

The quote below is directly copied from a pdf on thetford europe, have not time at moment to go looking for it again.

Green, Aqua Kem Natural and Aqua Rinse (Test ISO 11734) are absolutely safe to empty into a septic tank or other kinds of small biological systems on the camp site. And that’s good to know as more and more camping sites are recommending their guests to use ‘green’ products.

colin - 2012-05-22 4:12 PM

peterjl - 2012-05-22 2:09 PM

Hi

Peter

The quote below is directly copied from a pdf on thetford europe, have not time at moment to go looking for it again.

But that doesn't say that the Blue isn't safe only that the Green is, in my view trying to market to a 'green' agenda market.

Bas

What it implies is that blue doesn't pass ISO 11734, but in other markets Thetford have blue that does and Thetford are happy to say as such! I don't know if european blue has formaldahyde in it as I've not purchased blue for years, but if it has any sugnicant quantity it should be marked on bottle.

Archived