Sterling Inverter.

Wooie

Hi again folks.

Just a quick question before i contact the supplier on wednesday.

I have just fitted a Sterling ProPower Q 350W inverter.

This is to replace the cheapo one i had which gave up the ghost the second time we used it. We was only running a laptop and printer on a 300W inverter so i don`t think we overloaded it.

The inverter is connected directly to the battery with it`s own cables and earthed to the chassis.

I have fitted an mains extension cable which runs up to the cupboard where i have fitted a double wall socket.

Everything works fine but........once in a while the red light flashes, everything keeps working ok and the unit has plenty of room around it for air movement and is nice and cool and the fan isn`t on. The battery is fully charged and it does the same even when i pull the fuse on the solar panel so i don`t think it`s the panel causing it to flash.

There must be a " Techie " on here that might be able to give me a clue just in case it`s something and nothing before i go to the trouble of contacting the supplier.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

Graham.

Guest pelmetman

I only have a cheapy Halfords special but it beeps on occasion for no particular reason :-S

I'm thinking of buying a better inverter for my energy pod......so I'll look forward to input from our resident wiggly experts ;-)

I had a3 00 watt inverter and a Laptop blew it up. The inverter was a "modified sine wave" type which really means square waves with gaps. Use a "Pure Sine Wave" inverter and all will be well. (apart from your pocket)

C.

Surely the (probably) cheapest and most efficient route would be to get a dedicated 12v laptop power supply?

I used to use a reasonable sized inverter and standard laptop power supply running off a split charge battery in works test cars and it gave the battery a right hammering when the engine was not running.

I then got a dedicated 12v input power supply and the difference is remarkable. I can't quote the input figure for the 12v supply as it is at work but will look on Wednesday if you want.

Keith.

There is no pattern to it and the red light is very dim and only flashes slowly.

The first time i noticed it all i had plugged in was the Avtex TV at 35W.

I have since tried more items up to about 175W and it`s just the same, sometimes it does

and sometimes it doesn`t.

I`m asking because if it is something and nothing that someone else has experienced

there might be a quick fix.

Regards

I`ve just had an e-mail back from Sterling and they say that it is not a problem so long as the red light is not bright and staying on.

The reason i noticed it ( i think ) is because it is fitted under one of the benches and is quite dark, i imagine if it had been fitted out in the open in full light i wouldn`t have noticed it. Maybe they all do it ?

I`ll keep my eye on it and report back if needed.

Thanks for all the input.

Regards

Graham.

Archived