Over locker lighting

Cliffy

One of the oiver locker lights in my Autotrail Tracker has stopped working.

I assumed it would be just a matter of replacing the tube. But as usual it is never that simple.

The lamps are difficult to access to say the least.

As they appeared to be flurescent bulbs I went looking for a starter to replace, what I found was an electronic circuit board shrink rapped in plastic. So it looks like I need to buy a complete new light fitting.

As yet I have not found anything that looks vaguely similar but I have found self adhesive LED light strips which would be easier to fit and probably significantly cheaper. I would prefer to maintain the van with original equipment but as the fittings cannot be seen that is not that important and as we dont use the lights very often the low consumtion of LEDs is not important.

Has anyone had any experience of sourcing the original design lamps or of fitting LED strips in the same circuit as none LED bulbs.

As usual your help and advice would be greatly appreciated .

I am a bit confused, have you actually managed to source a fluorscent tube for the light and replaced it? The tubes are fairly standard for most electronic fittings and easy to get and would be your cheapest option to try 1st.

I swopped the tubes over in the lights so I know the tube is Ok, so it must be the electronic unit attached to the light fitting that is shot, so I need to replace the whole lamp unit with the same as the original or with LEDs.

Hi Cliff, the over locker uplighters in AutoTrails are notorious for dying and the units themselves are now, as far as I can establish obsolete. Replace them all with LED strips is the best long term solution. And you are absolutely correct, they are a real pig to get at so don't bother trying to remove the old ones just remove the tubes, disconnect the wires and lay the led strips either along side or in the gaps where the tubes used to be.

D.

Hi Cliff,

I replaced all the overlocker fluorescents in our AT late last year with strip LED's from ATEN lighting as we prefer the 'warm white' LED's to the harsh light of the fluorescents (we had never actually used them for this reason).

As Dave says they are a pain to remove, but as they are only stuck down with double sided tape I used a trim removal tool and cardboard to protect the top of the locker and all they all came out ok. I then stuck the LED's along where they came from using a thin strip of wood as an aid to align them. Be careful to get them straight when you stick them down as you will see them shine on the ceiling and if not straight it will annoy you.

I have a boxful of fluorescent fittings and tubes in the garage (all working when removed) if you're interested!

Keith.

I replaced all the tubes in our underlocker/overwindow lights with LED Strips, cut to length with a couple of wires soldered on. A small chocolate box screw connector to connect to the existing wiring, then stick the self adhesive strip LED's where the tubes were. Job Done.

I also replaced the puny bulb in the wardrobe with a full length LED strip, so I can now source my fresh underpants with ease (every week that is 8-) )

laimeduck - 2012-06-08 7:59 AM

I replaced all the tubes in our underlocker/overwindow lights with LED Strips, cut to length with a couple of wires soldered on. A small chocolate box screw connector to connect to the existing wiring, then stick the self adhesive strip LED's where the tubes were. Job Done.

I also replaced the puny bulb in the wardrobe with a full length LED strip, so I can now source my fresh underpants with ease (every week that is 8-) )

Oooh posh or what? Clean pair every week!! We don't have a very large wardrobe so just take the one pair with me and wash them through at the end of the month whether they need it or not! :D

Mike

I bought a 5mtr led length in a roll off ebay about £10, disconnect original striplights and connect up leds. depending how your lockers are you might get away with running the whole length round the top out of sight. Or you just cut and rewire as required, ours works a treat on two switches for both sides, just the spot lights to change now. :-D

Hi Folks

Thanks for all your replies, it looks like it is LEDs all round.

I have just started replacing the reading lights so I will move on to the overlocker lights afterwards.

Cheers

Cliff

Archived