Where did you get your plastic storage boxes from?

kevandali

Hello motorhome veterans, the 'other half' or should I say 'better half' has decreed that we are going to use plastic storage boxes in our high level cupboards around our U shaped lounge.

Any of you lot actually use them? and if so, where did you get them from.

Got various measurements so I think its just a case of hunting round till we come across the right ones for the job, as always, any help much appreciated.

Kev

Guest Tracker

Ice cream containers - get your friends and family to save the empty ones for you!

Sweet containers - free from most newsagents etc who are usually happy to get rid of them!

Plastic punnets used by supermarkets for strawberries and other fruit!

Wooden boxes can easily be made from hardboard cut to size and fastened together with gaffer tape!

Suitably spaced shelves in the top lockers make access easier!

Anything else that comes to hand as long as it's free!!

PS - I do reluctantly have to admit to being a 'veteran' - another year older veteran tomorrow too!

Wilkinsons (Wilkos) usually have a range of "boxes in a" box at sensible prices.

Always to check how secure what sort of closing you want if the boxes are bouncing about in the cupboard. Nowt worse than finding your museli loose in the top cupboard !

Learnt that by experience !

Rgds

Guest pelmetman
Yep ice cream containers ;-).............although they're not as good as they used to be *-)

Guest Tracker
pelmetman - 2012-06-08 7:41 PM

Yep ice cream containers ;-).............although they're not as good as they used to be *-)

Think positive Dave - modern ice cream tubs are much thinner and flimsier than those of the good old days but think of all that weight saving!

Ikea Skubb drawer boxes....about £6 for a pack of 6 in 3 different sizes made of stiff material in 3 colours. They fold flat when not in use . We have an autotrail and the fit in our top cupboards perfectly.

They are also washable. We also use the shoe boxes from same range will take 2 pairs and stack well in wardrobe. *-)

Hi Kev,

We use smallish storage boxes in several of our overhead lockers and larger ones in the wardrobe to store our clothes and find this system works very well.

All ours came from our local Dunelm Mill. They always seem to have a very good range of sizes (and colours) in stock.

Keith.

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2012-06-08 7:47 PM

pelmetman - 2012-06-08 7:41 PM

Think positive Dave - modern ice cream tubs are much thinner and flimsier than those of the good old days but think of all that weight saving!

Sorry Rich it's my rose tinted glasses again ;-)..............it used to take a hammer and chisel to get the stuff out in those days (lol)...........must be why they where so well made 8-)............but once they invented soft scoop it went down hill *-)

As an aside once met the chap who invented ice cream that could be turned into things like Snickers and Mars Bars etc........he and his Mrs was at the table next to us in a nearly empty hotel in Bath...........seem'd a strange thing to boast about at the time.............no doubt he's loaded now :D

You can also use stackable vegetable rackes (3 separate parts usually) which makes stuff that you use regularly easily accessible.

tonyishuk - 2012-06-08 7:40 PM

... Nowt worse than finding your museli loose in the top cupboard !

... vicious stuff is it???? (lol)

Guest Tracker
derek pringle - 2012-06-09 10:00 AM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TRACKER

Cheers Derek

Aw gee thanks Derek - you noticed!!

We use small plastic baskets that were on offer of 4 for £1.99 at Aldi in the bedroom locker for underwear etc. We also have a chest of drawers in the garage (also an offer at Aldi but on sale at B&Q) which we put all T shirts, swimwear, shorts etc to leave the wardrobe free for hanging clothes.

Finally on the inside of the garage doors I have fitted the plastic shoe racks on sale for about a £5er from Bettawear which hang over a domestic door and put all our shoes on that. This rack always seems to attract attention when I open the door-think it's the amount of shoes the mrs always needs with her (Think she was a centipede in another life!)

Mike

davanne - 2012-06-08 7:54 PM

Ikea Skubb drawer boxes....about £6 for a pack of 6 in 3 different sizes made of stiff material in 3 colours. They fold flat when not in use . We have an autotrail and the fit in our top cupboards perfectly.

They are also washable. We also use the shoe boxes from same range will take 2 pairs and stack well in wardrobe. *-)

We use these boxes from Ikea they are not as rigid as plastic so easy to fit into overhead locker. Intended to be used as drawer organisers but great for organising things in the van

Regards

Margaret

Guest Tracker
The trouble with storage boxes is that storage space gets filled with boxes rather than with their contents so boxes can be a very inefficient way of using storage space unless they fit exactly - and what are the chances of that?

Since the Ikea boxes are made of stiffened fabric they don't take us as much space as plastic and can be pushed into spaces. They are very useful for socks and underwear. They are also great for small bits and pieces like phone chargers, torches etc which can easily get lost.

Regards

Margaret

I agree being stiff fabric the will fit perfectly and the different sizes are very useful as you say for smaller items. They are certainly worth a try as not too expensive.

Just google IKEA SKUBB DRAWER ORGANISERS £5.99 for 6 they also come in 3 colours cream,black and purple.

I have used them at home for a few years and when I couldn't find any boxes for the van I decided to try them...perfect!! . Jumpers ,tee shirts in big size underwear in medium and small items phone chargers etc in the small. We also use them in the bathroom cupboard. B-)

Guest Tracker

Sorry but I really can't see the point of using these Ikea boxes in drawers or in overhead lockers?

Our clothes all stay put in drawers or on shelves without any space being lost wasted because the boxes don't quite fit and I still think that small plastic containers of varying sizes that will stack because they have lids work best in overhead lockers!

The Range has a god range [ no pun ] of storage boxes on sale at good prices, we like to use the plastic boxes you now get from the Chinese when you have a take away to store food in our fridges, both at home and in the van, you can also buy these boxes new at the pound shops all over the place, we also have a lot of the clip and seal type boxes for use  in the van and at home, I agree with Tracker that  storage boxes can take up more room than they save so you have to use them to best advantage.

Tracker - 2012-06-10 4:11 PM

Sorry but I really can't see the point of using these Ikea boxes in drawers or in overhead lockers?

Our clothes all stay put in drawers or on shelves without any space being lost wasted because the boxes don't quite fit and I still think that small plastic containers of varying sizes that will stack because they have lids work best in overhead lockers!

Perhaps its because it is difficult to reach the items in the high-level cupboards and therefore if they are in a box it is very easy to take the box out, rummage through for what you want, and then put it back .... it looks like Kev's overhead lockers are quite high:

Kev's van

I use all sorts of things in our upper lockers none of which had shelves in as standard. I didn't want to start putting in 'permanent' shelves as what I want isn't necessarily what someone else would want (when we come to change vans) and also it means I can move things around as the whim takes me!!!

In one of the lockers above the table I have a chrome metal rack which is normally used in a kitchen cupboard to create a 2-tier space similar to the one in the picture below - this means that I can stack my larger pans on the top and put smaller items, pan lids etc underneath to make retrieving them easier. In the other one I have a similar 2-tier plastic coated metal rack which is ideal for slotting my plates, bowls etc into and putting my bread and cereals on top - I got it from a car boot sale so I'm not sure if you can get them now as it is quite old. Over the bed lockers have similar racks in which means that clothes are split into 'upper' and 'lower' sections, so are much easier to retrieve as they are not all sat on top of each other and also don't crease.

In the front overhead locker (aka the glory hole!) I use various items, but for books and maps etc I have some strong plastic baskets (from some 3-tier vegetable trolleys bought at a car boot sale), these nicely take our A4 maps, travel books, cameras & various bits of kit etc, and can be pushed to the rear of the locker and pulled forward to retrieve the relevant items as required. I also utilise various types of bags, for example our 'games' stuff (dominos, cards etc) are in an old first aid kit holdall.

Some of the best things we've bought though is some of the 'vacuum' storage bags - the ones you use a vacuum cleaner to suck the air out of - we bought them to put our motorhome bedding etc in over winter as they make it much easier to store in the house that way, but in fact we could leave them in the motorhome once sealed up as moisture couldn't get in to spoil them so meaning we didn't have to have them piled up in the house all winter. :-D

We then found out that you could get smaller 'roll-up' bags, similar to the vacuum cleaner type, but instead you 'roll' them to expel the air out of a 'gusset' at the bottom, they're mainly meant for people to put their clothes in for packing into suitcases but I use them in the motorhome and put spare towels, bedding etc in them, roll them up (you can get them quite small), and they go nicely into the corners of the overcab out of the way until we need them keeping the contents clean and dry. I also use these roll-up ones for dirty washing too which can be squished down and therefore not take up anything like the space it would normally (and it seals the smell from hubby's socks inside!!! :D ):

roll-up storage bags

1631219780_shelfrack.jpg.ed0bffdbd5507186acd661ed2fcfff2a.jpg

Guest Tracker

The packet of mixed nuts seems to sum up your van's contents nicely Mel!!

No wasted space in your cupboards then!!

Archived