Cadec chef Vs Weber BBQ

sean.clarke

Hi,

Do any of you guys (and gals) have a Cadec? We can't seem to decide on whether to get a Webber portable gas BBQ or a gas Cadec chef.

Now, at home we BBQ a lot, and I mean a lot, so what bothers me is does the Cadec truly BBQ? looking at it there appears to be a hot plate and gas arrangement under the "BBQ" plate .

How easy are they to clean? the Weber has a pull out (and disposable or washable) drip tray, the Cadec appears to just fall and collect onto the bottom plate.

Also, do you really use all the "optional" bits?

Guest JudgeMental
we have the smaller cadec safari? I think......got it last year when we downsized to panel van. it is excellent and very easy to clean, and no burnt food!

We have had our Cadec about 13 years and I would say its not got that BBQ taste (thats why I like it) it is the sort that screws onto a gaz bottle. ours only has one plate with it flat on one side and a griddle on the other. And as for cleaning you need a good size sink.

We have a Safari Chef suitable for a couple and particularily suited to panel vans due to compact size. Very easy to keep clean, no smell when packed up, which tends to follow a conventional bareque. If you are looking for the true barbeque taste probably not the one for you.

Interesting.... does the food taste just like it came out of a normal oven? We frequently have breakfast bacon etc. from the BBQ at weekend, on the occasions we use our oven the difference is startling....

I like the idea - I like the versatility of the different pans etc. do you just use the grill pan or experiment with the extra bits?

We have one of these and think it's great:

gas bbq

It runs off the 'aerosol' type gas cannisters and can be used as a stove as well as a bbq/grill and comes in it's own hard plastic carry case that doubles up as a small windbreak. As the cooking area is rectangular and the burner a 'U' shape you get a very good spread of heat and very good control so can have it very high, or very low, or anywhere in between. We have tried various types of bbqs and this one definitely gives the 'proper' bbq taste to the food - it's absolutely scrumtious! Note that there is a similar version but the cooking area is 'square' rather than rectangular, so there is less room for cooking the food. As well as cooking the meat we can also do some veg and/or reheat some small jacket sputs (cut in half) which come out lovely and crispy. :D We also have a square ribbed griddle pan so can use that on the bbq if we want, rather than the bbq 'bars' - we find it useful when doing meat to start it off in the griddle pan on top of the bbq first to get some of the fat out and then transfer the meat to the bbq bars - it turns out lovely and tasty and the bbq doesn't get covered in fat. :-D

One othe thing we like is that it is totally independent so it means we don't have to have a gas point on the MH to attach it to.

We also have a Cadac Safari Chef LP Deluxe (unused) but the cooking area on it is smaller than the 'aerosol' one so we have decided to stick with the 'aerosol' one so are going to be selling the Safari! We did manage to get an extra regulator for the Safari though that also allows the use of small type cannisters as well as the normal gas cylinders/gas point, but even so we still prefer the 'aerosol' bbq so will be sticking with it.

Guest JudgeMental
sean.clarke - 2012-06-11 8:24 PM

Thanks Eddie - and when you BBQ, does the food taste proper BBQ'd? (if you get what I mean)?

I cant imagine many being disappointed with the results, but I only ever use gas bbq's. it has a very versatile set of cooking surfaces. as for bbq taste it depends on how you season your food I guess..but more then acceptable. In Spain we used the lid for cooking langoustines in butter and garlic and lemon...yum yum

I was skeptical but very pleased with it....

We have a Safari Cheff too and find it excellent. As said previous, it cleans up really well and it also stores away well in its bag. I use a Castey Plancher on it to cook breakfast which is bigger than the griddle supplied. When bbqing I use the griddle. Definately a good buy.

We've had one of these Coleman two-burner "Dual Fuel" petrol stove thingies for 10 years plus now, and I absolutely love it for outdoor cooking, using either saucepan, frying pan; or BBQing using a griddle plate on the burner/s.

No mess, no fuss, uses utterly tiny amounts of unleaded petrol (a fuel which is readily available in all countries), packs away into a tiny "briefase" in about 10 seconds, you can sit it on any table, totally independent of gas pipes, van supply; and utterly bullet-proof reliability even in gale force winds.

You can also of course use it at home for al fresco cooking/BBQing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COLEMAN-DUEL-FUEL-DOUBLE-BURNER-PETROL-STOVE-FISHING-CAMPING-BNIB-/270987053636?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Camping_CookingSupplies_ET&hash=item3f18164a44#ht_5447wt_698

Very highly recommended indeed.

:-D

Would strongly recommend the CadAc (not Cadec :) ) Carri Chef. We have had one for seven years and it has been reliable, has not broken, is easy to clean and cooks really well. Better still the pieces store in their bags provided (which have not ripped or broken). We store it all in a Sainsbury's blue plastic box in our MH garage. We have also bought the Skottle unit and even that goes into the box as well.

Don't bother buying the lid unless you get it as part of a discounted package - it's bulky and I've rarely seen anyone using it.

One tip - keep all the inter unit cardboard packing for use when in the bags - stops it rattling or rubbing in transit.

I have never used the chrome plated pot stand/BBQ supplied with our unit, we usually use the two sided grill unit which is still non stick after 7 years.

We also use the Cadac spray cleaner which is a bit evil (usually warn others in the wash up area before spraying!) but very effective when using washing up liquid after the spray.

As for cooking the main point about the Cadac grill is that it is cooking on a hot plate rather than over a BBQ grid. The Skottle pan is even more like the South African original as it is dished, makes a great paella. I think we get the 'BBQ taste' even using the grill plate but obviously not on the Skottle. The limited hot fat smell is also beneficial to your neighbours - how many times have you been choked with driftng BBQ smoke!

Lots of deals out there for the Cadac range - especially at both ends of the season.

We use a Cadac Safari Chef in the motorhome - fits easily into a small space and is quickly ready for action. Now to the important bit, the taste. To me, yes, food definitely has that barbecue flavour when you use the grill rack. Equally importantly, it's easier to control than charcoal, and has the added versatility of a griddle (for fabulous steaks, lamb chops etc) which flips over to become a frying pan for bacon and eggs. The lid is handy when grilling as it keeps the flare-ups down and helps things to cook thoroughly without burning.

Having been a life-long charcoal fan and Webber enthusiast, the Safari Chef has definitely helped me to change my mind and is one of our most-used accessories in the motorhome. Also use it at home when there's just the two of us, although it will cope with a meal for four or perhaps more at a pinch so long as they don't mind eating in stages (ie banger course, followed by steaks/chops etc). I almost forgot, you can boil a pan on it too, although I never have, and the lid also makes a handy wok when turned upside down.

The big advantage of the Cadac safari chef is that not only can you use the flat plate as a frying pan, turn it over for a griddle, put the grid on for BBQ, use the lid as a Wok we also bought the oven pan which you use with the lid to make an oven.

The whole thing is easy to clean, the one minor faultis that it is on short legs. I have made 3 extended legs from Aluminium tubing to bring it up to a nice working height.

We also use it at home on a remote gas cylinder.

Hi Sean,

I'm going to put the cat amongst the pigeons now, have you looked at a Beauclaire?

We have had a 'Family Light' with Aluminium griddle for the best part of 10 years and swear by it.

It cooks the best bacon and eggs we have ever eaten and as for steaks, they are to die for. In fact it is so good we regularly use it at home instead of the gas BBQ!

OK it does not have a grid but the big advantage is you do not burn the food or have to contend with flare ups.

It is probably the best camping accessory we have ever bought!

Keith.

Guest pelmetman

As a stick in the mud traditionalist :D.............this thread should be renamed outside gas cookers ;-)........

The heathens have no respect *-).............BBQ?......by?........Gas???........spit... on my roast *-)

Ah Pelmetman you're so right, but even I, as a diehard charcoal enthusiast, have to admit that the Safari Chef is just so much more convenient with a motorhome. We used to take a collapsible charcoal BBQ with us, but it became such a faff having to clean out and dispose of the ashes every time we moved on.

To be honest, the food tastes just the same with either method - particularly when using the grill - and the only real downside to the Safari Chef is that you lose that 20-30 minutes of drinking time while sitting back and waiting for the coals to go grey.

• 2 weeks later...
BGD - 2012-06-12 10:00 AM

We've had one of these Coleman two-burner "Dual Fuel" petrol stove thingies for 10 years plus now, and I absolutely love it for outdoor cooking, using either saucepan, frying pan; or BBQing using a griddle plate on the burner/s.

Guess what we picked up at a car boot sale this morning for £10!!!!! :-D It still had some petrol in it and works a treat. :->

Mel B - 2012-06-27 9:18 PM

BGD - 2012-06-12 10:00 AM

Guess what we picked up at a car boot sale this morning for £10!!!!! :-D It still had some petrol in it and works a treat. :->

A car boot sale on a Wednesday? I definately need to get out more!

Archived