Mosquitoes in UK

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

Anyone having problems with mosquitoes in parts of the UK?

We had a garden party last weekend for daughters 21st and the weather held out fortunately! But I was bitten alive by mozzies. I noticed them indoors as could hear the distinctive sound... I have sprayed the whole house. It seems the as The UK is turning into a damp and wet land a bit like Louisiana this threat is on the increase....

Guest Tracker

Probably a by product of climate change - as the UK gets warmer and wetter mozzies will probably thrive and find us more to their liking than cattle!

None here in Norfolk - yet!

Guest JudgeMental
before I retired and worked on london underground we had a real problem with them . as certain areas would become infested with clouds of them and would have to be fumigated, then left for days before we could let anyone work in there.... I did a google search and lots of stuff and they are gaining a foothold here because of the rain and changing conditions *-)

Guest JudgeMental

Yes they do but maybe the liquid ones better then tablet..less messing about.

The plug in Blue lights that attract and zaps them, also good..under a tenner fron Lidl when on offer.

never though I would need them here! *-)

Guest pelmetman
sean.clarke - 2012-06-18 8:28 PM

flicka - 2012-06-18 8:13 PM

We came across the blighters last year.

We now put the Mozzie Killer in the Van (the type you put the tablets in.) but it's only useful on EHU. Not yet a big enough problem to purchase an Inverter.

http://www.firstaid4travel.co.uk/shop/info_TRV0102a.html

Do they really work Flicka?

Yes they do work ;-).............but not until they've bitten you 8-)....................We were sold one at Kielder water years ago when we booked in...........didn't quite understand why until later >:-( ...........went to bed......hot night left the skylight open over the bed............woke up in the morning with a neat square of bites on my belly where the blighters came through the skylight had a bite then snuffed it *-)........

Unless they got food poisoning (lol) (lol) (lol)

And 2 other things to try...

Avon Skin So Soft moisturising cream, yes the doorbell calling stuff. And it really does work.

And secondly 'Bug Bands', we got ours from 118 Golf. and again they are brilliant.

These are the only things the OH has found which stop her being eaten alive.

Keith.

We keep a mozie machine in the van as I hate them. Citronela candles keep them out, we keep them in the van too. We used to live in Gibraltar and had a machine on at all times. The high pitched sound you hear at night in bed is them struggling to take off when full of blood. You know then that you have been bitten and wait for the itching to start.

Mozzies thrive in wet or damp areas, try to avoid having a dripping tap or hose pipe in the garden as they lay their eggs in puddles etc.

Sean

e ahve used them for years & although we can't say we haven't been bitten, we have only had one or two bites when others have been covered, including very delicate areas.

The difficulty in determining their effectiveness is that some people appear to attract Mozzies whilst others naturally repel them. Don't know which category we are in, but for a few quid not worth tempting the b**gers.

Also a tip regarding Scottish Midges - don't wear anything yellow, they take that as an open invitation, which must be responded to immediately.

:$ spelling

Aldi are selling mosquito 'bracelets' that you put back in the bag and they regenerate the repellant for £1.99

Don't know if they work as we don't go abroad until Thursday and it's too fresh, sunny & dry for mozzies here in Gods own Country-I'll let you know after the mrs has worn hers!

Mike

Guest JudgeMental
MattR - 2012-06-19 5:04 PM

Several of my UK mossie bites have become infected over the last 3 years - I've never had that problem before. Apparently, infected bites are becoming more common amongst others as well.

same here! large wounds on my legs..never had this before especially here. while mozzies abroad have been an irritant, a bit of bite ezee soothes them.. these have taken nearly a week to stop hurting

JudgeMental - 2012-06-19 5:38 PM

same here! large wounds on my legs..never had this before especially here. while mozzies abroad have been an irritant, a bit of bite ezee soothes them.. these have taken nearly a week to stop hurting

Wonder if they were bites from a horse fly, rather than a mosquito? They are buggars, and do itch for anything up to a week. :-(

Guest JudgeMental

I could here the pesky things flying around the bedroom...I know now from this thread that they were already full of my blood, hence the noise struggling to take of apparently!! *-) :-S

do you need horses nearby to get horse flys :'( (I live in London)

mikebeaches - 2012-06-20 5:45 PM

JudgeMental - 2012-06-19 5:38 PM

Wonder if they were bites from a horse fly, rather than a mosquito? They are buggars, and do itch for anything up to a week. :-(

Mine were def mozzie bites. When I have been bitten by horse flies before, it stings when bitten. The bites that have become infected don't hurt much on bite and start becoming infected after the scratching starts.

Interesting that your respondents have noticed that different areas have their own types of insect. It's true, and we noticed this on our last trip. But the one thing that gets the mossies is Mosquito Coils, any expedition equipment place should have them. They are a sort of clay which burns very slowly and they come with a free stand. Light one and put it where the air comes into the vehicle at night and you should, with minor experimentation, have few problems. They are spiral and usually green in colour.

Archived