TV Steady/restraint

IVAN

Having now bought our new Camper TV, I want to mount it. Before, we used to stow the TV up above and then put it on the table to watch. I now want to mount it to free up valuable space, but am concerned about it "breaking loose". I intend to mount it on a cantilever bracket so as my wife can swivel it whilst cooking. Does anybody know of anything on the market that can hold it all in place whilst travelling and especially under braking.I have looked on ebay to no avail,but maybe i am putting in the wrong search words. Regards...ivan :D

Ivan, we have a 22" TV mounted on a swivel bracket but the bracket is a detachable one, which detaches at the wall end not the TV end. So, we just slip the TV and bracket out of its holder and place the TV face down on the bed when travelling.

Takes just a minute to remount at the next destination and no unruly straps and things flapping about.

Guest Tracker

Cantilever brackets are one of those things you either love or hate!

They look cute on the packet but can take up a lot of space, bounce about a lot on the move and can restrict your own use of seating so having once used one we prefer a more solid 'fixed to the wall' approach for the TV/DVD player.

Sometimes the amount of space they need to get the right viewing angle means the TV sticks out a long way which is not always convenient?

I also usually add a narrow cabinet or wooden cover to hide the TV from prying eyes when the van is unoccupied but this can only generally be done when the TV is wall mounted with enough space either side to allow - and then you have to store the cover somewhere when the TV is in use! Can't win!

We only watch TV in the evening or when lounging feet up and there is nowt else to do and certainly not whilst cooking so perhaps our use is untypical these days and for that a swivel might be your only answer?

I typed 'TV swivel mount' into Google and lots of 'em appeared right before my very eyes?

Hi, thanks for the replies. The swivel mount is what we want,but, it's keeping it secure on the move.I like the idea of the removable mount and have seen those.It may be the answer. I will do a bit more homework.... :D

Guest pelmetman
I mounted ours on a swivel bracket, and modified a padded panel to accommodate the bracket and just use a bungee to keep it in place when traveling...........works fine :D

DSCN2155web.jpg.9ee220db67d56ca15b346a885ff1f01d.jpg

Mine is on a swivel mount and can be detached but then all the connections have to be undone and re-done. The latter is the most difficult as there is not a lot of room behind. I stand the Sky H box on a piece of that no-slip material (do this with all my glassware too and they never move or fall over either) and then I wedge this under the TV. When wedged it cannot swing about and seems very safe.

PS Forgot to say that I bought the bracket from Morrisons very cheaply - sure it was about £5 and very sturdy it is too.

I fitted our 3 leg cantilever bracket which does detach but i just tighten it all up and its as steady as you like Doesnt move at all when under way. Was 30 quid ish from Stewart longton caravans. Will post a link tomorow

Hi Ivan,

this is how i did it ( i`m sure fault will be found somehow )

the TV is on a swing out fully adjustable tilt bracket ( B & Q )

It`s a shoulder strap off a holdall, fully adjustable and with

quick release hooks on each end.

I also used 2 ring hooks 1 at the top and 1 at the bottom.

You can adjust the strap as tight or as slack as you like.

I used this for a while and it`s never moved in 28,000 miles !

Total cost less that £1 as i already had the strap.

Regards

Graham.

002.jpg.916a88a689c59694b86465577caa0ddd.jpg

I am not convinced any swivel detachable bracket will hold the TV in the event of an accident. Any impact forces (front, side or rear) could mean the bracket with the TV jumping out of their drop-in mounting.

Best, IMHO to take the TV with it's swivel arm, out of the mounting & securely store elsewhere for travelling.

These are detachable & take up minimal space.

http://www.aerialshack.com/vision-pluslcd-wall-bracket-single-black-p-1211.html

They also do Double & Treble Arm models

I agree with pepe63 and flicka, I do not like the tv on its bracket when on the move for the reasons they give so we keep ours on a flat cushion on the base of the wardrobe face down. I think it would be quite heavy for the bracket to take all the pot holes and rough roads that are about. Its also out of site. Good advice though from every one and some good idea's.

suntrecker1 - 2012-06-21 8:27 AM

I agree with pepe63 and flicka, I do not like the tv on its bracket when on the move for the reasons they give so we keep ours on a flat cushion on the base of the wardrobe face down. I think it would be quite heavy for the bracket to take all the pot holes and rough roads that are about. Its also out of site. Good advice though from every one and some good idea's.

My bracket will take up to a 32" TV and is fixed to the bulkhead

and it is permanently fixed using 10mm coachbolts that go all the way

through and they have large diameter washers to spread the load

so the 15" Avtex should be OK .

P.S. I`ve found the receipt for the bracket and it was on offer at B & Q and

priced at £19.99.

Thanks everybody for your input. I am now a lot wiser and have decided to go with the removable mount that leaves the remainder of the fitting on the wall and remove the tv whilst travelling. :D

IVAN - 2012-06-21 3:39 PM

Thanks everybody for your input. I am now a lot wiser and have decided to go with the removable mount that leaves the remainder of the fitting on the wall and remove the tv whilst travelling. :D

And then have a look at Bags for Everything for a padded bag to store it safely while travelling.

We bought one at the Peterborough show and are really impressed with it.

Keith.

suntrecker1 - 2012-06-21 8:27 AM

Ment to say 'out off sight' Must have camp sites on my brain :$ :$

IVAN - 2012-06-21 3:39 PM

That's what we do. Only takes a few seconds to put it back on and plug the two leads in.

Ivan - Another solution which allows you to fix the TV to the wall and know that it is safe in transit is to use this unit supplied by Pioneer Leisure. http://www.pioneer-leisure.co.uk/Standard-and-LCD-TV-Fitting-Brackets/Manual-Lateral-LCD-TV-Bracket

Not cheap admittedly. We have one because it came installed as part of the purchase package from Adria. It works a treat and is very solid in transit and in use. However - you do have to have a suitable bit of wall to fix it to that is in a good viewing position. We have both so are very happy with our set up. I've mounted a 21 inch LCD TV on it which is well within its weight limit. The other half also uses it to hang her kitchen apron on - so win/win!!

Archived