Which marque (late 80's) Motorhome

aston

Right, I am resurrecting this post, The same question applies, My studies are all over the place, Which van for under £5k, Before I go to far from what I read, Mercedes and Ford (Transit) are the best bet for a cab and chassis, Auto Sleepers, Rapido, and some other German brands come highly recommended.

I just don't know, funny as I am usually very focused, what do you recommend and advise staying away from, Sure at this age it all depends on the merits of the individual van but there must be some good recommendations, MPG is important as with some figures quoted it would be cheaper to use hotels than to drive the van. (Yeah I know I'll never see 40mpg but 25+ is ok) Thanks again

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
There was a cracking Travelhome for sale on the CC website for if I recall correctly £3995.......don't know if its still avaiable :-S

One of the best vans we had was an Eriba Car on a Renault Trafic.The base vehicle has no rust issues like theTalbot but the 1700 petrol we had was under powered.The van looks fab and the body is constructed like the caravans of mild steel frame covered in ally,no wood rot to worry about. Apart from the power , which is not really an issue with a classic.the only thing to worry us was the weak subframe supporting the rear overhang.

Also they were built in France by HYMER.

http://www.rtmr.org/Eriba.htm

Guest JudgeMental
aston - 2013-01-24 9:13 PM

Right, I am resurrecting this post,

zZzzzZ.........ZZZzzzzzzzz......zZZZzzzzz..........zzzzzZZZ

Look, you have 5k to spend.

Don't wish to sound harsh BUT - Choice or preference is not really an option with that budget is it?

Why discount Fiat or Talbot if you can find a good one? I've drive Fords all my life but I would run a mile from a 20 year old Transit, unless it's been well looked after.

You seem to be missing the point. Just buy the best you can - there are still good 'honest' vans out there for that money, I know I bought one last year, LHD [not ideal] but a real minter, and better build quality than my new van if I'm being honest.

I know when I move it on in a month or two I'll get my money back and some probably - stick with a reputable make and you should be OK.

If I was looking I might be wary of some brits built in the 80's or 90's, because frankly they were structurally crap, I know I owned a few!

Reduce your budget to £4,900 and spend £100 on a damp meter.

I actually looked at the Hobby 600 1987 this afternoon, seems a very straight tidy vehicle, some rust starting on the scuttle panel and a pillar but otherwise sound, Very clean interior, 100k miles all dry and all new upholstery and curtains, asking £4500 with a new MOT and electrical problems sorted. is this about right for this van? Any ideas Thanks

You've been over it with a DM then?

LHD I'm guessing - NA or Turbo Diesel? 1.9 or a 2.5? PAS?

Check that scuttle - major [normally] screen out repair.

If you're not looking for the best for your money and have your heart set on a specific model then that's your call.

I think you've had good advce from all on here - utilise that free knowledge, or disregarded it.

globebuster - 2013-01-26 9:48 PM

You've been over it with a DM then?

LHD I'm guessing - NA or Turbo Diesel? 1.9 or a 2.5? PAS?

Check that scuttle - major [normally] screen out repair.

If you're not looking for the best for your money and have your heart set on a specific model then that's your call.

I think you've had good advce from all on here - utilise that free knowledge, or disregarded it.

Yes I purchased a damp meter this morning and went over anywhere which looked like a likely damp spot, nothing at all, yes LHD No problem for me as i'm looking for sunshine, 2.5 (why do you ask) Scuttle has a little bubbling but nothing same on A pillar as I said before. I thought it was a reasonable price until I just looked here http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/CaravanClubApps/Applications/caravan-classifieds/details.aspx?id=539450&page=1 A scam I think like some others on the caravan club site, What do you think?

A scam alright - there are dozens out there Ebay, Gumtree you name it.

I have some first-hand experience of this sort of thing

Hobby are good vans, still say that was top money though.

Keep an eye out - my Hymer will be on ebay in a few weeks if you're not sorted by then.

I have a friend looking for something like a hymer, pm me the details please, where is it (IN Cornwall?), what base vehicle , age, mileage etc. Thank you (I'm in no hurry, have been looking on and off for 2 years now and can wait another two) I checked the usual places every day for over a year and as a consequence got a feel for what was good and what was a decent price and this hobby seems and feels like a reasonable van, Why are you selling your Hymer ? Thanks

Been looking for two years and can wait another two - Obviously not too serious about buying one then!

With all that knowledge you must have gleaned - you should be advising this forum, not asking the same old questions!

:->

My Hymers a CB not an A class

I've Upgraded

Go buy the Hobby and enjoy it.

globebuster - 2013-01-26 11:14 PM

Been looking for two years and can wait another two - Obviously not too serious about buying one then!

With all that knowledge you must have gleaned - you should be advising this forum, not asking the same old questions!

:->

My Hymers a CB not an A class

I've Upgraded

Go buy the Hobby and enjoy it.

Well TBH if it were a car i'd tell you to go and buy a Mondeo as a family car or a 911 air-cooled as a toy or possibly a pug 205 or clio 172 if you don't have cash, Cars seem so clean cut but the motor-home thing is so crazy, so many diversions, prices are everywhere but generally overpriced, quality seems low, and it seems a 50k motorhome does no more than a £4k motorhome hence all the questions, it's a lot of money so it needs to be the right decision. From the heart for all that money and upkeep really I think it's probably better to leave the money in the bank and use a tent now and again a few hotels/bb's and flights etc, especially with the cost of fuel, For example, one could have a lot flights and accommodation for £5k. But hey why not blow the lot on a thirsty RV and suffer the upkeep later blah blah blah or a nice 964 911 (in grey)...I digress Good night

Your last sentence says it all - and I am right, you really have missed the point - FREEDOM!

Go and blow your cash on a good holiday - or a few cheap ones! rather than exploring the world in your own time, in your own way and stopping when and where the mood takes you.

Here's my handy hint of the day -

Go Outdoors have always got a sale on - So there's a cheap tent sorted!

Go on the Camping Forum instead

aston - 2013-01-26 9:38 PM

I actually looked at the Hobby 600 1987 this afternoon, seems a very straight tidy vehicle, some rust starting on the scuttle panel and a pillar but otherwise sound, Very clean interior, 100k miles all dry and all new upholstery and curtains, asking £4500 with a new MOT and electrical problems sorted. is this about right for this van? Any ideas Thanks

The Scuttle panel and the A pillar, are the hardest rust problems to correct 'properly', they can be 'botched' with filler, but it's the start of a 'terminal slope'. depends how long you expect it to last ? I rebuilt a 1988 Talbot Cab a few years ago. Ray

globebuster - 2013-01-26 10:20 PM

...Hobby are good vans, still say that was top money though...

I would have thought that £4500 was a reasonable initial asking-price.

If aston's requirements are still for a sub-£5k low-profile coachbuilt motorhome, I can't think of any other than the Le Sharo (already rejected) or an early Hobby.

The logical £4k-£5k choice is probably a Bedford-based Auto-Sleepers Clubman. The GRP monocoque bodywork minimises the likelihood of serious water-ingress damage and it's generally perceived as being a true 'classic'. But it's not a low-profile design and the petrol engine's fuel consumption will be high.

Best for aston to stick with his current VW-based panel-van conversion I think (and to keep well clear of cheap Porche 964s).

Take a look at some of these. They came in various lengths and arrangements.

http://asset02.scoot.co.uk/O/8/20120515220230e77d57d264265f825b12796c9997498b.jpg

They were built on the pre Spinter Mercedes Benz RWD chsssis. The bodies seem near indistructable and the spares are still available. The chassis is box section pressed steel that can rust but is easily inspected.

I saw one once with an incredible spec. 2.9 Td,Auto box, ABS, limited slip diff, and air con.

Remember though that a lot of German cities are now low emission zones and the older the vehicle the worse the emissions. I am not sure of the full implications but check it out before laying out the hard earned.

Thanks Mike, I'll have to learn what FREEDOM is, I Have a tent and a few holiday homes abroad and also had campers for near 25 years so I'm missing something apparently , Judgemental you come across as a small dick spineless prick who hides behind the anonymity of the net.but I guess we'd probably get on in real life "try it sometime!".

Derek, I did look at a Le Sharo, awful however I shall probably make an offer on the hobby but not the asking price so we'll see what happens there. As for the 911, I am more than aware to the pitfalls of buying the wrong car especially at my chosen budget but again there is no rush . Thanks all,

Guest JudgeMental
aston - 2013-01-27 8:10 PM

Thanks Mike, I'll have to learn what FREEDOM is, I Have a tent and a few holiday homes abroad and also had campers for near 25 years so I'm missing something apparently , Judgemental you come across as a small dick spineless prick who hides behind the anonymity of the net.but I guess we'd probably get on in real life "try it sometime!".,

Ha..ha ha....Really? I'll pm you my address and you can TRY saying that to my face, you time wasting moronic cretin....

• 1 year later...

Archived