Scooters and Motorcycles .... at Tesco!!!

Mel B

I know some people have asked on occasion about what scooters/motorcycles to get to use with their motorhomes, but I wonder how many of you know that Tesco actually sell them! 8-)

I've just found them by accident on Tesco Direct ... it makes me wonder what they'll start selling next!!! *-)

The 50cc scooter has a dry weight of only 80kg ....

http://www.tesco.com/direct/diy-car/scooters/cat3376564.cat

Mel B - 2012-07-04 9:56 PM

I know some people have asked on occasion about what scooters/motorcycles to get to use with their motorhomes, but I wonder how many of you know that Tesco actually sell them! 8-)

I've just found them by accident on Tesco Direct ... it makes me wonder what they'll start selling next!!! *-)

The 50cc scooter has a dry weight of only 80kg ....

http://www.tesco.com/direct/diy-car/scooters/cat3376564.cat

Worcester Boilers!!

A chap at work has a chinese 125 scooter. He paid £1200 (new) or therebouts for it. So far, the starter stopped working, then the spark plug kept flying out somehow and now he has a new chinese exhaust on it.

It seems to work most of the time, but I think he views it as a disposable item, which with some of the problems seems sensible.

Think you get what you pay for. :-D

They are Ok, if not used to often, or in anger. 
Parts may be an issue in the future,,,but who knows,,,most things nowadays are dispensable anyway, The old engines are not that bad ,but yes Q.C .sometimes is not good.But good enough if you are only using them occasionally.
Regards,
Brendan

Usual rule applies doesn't it, pay yer money take yer choice.

The bike in the link is one I did some research into earlier in the year. My circumstances have changed so the bike didn't go ahead but I found these on the web, with helmet, waterproofs and gloves for £550.

That was on the road with 12 months warranty, an extra £50 for 2 year warranty. £600 for a brand new bike with 2 year warranty - not a lot of dosh. Whether it's a pile of crap is of course up to you and your budget.

http://www.chinesemotorcycledealers.co.uk/BT49QT-9.php

Martyn

The reason these things are on sale in Tesco's is because they are made of cheese.

Utter junk, built down to a rock-bottom price using appalling spec materials, engineered to "that'll be near enough" standards, in Chinese sweatshops.

You really do get what you pay for with these things.

My advice would be to avoid them like the plague.

If you're strapped for cash but want a scoot that actually goes, stops, is reliable in rain, still works after the first 100 miles, and doesn't fall apart within months, just get a second-hand one that was made by a real Company like Honda etc.

Good point,
Have a look at the Honda S Wing 125,,,,,will tour like a big bike with two up.
But if you want something light,and for use only now and again,not for everyday use ,
They are OK,
True ,you pay your money and take your chances.
Regards,
Brendan

As an example of what great deals you can get in the secondhand market, here's a corking, utterly bulletproof, proper Honda Innova 125 cc scooter on ebay for just 500 squids. There are are others too on ebay for around the same money.

They are brilliant, simple to ride and self-maintain scooters, capable of two-up cruising at 60mph, and at only about 107kgs wet weight they are ideal for a motorhome rear rack.

We've had ours for about 2 years now and have put over 14,000 totally trouble-free kms on it. Total fun!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-125-ANF-INNOVA-2003-NO-RESERVE-/330758232729?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item4d02ba1a99#ht_500wt_949

onecal - 2012-07-06 4:44 PM

Good point,

Have a look at the Honda S Wing 125,,,,,will tour like a big bike with two up.
But if you want something light,and for use only now and again,not for everyday use ,
They are OK,
True ,you pay your money and take your chances.
Regards,
Brendan

Brendan, we are talking about scooters for the back of motorhomes here not for riding to work every day. The Honda S Wing is a big bulky thing totally unsuitable and because of its weight it does not in fact go all that well. The Innova while not as comfortable is much better for a van and will perform as well as the S wing. Even better is the new Honda Vision which is under £2000 new and weighs 100kg.

Hi.
Fair enough, yes we are ,I know quite a few who use the S wing with their Motorhomes, Yes heavy because water cooled , but bullet proof, some in Paris have 150,000Klms on them without any problems ,All depends what you want, I did say if you want your little Chinese copies  ,they can be fine too provided they are not used everyday,
Regards,
Brendan

Archived