Motorhomes with rear bathroom

Tony Norton

Hi all,

we started motorhoming just over 10 years ago, starting with a Bessacar E795 and then an Autotrail Dakota. In 2009 I got fed up with not having transport when I was on site unless I was prepared to take down the safari room and pack everything away just to go out for a day, which I wasn't, so we decided to try caravanning. Bought a new Swift Cardinal and a suitable towcar, which solved the problem of transport for days/evenings out but reckoned, after 2 seasons that having this facility didn't compensate for the aggravation involved in preparing to leave, towing and setting up on site, so we've sold it and gone back to motorhoming.

What the caravan did do, however, was totally spoil us in the shower/bathroom department. It had a massive bathroom across the back, with separate shower cubicle, clothes and towel storage etc. We had obviously forgotten the crappy little confined space that passes as a shower on most motorhomes, typically our current Drifter 410.

Question is, how many models are there with what is described as a "rear bathroom". We know about the Autotrail Mohican and the Compass 460RB, but are there any others? We would consider UK and Continental builds but are not interested spending £50K or £60K, if we had that kind of money we probably wouldn't be motorhoming at all.

No, second (or 3rd, 4th or 5th) hand, round about 10 years old, is the range we are now looking at. What is there out there that would fit this description?

Any suggestions would be most welcome. If anyone has one such that they are looking to sell, and are not based 500 odd miles from the south coast, I would be interested in discussing a purchase.

Thanks in advance.

Tony Norton

Guest JudgeMental

They have never been that popular as the restrictions they place on layout. Also that is a heck of a lot of weight right out back behind rear axle where you honestly dont want it....Handling etc.. probably compromised. That is my take on it, other will probably disagree :-D

Most would rather the space used for living area, as if paying for camp-sites may as well use the facilities

Guest pelmetman

I might be wrong....I usually am..... :D

10 years old with end bathroom might be a struggle, as I thing they're a pretty recent innovation in coachbuilts, although they have been around in PVC guise for longer :-S

Burstner Elegance I591 has a brilliant bathroom, I've certainly found some 2004 models (there may be earlier ones too) but I'm not sure if that would be the price you're looking to pay or meet your needs.

It would help to give more advice if we had an idea of your actual budget. :-D

We bought a Chausson Welcome 76 which has a superb rear bathroom behind a very comfortable large double bed. It has loads of storage space in the bathroom and a large shower cubicle as well as plenty of floor space around the toilet and washbasin the is the best thing about a rear bathroom. There is no problem with handling as you dont need to store stuff in the bathroom as there is also plenty of underbed storage. Bathroom furniture does not weigh that much anyway. Ours is a 2010 model the year they stopped making that model but they have been around a few years earlier that that and as Chaussons are not the most expensive vans in the first place you might find one within your budget. We love this layout and it would be difficult for us to live with anything else now.

There was at least one Hymer B class from around 2004/5 that had a full width rear washroom that was impressively large. For ease of day trips, the obvious choice is smaller, not larger, and that Hymer was not excessively large, I think in the region of only 6 metres long, if someone can identify it. Good lounge area, fair kitchen, good storage, drop down bed, and an excellent washroom.

Tony Norton - 2012-07-15 3:09 PM

Question is, how many models are there with what is described as a "rear bathroom". We know about the Autotrail Mohican and the Compass 460RB, but are there any others? We would consider UK and Continental builds but are not interested spending £50K or £60K, if we had that kind of money we probably wouldn't be motorhoming at all.

Tony,

How about an AT Cheyenne 635 of circa 2004 vintage?

Here is the description from the 2004 brochure...

"Cheyenne 635 - Modelled on our record-breaking Mohican,

the 635 has a classy dressing room at the rear, with wardrobe,

toilet, shower and vanity unit all included. A central kitchen

keeps the cooking away from the comfortable forward lounge."

They typically go for between £25k and £30k so pretty much in budget and at only 6.5 m long are very manoeuvrable and easy to park in most car parks.

If you want something that bit bit extra then try looking for one on the Merc chassis, then you'll get all the advantages of rear wheel drive as well.

Keith.

Guest Tracker

Autocruise Starlet 2 is a Marquis edition of the Starburst and the layout works well as does the LWB Alko chassis on which it resides.

This gives far superior ride and handling to the standard chassis - but at the expense of a big turning circle and potentially low ground clearance although neither is a problem once you get used to it!

We have an Autocruise Starburst (Marquis Starlet 2) and we love it but it is only a 2 berth. Has the shower room/toilet across the back. The centre bed can be a large double or two singles. As it is on an Alco chassis the payload is very good, with the 2.8 engine it is nearly 700kg and handles very well on the road.

One possible problem is that it has a diesel hot water/heating system which works very well but is a tad noisy. Does mean if you go abroad you can go for several months on the two seven kg gas bottles for cooking. They were being produced from 2006 (our model) but came out the following year with the new Peugeot Boxer cab, much more efficient engines and I believe the heating system reverted to gas. At the time it was also produced by Autocruise as the Pioneer Monet but that was dropped when swift took over Autocruise. Bad news for Autocruise owners, after sales service now crap.

Hello Tony,

We have a year 2000 Bessacarr E605. It has an end "bathroom" . Comprising of a decent shower. bog and washbasin, all of which can be used without wriggling around either of each or both of the other facilities. The rest of the van is ok (for us anyway). Fridge/freezer, decent galley. Bed is transverse double, but can also use seating as two singles by incorporating front seats - remarkably comfortable for a bodge job. It has "luton overhead double" that we use for storage. I could go on, but as they say one mans meat etc.

There was probably a Swift equivalent too. So, keep looking, they are out there. :-D

Brian Kirby - 2012-07-15 5:07 PM

There was at least one Hymer B class from around 2004/5 that had a full width rear washroom that was impressively large. For ease of day trips, the obvious choice is smaller, not larger, and that Hymer was not excessively large, I think in the region of only 6 metres long, if someone can identify it. Good lounge area, fair kitchen, good storage, drop down bed, and an excellent washroom.

Sorry to quote me, but that Hymer was the B564 (B Class, not B Classic). In production from late '90s to early 00s. Definitely around in 2003, as it is catalogued for that year. Quite a few for sale from various years.

Mrs T - 2012-07-20 10:21 PM

Mr T says he's never been keen on bathrooms. 25 years in HM forces taught him to live and survive very healthily and wash in half a bucket of water every four days.

(Spoken for Mr T)

Must be a BIG bucket!!! :D

Tony Norton - 2012-07-15 3:09 PM

Thanks in advance.

Tony Norton

Hi Tony

Forgot to add, if there is a "Compass" model, there is also an "Elddis" equivelant, as they all came out of the same Elddis factory. Compass brand has now been dropped.

We have a Burstner Delfin t700. Terrific rear bathroom with single beds, and dining area. On Renault Master with AlKo chassis. We love her and the ride is very comfortable.Prefer our bathroom to some sites we have stayed at!!

Archived