Road Tax

PJay

From 1 April 2012 the VED for a motorhome in the Private or light goods vehicles (PLG) Tax Class 11 (goods vehicles weighing no more than 3500kg) is

Engine capacity over 1549cc - £220 (12 months) or £121 (6 months)

Engine capacity not over 1549cc - £135 (12 months) or £74.25 (6 months)

There's a full listing here

http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/~/media/pdf/leaflets/v149.ashx

Earlier annual rates of VED for Tax Class 11 (Engine capacity over 1549cc) were:

From April 1 2005 - £170

From April 1 2006 - £175

From April 1 2007 - £180

From April 1 2008 - £185

From April 1 2009 - £190

From April 1 2010 - £205

From April 1 2011 - £215

Thanks Derek

So it is right. I thought thay had got it wrong, was a bit of a shock.

Have been thinking of SORN for the winter, but may use it in September, so will have to tax it for now, but may as well sorn it after, only problem is, will have to tax it in Feb, so as to get it MOT in March. I guess could be a problem with dates, as No MOT No Tax/No Tax unable to drive to MOT!!!

I taxed for 6 months last year, so as to change the date, which coincided with the MOT. Have to put thinking cap on!!

PJay

Hello everyone,

road tax increases, rail fare increases, club subs going up, what are we to do ? I 'm glad to be supporting HMG in its quest for prosperity, just think if we improve our national economy we can give more money away in foreign aid to all sorts of countries , including those which have entered the spave race and are nmaintaining a nuclear arsenal . Whats more all those Romanian immigrants that France is deporting can come here and receive generous welfare support.

I am so pleased I laboured for over 45 years (left school at 15) paying my tax and national insurance - what do you all think ?

What do I think?

We should pull out of the EU, what has it done for us? All the immigrants getting Jobs/Health service (Half the births are immigrants) BENEFITS . I could go on. What taxes have they paid into the system?

Rant over

PJay

You are right PJ ----- rant over ! Life will go on just the same when I am changing the sump oil in the great garage in the sky. Make hay while the sun shines, and as my chum, who is an undetaker by profession, always says to me, " remember bob, there are no pockets in shrouds " enjoy it now , blow the kids inheritance, before we end up in the land of the bewildered, dribbling down our chins. Bon voyage chums !

PJay - 2012-08-14 6:33 PM

Just received form to renew Road Tax on van. It is £220.00 . i thought it was £185 last year This seems to be a large increase. Is this correct?

PJay

You're lucky they don't tax motorhomes the same way they do cars, your road tax could be doubled. Complain too much and some bright spark is bound to change the taxing structure ;-)

David

PJay - 2012-08-14 6:58 PM

Thanks Derek

So it is right. I thought thay had got it wrong, was a bit of a shock.

Have been thinking of SORN for the winter, but may use it in September, so will have to tax it for now, but may as well sorn it after, only problem is, will have to tax it in Feb, so as to get it MOT in March. I guess could be a problem with dates, as No MOT No Tax/No Tax unable to drive to MOT!!!

I taxed for 6 months last year, so as to change the date, which coincided with the MOT. Have to put thinking cap on!!

PJay

Hi PJay,

I`ll think you`ll find that you " are allowed " to take a vehicle for a MOT even thought it isn`t

Taxed and MOT`d.

So long as you have " Pre-booked " and the test station has your details including the

registration number of the vehicle, you also have to take a direct route there and back

then everything will be OK.

If you are still unsure give the local police station ( if you have one ).

Regards

Graham.

Keithl - 2012-08-14 9:27 PM

Pauline,

You should have got a MH with a MTPLM over 3,500 kg then the road tax is only £165, the same as it has been for at least 5 years now as the Government seem to have forgotten this tax band :-D

Keith.

Don't have licence for over 3500 Keith. (TOO OLD)

Wooie - 2012-08-14 8:18 PM

I think you`ll find that you " are allowed " to take a vehicle for a MOT even thought it isn`t

Taxed and MOT`d.

So long as you have " Pre-booked " and the test station has your details including the

registration number of the vehicle, you also have to take a direct route there and back

then everything will be OK.

That's correct.

You don't need Road Tax to take a vehicle for MOT but as the poster says, you are only allowed to drive it there and back.

As for the spiralling costs of Road Tax, consider moving to Poland. Their 'road tax' is in with fuel (which naturally is also much cheaper than ours), but they do have to pay vehicle insurance. A Polish chap I was talking to on a site was towing a caravan with a Renault Scenic. Insurance for the car cost him a whopping €100 (£78).............a year!

I used to run a 7.5t beaver tail lorry in my past job and the road tax was £165 we were paying more for Citroen Belingo vans with a 2.0 hdi engine! Never could understand the logic! Thought a 7.5 ton lorrt doing 12mpg was not environmently friendly but then it was never about the environment just how much money can be wrung out of individuals!

Guest pelmetman
lennyhb - 2012-08-15 8:49 AM

Clive - 2012-08-14 10:33 PM

Its daft!

Our 6.4 tonne tardis costs £165 (I just went outside to check) but today just paid £270 for my little 2 tonne 4X4.

C.

Cheap :D

Just got rid of my Sedona that was £460.

£220 for my two and a half litre 99 Rover Sterling :D

Iain Strachan - 2012-08-15 6:00 PM

Hi all, Its my understanding that there is no road tax in France, only requirement is for Insurance. I think too that they dont have an MOT test, unless you are selling the car then you have to have a road worthy certificate.

Cheers Iain

There is no road tax in France but when registering vehicles you pay a fee depending on the co2 emissions of the vehicle and this fee varies depending on which department you register the vehicle in.

HTH

Hi all, your right, we dont pay road tax, but we do paay for mot 62euros for two year coverage, and you have to pay a one off registration fee, 1.80 euros per year of age + a fee, but cant remember exact amount, but hey, insurance on my van is cheaper here and fuel is cheaper. Come on over, houses are cheaper, you could save a fortune and no ferry rip off.

Ian - situation here in Spain:-

Road Tax.

Doesn't exist. Instead every vehicle has to be registered at their local townhall, who charge an annual tax on your ownership ( "benefit") of that vehicle. The amount varies as each town hall has the power to set it's own annual fraction of the original value of the vehicle.

As an example, in our previous village I was paying about 40 euros per year for the "benefit" of owning my old 1992 motorhome. In this village I'm paying just under 100 euros....which is pretty expensive by average standards across Spain.

But then the money does NOT go to central Government but goes directly to our village town hall who then spends it back on the people in the village......street lights, roads swept every day, parks, communal swimming pool, bins emptied 6 nights a week etc.

MOT.

In Spain it's called "ITV". Only for vehicles over 4 years old, and then only every 2 years until the vehicle gets to 10 years old, then every year thereafter.

Cost varies depending on whether car or van, petrol or diesel, and also varies between ITV stations a bit....but about 70 euros perhaps on average.

Insurance costs are probably on a par with the UK, but every insurance policy here automatically includes Breakdown and Recovery cover, so maybe you're getting more for your premium payments.

But the big big saving, when you take a whole years motoring costs into account, compared to the UK, is fuel prices.

Maybe 1.30 to 1.40 euros per litre for diesel.

And because the roads are so much less congested, your mpg is generally significantly better, as you are almost never in stop-start traffic jams.

Archived