Autotrail reversing camera

Tracker

Our otherwise fine Cheyenne has a ridiculous 2.4" reversing camera built into the radio.

It is too far from the mirrors line of vision when reversing, too small and too far from eye level to be of value, the screen reflects light, it takes several seconds to come on when reverse is selected by which time I'm often back into first gear, and when it does come on it switches the radio on too which is quite disconcerting. Other than that the camera itself is fine!

Has anyone else experienced the same, and did you find a solution?

I could fit an all new proper system - expensive.

I could get a wireless system - inexpensive - but are they really any good?

Could I get a separate dash mounted screen and simply plug the camera into that instead.

To say that the wiring is convoluted and complex is an understatement!

.....you should be able to divert the camera output to a different monitor, but the ease of doing so will depend on the technical characteristics and method of installation of the existing kit.

The simple camera to head-unit connection will normally be one wire, a video feed. A second connection at the head-unit may exist (only if it doesn't auto-switch on sensing a signal on the video feed); a connection from the gearbox or reversing light feed to switch the monitor when reverse is connected.

(Twin cameras, or camera audio feed units will be somewhat more complicated than this).

It should be possible to unplug the one (or two) relevant connections from the back of the audio unit, and reconnect to a separate monitor, mounted elsewhere (though you may need extensions).

The following points will be relevant:

- any new monitor (and they can be bought very cheaply from eBay) should be compatible with the existing camera output format (PAL or NTSC). Many, but not all, are compatible with both, either by manual set-up or auto-sensing, but you need to check.

- you may need to extend the existing cables to reach the new monitor position, but (particularly for the video feed), spare cable tends to be coiled by the installer, and usually at the monitor end, so if you're lucky, you may have enough "slack" if you can find it.

- if your current head-unit auto-senses the video signal (i.e. it does not need a separate reversing sensor wire) then you may find it easier to get a new monitor that does the same (if not, then even on an auto-sensing installation, there will always be a "reversing" connection to the camera, that can often be "jumped" to switch the monitor as well).

- You'll need to find a power source for the monitor; on Canbus units this can sometimes be awkward; though less "integrated", some people choose to use a dash 12v socket.

I've just done something similar on my 'van, replacing the Travelpilot Satnav (which doubled as a reversing camera monitor) with a head-unit (albeit with a somewhat bigger display than you describe). I retained the existing camera, and all work was done at the dash end (and I had to provide the additional reversing feed to the new head-unit, as the original was auto-sensing).

This took some time, as I had to remove the factory-installed satnav dock and other kit, and replace/re-wire the existing head-unit, but is essentially a much more involved piece of work than you should have to do.

Thanks - I had that suspicion that it would be a lot more involved than I thought to change the screen from inbuilt to free standing which is why I am considering abolishing it altogether in favour of a separate wireless system for simplicity (in theory!)

....if the camera is decent (it looks as though it should be), the radio can be "removed" to detach the rear connections, and there is sufficient slack in the video cable to reach your desired monitor location, then I'd go with simply changing the monitor. (it can easily be reversed in the future - no pun intended!)

I don't think the Autotrail cameras are either "twin" or audio-capable, which keeps things simple.

It would help if you can find the head-unit wiring instructions to identify the (if it has one) switching wire (the video feed should be obvious) but the job is technically simple, the overall work can be complicated by the standard of current installation and any access problems.

The head unit has, I am told, been replaced by one that differs from the one shown in the A/T book although I would hope that the connections on the back are the same?

I don't suppose anyone knows how to get the head unit out please - as no instructions, no tools, and no obvious slots or holes?

....I can only get one mildly relevant hit (on "Facts").

If there is no sign of any extraction holes, etc., then is there an "escutcheon" round the perimeter of the unit.

I've had several units (including the current one) where carefully levering off the surround reveals the extraction mechanism (or quite often in this case, a set of screws which locate it in the mounting sleeve).

Edited to add:

The ATOC site gives some info on 2011 model reversing camera wiring here:

http://www.atoc.info/Members%20Tips.html

This (though confusingly wriiten) implies to me that there is both a switch feed and video feed to the back of the radio (for this year), and should provide some info on potential wiring colouring. (I can understand the fundamentals of this write-up, but it doesn't quite all join up :-S )

A check with Sargent might be useful if you ever manage to get the unit out. ;-)

If I recall correctly your vehicle will probably have a control box between the camera and the radio.

I think they call the system the "ObserveView Control Unit".

Inputs will be a feed from the camera and a feed from the reverse gear selector light circuit.

Outputs will be 2 video feeds. One to the radio, the other to an auxiliary LCD monitor (which would have been an optional extra).

Once you have located the control box it should not be too difficult to connect a monitor.

Sorry, I cannot help with wiring diagrams etc.but Autotrail should be able to supply diagrams

AliB - 2012-08-15 2:36 PM

...but Autotrail should be able to supply diagrams

Tracker,

The best place to get wiring diagrams for your AT is off the Sargent electrical website. Here is a Link to the AT page.

If you look at diagram 5 (of 8) for 2007-2009 you will see the wiring to the "Obserview control unit" as AliB posted above.

Keith.

....the wiring diagrams, basic as they are, for the above unit are on the Sargent website.

http://www.sargentltd.co.uk/REV_Kit_Install_1.pdf

....and on the 2007 wiring diagram here:

http://www.sargentltd.co.uk/Autotrail_schematics_2007.pdf

I'm not convinced, however, that it's the same unit Rich is describing (though, of course, there may only have been a change of display type).

I would certainly expect a camera control box, intermediate between the head-unit and the camera, and for this to have video input (camera), output (display), power, earth and switching feeds.

I suspect, however, that the head-unit will also need a switching feed (which could be piggy-backed off the similar feed for the control box).

Patently, if there are two outputs from the control box, then Rich could possibly connect a second display, and forget about disconnecting the radio feed, though it looks more like two inputs, one output from the instructions.

Archived