OH HEKI !!!!!!!!!!!!

michele

pepe63 - 2012-10-01 9:23 AM

Colin Leake - 2012-09-30 8:19 PM

....Fortunately it does not reach where any roof lights are but it is where the front and middle section of the roof join. Hope the seal is good....!

We had/have a similar situation with our Chausson...For peace of mind I bonded(sikaflex)a 60mm wide flat pvc moulding over the join(..leaving it slightly short each end,to aid run off)..

I'd be interested to know just what has been "done" to Michele's "Heki",that stops this from happening again...Have they just refitted seals?...have they sat it a "plinth"..?..has it been changed for another type("now has velvet surround")..? :-S

They have replaced the Heki for a new one and they have replaced the seals , actually mores to the point they are not absent this time . I will try my hardest to take some new pics and post for you to see .

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The little window is obviously the toilet Heki wonder why it didnt run in this one ?. Maybe we were parked at an angle .The other photo is of the Shower and back bed Heki again no trouble here although they don't have the velvet but on the pics you can see the dept of the upstand quite good . Mind you the upstand in the main Heki is the same .

Hope this helps guys now you can see what has been done . And guess what I am really as pleased as punch that I can finally do PHOTOS :D :D :D :D :D

386364136_HekiroofOct2012006.jpg.6d22746a6ba8fdaccba9bd786ae0e30f.jpg

1814209367_HekiroofOct2012007.jpg.6a1eef8748ce43a8f7a9a80e97f52df7.jpg

136062424_HekiroofOct2012008.jpg.2a71320dd5159dd7fd0dcf0c3755cabc.jpg

284761046_HekiroofOct2012009.jpg.bdae22a70ac57c32e4f11606c20d1968.jpg

Blimey! no wonder it "pooled/backed up"... 8-)

..as you say..nowhere for it to go,especially if it's slightly nose-down and it "backs up" against that over cab section....

There must be loads of vehicles with a similar configuration out there....

(..fortunately for us,our roof is "open-ended", back and front..)

Also,our Heki(on a 2009 Chausson) came with seals on.....

So what the best way to park it then ? cause I could quite easily see another downpour like that one and it would enter in to the back one over the bed ..If we tilted it up at the nose ?.. Any ideas anyone ?

Actually we couldnt chock to the front because there is an upstand on the roof at the back so it couldnt run off .

I hadn't really taken that rear "lip" to be a major "upstand"..I just thought it was 10-12mm moulding/lip...?

From the photos,the rear does *look* to be a better run-off option than the front though.....

(...If manufactures are going to "block-in" their roofs in this way,then maybe they should be mounting things like rooflights on purpose made plinths....)

Edit: Can I just add...Although manufacturers don't tend to bother(out of sight,out of mind!),there doesn't *appear* to be any tidy,"capping beads" of sealant around the Heki frame bases either... :-S

Our's was like that originally and the "always tacky" bedding mastic, collected pine needles,bits of leaves,moss etc... I trimmed it all off and re-beaded with Sikaflex...

...A bit disappointing that,after all that has happened,they just didn't bother doing that..... *-)

Guest pelmetman
michele - 2012-10-02 5:59 PM

Different model ha never thought of that Mel ... Well the back one seems to be better so lets hope when I road test this we get a down pour and its A ok !

I'd get a ladder and a hose ;-)

Guest pelmetman
michele - 2012-10-02 6:51 PM

I see your positive again ...your imagination runs wild , I think its time you went back to writing the book again :D

My muse has left............. :'(

Hi Michele

Your Heki is the same as we had on our previous van, we never had any problems with water coming in, looking at your photos it had the same moulding re roof fitting as yours and we had some pretty heavy rain storms in France.

As to the water running off looking at the roof there are channels either side of the over cab raised area, plenty of room for the water to run off, your van as most vans are bult slightly nose down. The answer is when you park up make sure the nose is slightly down, you only need to be just off level, so no discomfort wikth moving about inside.

Our present Autotrail has a definate higher lip at the back so we always have the nose slightly down, I was concerned about this after we go the van home so got the hose out and flooded the roof and played the hose against the Heki as our Heki is on the front slope of the overcab morfe vulnerable I think, but very releived no problems. Confirmed whilst in Somerset the other week when we had a tremendous rain storm.

Just relax and enjoy your new Van. Keepup the good work.

David

These over cab Heki's frighten the life out of me . One I worry mainly that they cant stand the wind speed coming at them and two they always look like they wouldnt stand up to much . Not for me and often found myself thinking what the heck haha are they for . Why would you want to open up a Heki over the driver & passenger seats ? Surely you can just open the side windows ..Nope not for us . I also have read a story where it flew off . Yep defo not for me couldnt imagine driving home witha wet bum :D :D

Thanks David . ;-)

Brambles - 2012-10-02 9:37 PM

WOW! thats a really badly designed roof for drainage. There is no way nose down it could clear water fast enough in some storms I have been in. I would think parking nose up slightly is best option and it would flood over rear lip better.

I'd agree with that. You shouldn't have to think about ' parking in a certain position ' to get the water to drain off the roof in a storm.

:-(

Michele

Checked our roof today If van is slightly nose up any water will drain off the rear, the rear lip is only a few mm higher than the roof,just to prove the point I poured a bucket of water over the roof it drained well over the rear leaving a very small amount of water behind the lip not enough to worry about. I am certainly happy with the exercise.

David

I think I can see what did not help the problem. If you were parked slightly nose down and also sloping slightly to right ( offside down slightly) the water landing on roof is going to try and drain front right of the roof through the channel around the over-cab pod. The way the solar panel is fitted is with a long fairing each side fore to aft, and also with air conditioning unit water is going to get channelled between the rear right corner of rooflight and the front end of solar panel left mount, not helped also by the cable channel/protector running forward from solar panel. This is a real bottle neck for the flow of water so the level is going to rise and get pushed under the window cowl and seep in. Probably under pressure from it flowing hard, and will not escape other side as water will also be rushing up to the window on the rear and left sides. I wonder if the new seals are just draught seals or are also water tight!

I think it would be much better just to have corner brackets on the solar panel and allow water to freely run underneath it, and move the cable channel further towards edge of roof.

Obviously very hard to tell from the angle of the photos so is hard to see what is actually there, but ties in with the corner the water actually leaked in shown by earlier photos posted.

Wooie - 2012-10-03 8:35 PM

Just out of curiosity,

how did you dent the satellite dish ?

You know what I noticed that on these pics yesterday .. We didnt and we have not . The only thing we have even been near is the Tarn Gorge under the tunnels and we all know they would of caused a hell of alot more damage then that , and the dents in the wrong place for that ...oh well more to worry about I still get a good picture :D

Brambles - 2012-10-02 9:37 PM

WOW! thats a really badly designed roof for drainage. There is no way nose down it could clear water fast enough in some storms I have been in. I would think parking nose up slightly is best option and it would flood over rear lip better.

Exactly Jon! My thoughts entirely. Rain is applied to roof faster than it can exit. Result? Roof becomes swimming pool!

On a short van it won't much matter, because the surface area won't collect that much rain. But on long vans with large roof areas, the outflow provided will prove inadequate for the volume collected under storm conditions. It's got the equivalent of a six inch gutter and a two inch downpipe! Those front outlets need to be at least a couple of inches wide at the base.

At present, the rainwater can't escape fast enough so it builds up, becoming progressively deeper, until it overtops the Heki upstands and cascades into the van.

The Heki seals are entirely irrelevant, it is the roof drainage that is at fault. So, why blame the maker of the rooflight? Besides which, who chose/specified that rooflight? If it needed a higher upstand, why not install one with the correct properties? They can't have it both ways! This is vintage bovine excrement! :-|

Archived