Transit seat arm rests

ips

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if they still offer the service, but Autosleeper used to offer to fit them to their Transit based conversions; it might be worth asking them.

As I remember, the cost was quite high (over £200) and took about a day to do.

Derek Uzzell - 2012-08-30 6:55 PM

It is indeed, as I've got two spare Transit arm-rests I could have sold you at an inordinate price.

I detest the things and, if a pair had been fitted to each of my Hobby's cab-seats instead of just a singleton, I'd have four spare arm-rests for sale.

I'm with you there Derek.

Always getting in the way.

Took mine off and it increased access from the cab to the ' rear '

It is indeed, as I've got two spare Transit arm-rests I could have sold you at an inordinate price.

I detest the things and, if a pair had been fitted to each of my Hobby's cab-seats instead of just a singleton, I'd have four spare arm-rests for sale.

Ha, ha! :-) Me too - but I'm keeping mine in case I sell the van, when I shall put them back to annoy someone else! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2012-08-30 10:41 PM

Ha, ha! :-) Me too - but I'm keeping mine in case I sell the van, when I shall put them back to annoy someone else! :-D

Are you two too chubby to get your big tummies by them when moving from cab to rear? (lol)

Mel B - 2012-08-30 10:54 PM

Brian Kirby - 2012-08-30 10:41 PM

Are you two too chubby to get your big tummies by them when moving from cab to rear? (lol)

I can't speak for Brian, but with a height of 1.7m, a weight of 60kg and a boxer's physique, "chubby" I ain't.

Arm-rests will usually make moving from a motorhome's cab to its living area more difficult, and very often complicate the rotation of swivelling cab seats. Additionally, if the motorhome has its handbrake in the driver's cab-door footwell and/or its gear-lever floor-mounted (both of which my Hobby has) lowered arm-rests will inevitably obstruct access to one or both driver controls. I can (sort of) appreciate an attraction in having arm-rests on the passenger cab-seat, but having them on the driver's cab-seat seems to me negative rather than positive. My previous 1996-built Herald had Ford 'captain's chair' seats with twin arm-rests that I soon took off, and I removed the single arm-rest from each of the Hobby's seats at the earliest opportunity. There have never been arm-rests on any of the many cars my wife and I have owned and we've never felt the slightest yearning for them.

I can also (sort of) understand that, if people sit in the cab seats a lot when the motorhome is static, the ability to rest one's arms on lowered arm-rests may be considered a Good Thing. But my well-toned arms have absolutely no need for support when I'm sat down - they don't need it at home and they don't need it in the motorhome. Having never seen my (similarly svelte) wife couch-potato-ing using a chair's arms to counteract the unyielding pull of gravity on her upper extremities, I assume lack of arm-rests (on domestic or motorhome seats) doesn't concern her either.

I'm currently sat in an 'office chair' with armrests. As I'm typing the arm-rests don't get in the way but, if they weren't there, it wouldn't bother me. I'm trying to envisage the way in which people drive a motorhome with a cab-seat's arm-rests lowered and how they can believe they are in proper control of the vehicle when their arms are being supported by the arm-rests. What happens if they need to take sudden evasive action that will involve large movements of the steering wheel? Surely the lowered arm-rests are going to seriously inhibit such movements?

:-D :-D :-D i love this ........ weird how people can be so different, I would not dream of driving or sitting or working in the office without the simple things in life, arm rests being one. i am 5' 11" (ish) and 13.5 stone things so not overweight at all. I dont have any problems getting in or out of the cab seat you just filp em up which is what there sposed to do. You lot are weird :-D (lol) (lol)

it is the lack of armrests for the rear passengers that annoys me. An armrest on a rear seat would make the journey so much more pleasant as the passenger can wedge themselves into the seat helping to compensate for any body rolls.

Few, if any, manufacturers fit rear armrests. It would be one of the boxes to tick in my next choice of motorhome.

ips - 2012-08-31 8:48 AM

:-D :-D :-D i love this ........ weird how people can be so different, I would not dream of driving or sitting or working in the office without the simple things in life, arm rests being one. i am 5' 11" (ish) and 13.5 stone things so not overweight at all. I dont have any problems getting in or out of the cab seat you just filp em up which is what there sposed to do. You lot are weird :-D (lol) (lol)

Sorry chuck, using the NHS BMI healty weight calculatorit looks like you are overweight!!! (LOL) Check it out for yourself:

http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx

We've been catching up on recordings of the Hairy Bikers' latest series about their dieting and it don't half make you think I can tell you!!! 8-)

As for armrests - IMV the Ford cab is too small for a second arm rest to be fitted, however, in our new Fiat based van with twin arm rests on each seat they work fine when facing forward, and especially when using the chairs swivelled round for lounging. Hubby doesn't use them when driving but does when static (gotta keep you happy Derek! :D ).

bazooka - 2012-08-30 8:17 PM

Hi Ips,they are fitted to my 2004 transit,I like them as they prevent the shoulders from acheing on long journeys,the same as cruise does with the knees.

Baz :-)

I tried holding on to a steering wheel in the correct ten to two position, and using armrests at the same time, but found my arms weren't long enough.

;-)

Mel B - 2012-08-31 7:42 PM

ips - 2012-08-31 8:48 AM

Sorry chuck, using the NHS BMI healty weight calculatorit looks like you are overweight!!! (LOL) Check it out for yourself:

http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx

We've been catching up on recordings of the Hairy Bikers' latest series about their dieting and it don't half make you think I can tell you!!! 8-)

As for armrests - IMV the Ford cab is too small for a second arm rest to be fitted, however, in our new Fiat based van with twin arm rests on each seat they work fine when facing forward, and especially when using the chairs swivelled round for lounging. Hubby doesn't use them when driving but does when static (gotta keep you happy Derek! :D ).

how very dare you :-D

George Collings - 2012-08-31 9:49 PM

Even split in our van, Val loves them, I took mine off ASAP,

Some seats can be used on both sides of the vehicle and although the arms may be missing the fittings may still be found under the trim. Its usually a threaded hole. Uncle Henry Ford parts department should be able to help.

As the back of a single-person 'single-armrest' Transit seat (as fitted to Mk 6 and Mk 7 models) appears to be identical for driver and passenger seats, one might reasonably expect that Ford would have allowed for an arm-rest to be fitted to either side of the seat back. However, according to the Ford Transit forum link I provided earlier, that ain't so.

I think it's odd for Ford to 'hand' the seat backs so that there's a UK-nearside seat back that can only accept an arm-rest on its right-hand side, or a UK-offside seat back that can only accept an arm-rest on its left-hand side, but that's what the Transit forum's advice is. Mke T explored this for his 2009 Globecar and was told that the seat back only had a single arm-rest attachment fitting.

I note that the Transit forum omits to identify the design of cab-seat involved. My Transit Mk 6-based Hobby has standard Ford cab-seats with one-piece backs (ie. with no separate head-rest) and a single arm-rest. But I've seen Mk 6/Mk 7 Transits with single-person seats with a separate head-rest and a similar design to that of the latest Euro 5 Transit's seat. Athough those earlier seats always had a single arm-rest, there remains the possibility (perhaps small) that they had the capability to take two.

ips - 2012-08-30 3:27 PM

I notice that the new tranny's have got double armrests were as mine only has the one. I feel well and truly left out now, is there any way of retro fitting the aformentioned extra armrest ??

Depends on what you are calling 'the new tranny's'?

If Mk6 or 7 then they will only have one arm rest....the logic being that it costs less to install one than it does two. All later model vehicles (not only Trannys) are built down to a price.

My AS Duetto is on a Ford Transit Mk5 2000 reg so has two arm rests.

This truly is a weird thread with folk whining that if their seats were fitted with two armrests, they would remove one.

Why???

They are hinged!

You don't have to have both rests down......it's not compulsory!! In fact i've often driven miles with both up before realising I have that 'extra' comfort you singletons don't have! :D

Guest pelmetman

My 99 Transit has 2 arm rests, but my 1990 camper doesn't :-( ....................I like them in the works van and use them all the time ;-).............as for Mr Ford making to a price... *-)............just a couple of examples

1990 camper has a seat winder on BOTH sides...........99 has just one...

1990 camper has glass headlamps..............99 has plastic which are now so scratched its only a matter of time before they fail the MOT *-)

ips - 2012-09-01 4:42 PM

Agree you dont have to use em. My 09 has one but the face lift model of my van has two, and i now want two too.. :-D

In order to do it it you would need to strip the seat down to the frame which means removing the upholstery as the arms are held in to the frame by a large torx bolt.

I think you will get more tips/help on the Transit Owners Forum than on this forum.

www.brandbeltsoutlet.com cheap louis vuitton belts

www.urbanchinashop.com cheap gucci sunglasses

www.urbansunglassessale.com cheap gucci sunglasses

www.urbanbrandstore.com cheap coogi clothing

www.urbansalestore.com cheap gucci clothing

www.brandmallshop.com cheap louis vuitton shoes

www.ebuychinashop.com cheap Armani clothing

Archived