Road tax expires while out of country

Domino

Just noticed the road tax expires while we are out of the country. We plan to be away Jan and Feb 2013 and the tax expires at the end of January. I can't find the answer on the DVLA site - and thought this must have applied to some of the forum visitors - so thought I'd put the question out there... thanks in advance for any responses.

Guest pelmetman

You must of missed this bit ;-)

Vehicle tax due to expire while you’re abroad

You can tax your vehicle online, by phone, or get someone to tax it for you if you’re going to be abroad when your vehicle tax expires. You can also tax your vehicle in advance of going away.

Tax online or by phone

Use the reference number on your V11 reminder or Registration Certificate to renew your tax from the fifth day of the month in which the current tax disc expires. The tax disc can only be sent to the address shown on your V11 reminder or Registration Certificate. You could ask a friend or relative to post this to you at an address abroad.

Keithl - 2012-09-02 11:18 AM

Or if you're really that worried then cash in your existing disc just before a month end and then the following month re-tax for a new 12 months. Simples!

Keith.

Which is what I was going to suggest, as that way you can permanently shift the renewal date, and so avoid the same problem should you decide to go away at the same time next year.

Just athought. If you are out of the country then how do you present the insurance document and MOT to get the new tax disc? Yes, if a friend does it and has your documents, but if you are abroad with the vehicle then they are with you. Renewing in advance seems to best solution

Colin Leake - 2012-09-02 6:39 PM

On our last motorhome I got round the long term problem by taking out the tax for six months thus moving future renewal dates to a time ofmyearbwhen we were,unlikely to be away.

Did the same thing, also meant that Ins and MOt were in place already, as before all were due on ame date.

lennyhb - 2012-09-02 3:30 PM

You don't need to produce insurance & MOT for online renewal the system checks the VOSA & Insurance databases.

That sounds fine, but do I trust 'em?????????????Just an old fashioned sort of person who likes to queue, and chat, at the local Post Office.

Dont worry, renew online whilst away, we have done it several times whilst living over here in France, now dont have to as we are French registered. Many times I have sorn online and taxed vehicles from here, never been stopped in England on return with out of date tax disc, hey ho, it could have been stolen or lost.

Archived