step relayl locaction

tringy

I have an autotrail apache 700 2007 i have problems with the omni step retraction and after reading forums suspect its a faulty relay or blown relay.I need to locate it but i but i cant find where the relay is situated does anybody know ? please.

PS. I had the motor tested and this was OK as this was my first thought so if anybody thinks it might be something other than the relay please let me know.

Thank You

Tringy

Have you tried tracing the wiring? I assume there is a manual switch, with automatic retraction when the engine is running? If so, the relay should not be too far from the step or the switch. It will be along the wires feeding the step. However, make sure you also check for detached or loose wires, because that will be by far the easiest fix! Relay probably in the base of the nearest cupboard forward of the habitation door, likely to be below, or near, the manual switch, but possibly somewhere under the van, possibly in a box. If it is external, it is likely to have died from corrosion. They are usually very durable and reliable items.

tringy - 2012-09-02 11:53 AM

I have an autotrail apache 700 2007 i have problems with the omni step retraction and after reading forums suspect its a faulty relay or blown relay.I need to locate it but i but i cant find where the relay is situated does anybody know ? please.

PS. I had the motor tested and this was OK as this was my first thought so if anybody thinks it might be something other than the relay please let me know.

Thank You

Tringy

Hi tringy;

first thing I'd do is email Aututrail and ask.

I'm not at all electrics savvy, but if your van is based on a Ducato/Boxer/Citroen thingy!, then you may find lots of electrical bits located under the internal "cill" on either drivers or passenger's door. Our fridge relay was sited there by the converters, and I'd guess it's a popular place to take power.

As I say, I'm no expert, just observant!

regards

alan b

Hi Tringy and welcome to the forum,

As others have said look under the MH near the step and note where the wiring goes thru' the floor, this is almost certainly directly below the manual switch and the relay will be directly behind in whatever locker or cupboard this happens to be.

Another thing to look for would be the auto retract stop switch which is located on the end of the step and is depressed when the step is in. But be very careful of fingers when under the MH fiddling with the step, they BITE!

PS You can get wiring diagrams for your AT from the Sargent Electrical website.

Keith.

Archived