Wheelchair storage

Craftsman

Hi

Don't know if I'm in the right place to post this, as I am new to the forum and to motorhoming. So here's hoping someone can help! My wife is a wheelchair user and we are planning to buy our first motorhome this year at the NEC. My issue is storage of the chair on the motorhome. I have been looking at installing a box of sorts onto a tow bar but can't seem to find any big enough. When folded the chair is 74cm x24cm x56cm and weighs about 12kg's. I'm not worried if the box is even larger than we need as the extra storage would be useful. Will I need to get a bespoke box or is there a supplier somewhere? Any advice would be much appreciated.

You wouldn't even need a full garage model to store a wheelchair of the dimensions quoted.

The underbed storage area in our french bed model would easily accommodate that size of item.

I once managed to fit in a mountain bike (with only the front wheel removed) along with five reasonably sized folding chairs plus other junk as well!

Take your tape measure, or more preferably the wheelchair, along to the NEC at the end of October and start measuring locker doors and you'll be surprised at what will take that wheelchair. Or if you're looking for S/H go along to a good dealers and ask.

Keith.

Craftsman - 2012-09-16 11:57 AM

Hi

Don't know if I'm in the right place to post this, as I am new to the forum and to motorhoming. So here's hoping someone can help! My wife is a wheelchair user and we are planning to buy our first motorhome this year at the NEC. My issue is storage of the chair on the motorhome. I have been looking at installing a box of sorts onto a tow bar but can't seem to find any big enough. When folded the chair is 74cm x24cm x56cm and weighs about 12kg's. I'm not worried if the box is even larger than we need as the extra storage would be useful. Will I need to get a bespoke box or is there a supplier somewhere? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hi Craftsman

My wife has two chairs - one Folding Manual & one Powerchair. So we have a large garage model Motorhome.

We have gone through various stages. 1st manual chair only, 2nd manual chair & mobility scooter to now a manual chair & full off-road capability Powerchair. The Adria Sport takes the Powerchair (96kg) in the garage without having to dismantle it, (although I do remove the batteries to save on garage weight. It also take the folded manual chair (16kg), spare wheel (c25kg) & lots of other gear.

From your post , am I right in thinking your wife's is a manual ?

If so, there will be many models that can accomodate it. Simplest solution for a folding manual is to remove the footplates & cushions, then depending on the motorhome layout the chair can be positioned behind either of the front seats & strapped in place. So it leaves all the storage areas free for other essentials.

If you want any additional info, post on here or if specific you can PM me. (see the PM button below my details on the left)

Hi again

Thank you for all your advice, all very helpful. We were looking at a coachbuilt rear lounge set up. (My wife's preferred layout). Something with good space inside like the Bailey 625. The chair is manual and we also have a little dog to accommodate. We need single beds and the height of the beds must be quite low to facilitate my wife's mobility problems. We also need access to the loo at all times. External storage would be best but I hear what you are all saying about underseat storage etc. Unfortunately we have quite a bit of stuff to carry around so the rear box seemed like the best idea. Thanks to you all for your advice so far.

Craftsman - 2012-09-17 10:44 AM

Hi again

Thank you for all your advice, all very helpful. We were looking at a coachbuilt rear lounge set up. (My wife's preferred layout). Something with good space inside like the Bailey 625. The chair is manual and we also have a little dog to accommodate. We need single beds and the height of the beds must be quite low to facilitate my wife's mobility problems. We also need access to the loo at all times. External storage would be best but I hear what you are all saying about underseat storage etc. Unfortunately we have quite a bit of stuff to carry around so the rear box seemed like the best idea. Thanks to you all for your advice so far.

Hi Craftsman

If a rear lounge model, it's quite possible the "strap behind cab seats" won't work for you.

Possibly a Bike Rack on the rear for the wheelchair & store the cushions inside. As the wheelchair is a folding type you can get a storage /carrying bag to keep the road dirt off -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bin-To-Wheelchair-Storage-Bag/dp/B004SXYIA8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347921462&sr=8-1

or similar.

Archived