Decsion made

rupert123

Our first, slightly longer, trip now completed in panel van. It went well with no problems occurring with the van or its equipment, but being Uk built would not expect any. The PVC has some of the positives its advocates shout about, drives well, parking is easier, good mpg, however it also has, for us major drawbacks. All vans have drawbacks and the question is can you live with them, my first reaction is no but we will see, no immediate and potentially expensive decision will be made. We have not felt the need to fit any extras at all and indeed the only thing will be a scooter rack if we keep it. My wife still struggles with that b****y side door and simply cannot close it from the inside. Neither of us can see a single positive about this door and although we knew about it before purchase did not see the problems it would cause. All very well this stuff about sitting inside with it open etc but in practice if weather is good we sit outside, if it is not doors stay firmly closed. Not having an outside locker is a pain to with hookup leads, water hoses, ramps having to live inside the van, especially if they get muddy. The inside space, not length or height, but the width is not great, would not believe how much a few inches of extra width make until you do not have it. Neither of us is very big but the van is almost impossible to move around in without negotiating the move first. So is all negative, well no, the van does drive well and returned 35mpg. In towns it is certainly easier to find space but this is not really important to us, it may be to some. Are we PVC converts, definitely not yet, will we become converts, it seems doubtful at this time, they seem a compromise to far.

Since writing the first bit of this post things have moved on again and after some discussion we have decided PVC not for us and we are going to change. Made some tentative enquires about a part ex. and although will take a loss not as bad as feared. If we do a deal before the new year it looks good especially as people seem very keen on taking the van. Going to the NEC next week to have a good look around, pretty sure about what we want now, this is the first time have made this sort of blunder with a van and no wish to repeat it. I can certainly see the attraction of them but I guess it all comes down to how you use the van. If we just headed south and lived outside in the sun it would be ok but although we like sun as much as anybody we spend a lot of time in the mountains, time in northern Europe and the UK so spend time inside the van especially during evenings early and late in the year. I am a fairly confident driver so extra width of a CB does not bother me but lack of space inside certainly does. The other positives of a PVC which others find so attractive, thought we would to, have not, for us, proved enough to cover the drawbacks so we move on.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear of your issues Henry and much appreciate your candour. Not many will admit on open forum that they have got it wrong although plenty, me included, have.

The issues that bother you are the same ones that bother us and so far I don't quite see the positives outweighing the negatives for us either, so we are sticking with our coachbuilt Cheyenne 630LB for the time being and resolving the only main issue which is the payload because with that sorted the traditional UK type layout works well for us - even if it is a tail heavy layout.

Can you remind us again what your van is please as short term memory is not my strong point these days!

Good luck Henry, and I hope that you find what you want at a less than eye watering cost - any models in mind so far?

Guest JudgeMental
Pretty astonishing......All this could have been learnt with due rigour, sitting in a few vans for a while at shows and seriously weighing things up *-)

You may recall that we very nearly (paid deposit) changed to a PVC and I have to say after reading your post I am glad we didnt as the reasons that you outline as being an issue for you were the exact ones that we had our doubts about and pulled out. Hope you get sorted soon with a suitable replacement.

I don't want to start a new war with Eddie but I do feel on this occasion that his posting was not very helpful.

It does not matter how much time and effort goes into research and shows etc - there is nothing like loading, travelling, living with and sleeping in a van for a week to really find the pluses and minuses on how it works in the real world.

It is not nice to openly criticise anyone for getting it wrong - especially when they have the honesty and integrity to say so and give reasons on here purely to help others not make the same mistake.

It's bad enough being in that position with being further castigated - no doubt poor old Henry (cantankerous old soul that he can be) is feeling bad enough already and I think he deserves our support not our condemnation.

Guest JudgeMental

For heavens sake if not capable of some due diligence could have hired one......I just hope the change back not to expensive for H........More a warning to others to help prevent them making expensive mistakes

would rather have a practical economic and nice to drive PVC any day then your lumbering monstrosity...

Have to remember H bought a 5.5 metre van and these simply dont work in a PVC IMO

I went through the process of considering a panel van downsize when we last changed (from a Rapido A-Class).

I finally decided that I couldn't live with the downsides that Rupert largely highlights, particularly the lack of "outside" storage space (I've had 'vans for a long time, and with 2 kids and a PVC in the past I found a trailer, which I hated towing, was the only viable solution for storage). I hugely dislike a cluttered interior to the 'van, and it wasn't an experience I wanted to repeat.

The wide door was a potential attraction, but in real life, Rupert's comments pertain - in good weather we sit outside, in less clement conditions, inside (but often with the hab door open and the flyscreen closed).

Possibly the big eventual decider was that we wanted to keep a viable 3rd bed (my son - just departed to Uni (hooray)) shares our interests of cycling, walking and mountains, and has thus been reluctant to "detach" himself from our holidays whilst still living at home. As he is somewhat over 6ft, the options in a panel van were not great.

So - we ended up looking at the "van" range of coachbuilts (and the small number of A-class equivalents), and eventually found the best match to our requirements in a Hobby Van. We considered the shorter model than we actually bought, but the double longitudinal beds gave the garage size we wanted, and that little bit of extra space when we weren't "a deux".

All in all, it has been a successful decision. The van I have is almost exactly the same length as the Rapido, but is significantly narrower - which has proven to be very useful. It is better-insulated than a PVC, better-equipped than most, has a large payload, permanent beds, delivers good MPG (39mpg indicated on a tankful at speed in Germany this year - the trip computer is optimistic on my measurements, but not very! Overall I get around 33-34 real mpg). The garage is big enough to take two full-size electric bikes and all my general "bri a brac", neatly and accessible. Given the latter, there is more than enough inside storage space for three of us, let alone two.

All in all, such a "'van" (or one of the recent compacts) might be a better choice for Rupert (though the narrowness does impact slightly on the manouvering past each other, and I wouldn't want to put a scooter rack on the back of mine, though a lightweight one in the garage should be viable).

I wish him luck with his search, and trust that any financial hit won't be too painful.

I am amused by some of Eddie's comments, however - whilst singing the praises of his various 'vans, he appears (even on recent posts) always to be considering an imminent change to resolve some little "problem" or shortcoming of the current one. Perhaps a certain amount of "due diligence" would also pay off for him? ;-)

Guest JudgeMental

Could not be easier......You open the rear doors and large storage area under beds? *-)

The van I am considering was not available 2 years ago and still not till 2013 clever clogs....

I dont like carrying 2 E bikes worth 4.5K on a rack, it was the price I paid for downsizing and as new E bike I am considering costs 3.5K I like the idea even less.....

I don't normally keep vehicles for more then 3 years or so anyway..and its my 60th so going to treat myself is that OK? There is nothing wrong with the Adria and may well keep it,.

We have just had a 3000 mile holiday through 8 countries and wish my health would allow me to live on the road semi permanently...and I would still choose a panel van, rather then a CB that handles like a garden shed on wheels.

Mrs M also prefers the ease of a panel van.....but disliked the transverse bed in CB and feels the same about this one. So if I can kill two birds with one stone we will change Feb/March 2013 in time for Spain.

1923795389_underbed-Copy.jpg.82609c118a24752b6a3f087adc71a17f.jpg

Eddie,

as far as I'm concerned, you can please yourself how and when you buy your 'vans (and frankly, that is all you should have to please - except perhaps your other half). ;-)

....but, if you choose to criticise the buying practice or requirements of other people then don't be surprised if a "clever clogs" comments on finding your practice somewhat odd.

JudgeMental - 2012-10-11 1:04 PM

Could not be easier......You open the rear doors and large storage area under beds? *-)

I appreciate that there is some storage space beneath a fixed bed on a PVC; that space on my coachbuilt, however, is sufficient for all the gas, the electrics, the heating, the majority of the water works, shelved and cupboarded storage, AND two (or more) electric bikes, all isolated from the main 'van. As all that lives where it is, it also leaves a large amount of space for personal storage inside the 'van (and an oven, an eminently usable shower, etc). That suits me, but patently our priorities are different.

The van I am considering was not available 2 years ago and still not till 2013 clever clogs....

.....well, even as a "clever clogs" I've lost sight of which (of the many mentioned) you're currently considering. I thought it was only about 18 months ago that you changed, however, and the fundamental layouts on PVCs haven't changed a lot in that time. Longer vans with longitudinal beds, for instance, were certainly available then.

I dont like carrying 2 E bikes worth 4.5K on a rack, it was the price I paid for downsizing and as new E bike I am considering costs 3.5K I like the idea even less.....

....neither do I, which is why I've bought a 'van where I don't need to (but as I say, our priorities must differ).

I don't normally keep vehicles for more then 3 years or so anyway..and its my 60th so going to treat myself is that OK?

....looks more like two years to me, but, heyho, if you can afford it, who am I to question?

There is nothing wrong with the Adria and may well keep it.

....apart from the fact that the expensive bikes have to go on a rack (oh....and your wife doesn't like the transverse bed). Make your mind up man :-D (and if there really isn't anything wrong with it - keep it - at least Rupert is admitting he got it wrong).

We have just had a 3000 mile holiday through 8 countries and wish my health would allow me to live on the road semi permanently...and I would still choose a panel van, rather then a CB that handles like a garden shed on wheels.

....if I had a CB that handled like a garden shed on wheels, I'd rather have a PVC (as long as it didn't) ;-)

Mrs M also prefers the ease of a panel van.....but disliked the transverse bed in CB and feels the same about this one. So if I can kill two birds with one stone we will change Feb/March 2013 in time for Spain.

....so, knowing this, you went ahead and bought another transverse bed. Brave man (and maybe some insight into why, if the Adria has "nothing wrong with it" a replacement is being planned (and that still looks less than two years to me ;-))

Whilst I have certainly changed 'vans in the past at three year intervals, this has mainly been due to (initially) a growing family, and (more recently) a departing family. Given more fixed family numbers, longer has been the norm (the last was over 5 years), and subject to it remaining serviceable, my current 'van (bought with well-understood compromises) will be made to last for some time yet.

Guest JudgeMental
ips - 2012-10-11 1:52 PM

Ooh looks quite tasty, not disimilar to the adria that we nearly got do you not fancy another adria then ?

might be better discussing over on panel van thread, as this is really H's commiserations thread

Possl/Globecar better insulated, and bed 1500 wide, whereas most French beds only 1200 even in CB's.Van is a bit longer though. But as we would not need bike rack it will be shorter in use.....

Hi Folks

Have been following this thread with great interest. Have mentioned before that we are considering getting a VW, a newish van with a new conversion, which will have a rear kitchen and flushing loo, with a front lounge area converting into two singles or a double bed. At the present time, we've got a CI with a fixed bed which my better half has pointed out if we chopped out the bed and did without the bathroom it would probably be the same size as we're considering buying. My wife says she is happy to swap cleaning the bathroom for making up beds. If you have a fixed bed in a 6m van, you still have to negotiate your way around your partner which we don't find inconvenient and this will not change with a VW. The kitchen area and lounge area are roughly the same size as we've got now so we end up with two problems, making up the beds and the big one, no outside storage. We're both in our seventies and, like everybody else, have been hit by inflation and pensions and looking to downsize to one vehicle (we no longer carry the grandchildren around, so the van is definitely for us two). We tend to shower every day but are now using campsites more often than aires (still like the aires) so showering is no problem, although a loo is essential for night time visits! Be grateful for any comments.

Alan...

Maybe not the neatest or securest of solutions but outside storage can be addressed to some degree by fitting a rear storage box(mounted on a cycle rack?)..at least then,it gives you somewhere for the likes of the levelling chocks,hook-up leads,folding chairs etc)and you can always fit some better locks to it...and alarm it..(..and No! I don't mean shouting BOO! at it ... (lol) )

We(or rather "I"),still have fond memories of our Duetto...but in all honesty,I don't think I'd really want to go back to it......and it wouldn't be bjust ecause of the size either...it'd be the making/unmaking of the bed and the disrupting of the lounge area, every day/night... :-S

Guest JudgeMental

Dear me Robin......please dont try to second guess me its offensive

I was prepared for the compromise as already explained and have managed OK with it, certainly would not have a CB just for a garage.

I like sleeping with my wife and have no desire for single beds, this wide French bed answers our needs better we think. the bed was a compromise she accepts, I am not silly.

Now two NEW vans (Las Strada and Possll) available with better layout, also the ability to accommodate bikes which is unusual in a panel van. Its not going to cost me that much to change (pension lump sum due) and still only considering it at this stage....doing the homework? due diligence? Will be my last van I would think....

We downsized because kids no longer travel with us much, they have joined us in Italy and Croatia these last 2 years. we keep a pop up tent fixed to bed base for these occasions.....

I see no similarities between having a van for a few months and spending hardly any time in it, if anything H needs to think less and get away into the sun more.... My situation different, 3 long European holidays and happy with choice...your talking bo$$ock's

.....certainly wasn't trying to second guess you, simply pointing out the irony of questioning Rupert's decision-making process, whilst you seem to be exhibiting at least similar propensities yourself.

Wasn't trying to be offensive, either, though it seems to me that you should probably re-read some of your own postings if you want some examples of such; clever clogs. ;-)

(BTW, I don't quite understand the context of the Pension Lump Sum comment - it still costs you the same to spend that, as it does money from any other source).

Guest JudgeMental
Robinhood - 2012-10-11 3:12 PM

JudgeMental - 2012-10-11 3:07 PM

Oop's a daisies

I see you did decide to re-read that one ;-)

No..I just copied other post by accident while editing.....Anyway what is this, you stalking moi you limp kneed to$$er

Robinhood - 2012-10-11 2:04 PM

I appreciate that there is some storage space beneath a fixed bed on a PVC; that space on my coachbuilt, however, is sufficient for all the gas, the electrics, the heating, the majority of the water works, shelved and cupboarded storage, AND two (or more) electric bikes, all isolated from the main 'van. As all that lives where it is, it also leaves a large amount of space for personal storage inside the 'van (and an oven, an eminently usable shower, etc). That suits me, but patently our priorities are different.

I don't want to get into the CB vs PVC arguement, as I always say "we're all different" and obviously Henry is happier in a CB, but I would point out that the van Eddie is considering is similier to mine and that space pictured contains all you have listed.

colin - 2012-10-11 3:25 PM

Robinhood - 2012-10-11 2:04 PM

I don't want to get into the CB vs PVC arguement, as I always say "we're all different" and obviously Henry is happier in a CB, but I would point out that the van Eddie is considering is similier to mine and that space pictured contains all you have listed.

....and with respect, Colin, neither do I, since the endless proselytising that goes on on that subject has become rather boring.

I'm quite happy for people to weigh up the pros and cons (if discussed dispassionately) and make their own judgement, since we all tend to use our 'vans differently.

I was simply poking a bit of fun at the stance being taken.

As for the Globecar 636, it was one of the 'vans that was most seriously considered when I changed. (I was able to visit SMC nearby at Newark and have a good look round one).

Of the PVCs I looked at, it was about the closest to what I was looking for but fell short in a few areas. It may be a matter of opinion, but I didn't like the shower arrangement (innovative though it is), and I doubt I would have got full-size bikes under the bed(s) very easily. I'm not sure I could with the French-bed version Eddie is looking at either - unless the bed folds up - in which case transport would be OK, but they would have to be removed overnight.

(I don't like the Globecar graphics either, but that is relatively easily remedied, and certainly wouldn't be a show-stopper :-))

Yours is a nice 'van, just not right for me.

JudgeMental - 2012-10-11 3:22 PM

Robinhood - 2012-10-11 3:12 PM

JudgeMental - 2012-10-11 3:07 PM

Oop's a daisies

I see you did decide to re-read that one ;-)

No..I just copied other post by accident while editing.....Anyway what is this, you stalking moi you limp kneed to$$er

....you seem to be taking offence almost as readily as you give it.............. ;-)

Guest JudgeMental

I have watched H's progress and really have never understood why he changed to a small PVC in the first place.

Surely if your idea of fun is to off season camp in this God forsaken country or France. Cant live without your roast diners and 3 veg while watching rain pissing down outside, the last vehicle you would consider is a PVC

On the other hand if you want an easy vehicle to live with, easy to clean and repair, with better handling and fuel consumption, like to live outside, and travel far and wide to experience a decent quality of life and weather, a PVC fits the bill. Thats my take on it

so like ze Trackor says (and Colin :-D) viva la difference! at least we have choices, unlike many poor souls *-)

Hi Rupert, sorry to hear that you haven't settled with your van and hope you find something that meets your needs and doesn't cost you a packet in the process.

There are always compromises with any vehicle, whether you can 'live' with them or not is a very personal thing. For example, we don't regret changing to our PVC one bit, but in doing so we had to accept that we had to 'lose' our larger fridge, water tank, a hob burner and of course the garage. But what we have gained is a vehicle which hubby enjoys driving, will better suit our 'new' lifestyle now that we're both 'early retired', and a major unexpected bonus is that our dog Lily is much calmer in it! :-> It just 'feels' right and that is something that you just can't 'measure'.

We will have to use it in bad weather, so fully accept that we'll be lolling around in it for some of the time, but the layout we chose will allow us to do that without feeling claustrophobic or under each other's feet.

So far the only real slight 'downside' is that now that the folding bikes are under the bed I can't easily get in the lockers at either end of the bed, but I'll get round that by putting the stuff I use most under the dinette seat which has top and front flap access. When the bikes are on the back, which is where they'll be normally, there won't be a problem as there are flaps on the front of each of the 'settee' bases which make up the bed. To compare this to our Chausson with the large garage, even though it had 2 doors on it, it was often still a matter of emptying stuff out to be able to retrieve some things as everything had to be piled on top of each other and you could bet that what we wanted was at the bottom! *-) The fact that the Accent has separate lockers means that I don't have to empty loads of stuff out now. This is one of the reasons we prefer it over a fixed rear bed PVC, the large space under the fixed bed looks great, but we didn't want to end up having to shuffle stuff around to retrieve bits and pieces as we did with the Chausson.

Archived