Decsion made

rupert123

We came to coachbuilts after many year,s owning differing models of then Called Caravanette all based on the VW transporter Oh and one early model of Autohome  a Bedouin CB on a Bedford CF chassis/engine, so we really appreciate the amount of Living room and storage space in CB Motorhomes,I once thought of Buying a new Mercedes long wheel base Panel van and converting it myself, but after a multitude of design,s I realised no mater where I put what,  two people passing anywhere in the Living area would have real difficulty and I would never achieve the room we currently have in our CB, So I could not envisage us moving to a MPV/MVC. That said other,s seem to manage quite well . Perhaps we take too much.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mel B - 2012-10-12 6:39 PM

Rich - have you seen a Warwick in the flesh yet? It only has the 'glass' side windows (no double-glazing) and the wardrobe/washroom across the sliding door, rather than on the opposite side as you get on other models, to my mind makes it feel really claustrophobic and oppressive ....

One of the reasons we went for the Stratford was this, washroom is on drivers side, the loss of 60cm did not bother us. The lack of double glazing on the rear side windws will make little differance as the rear windows on most are not d/b glazed anyway and in practice m/h d/b is not great. The full length dark windows do look great though and we did not find the van dark.

JudgeMental - 2012-10-12 1:15 PM

The new transit 2013 may be one to watch ....While I prefer the fiat to drive, have never understood why the Fiat rear axle so mediocre. I could never overload my Ford based CB rear axle. Both Tracker & H nearer to 70 then 21 I believe, Moi a veritable spring chicken in comparison:-S

So a 3500kg van probably a better bet. I would suggest one with an assured circa 400kg payload, so needs to be 3100kg'ish with extras fitted...I managed this, so I am sure they are available if you look

You may be right about the new transit and we have no problem with the Ford anyway. I am looking for a payload of at least 500kg, which should not be hard, even my last small Swift with a 3300kg limit had just over 500kg so should not be to hard. Even with the scooter we came in well under limit although we always travel with nearly empty water tank so this gives us an extra 60/70kgs. Up to the nec on thursday with a list of stuff to look at, staying at Holiday Inn wednesday night so will will at the doors when they open.

Mel thanks for making the meaning of our last post clear, you were spot on. Must try in future to be less ambiguous as do not want to keep upsetting Eddie! Seriously Eddie sorry to read you have health problems. I too suffer from some (heart related) which is one reason Jean and myself restrict most of our travels to France these days. Main thing is that we are all able to keep enjoying our 'vanning no matter what style we choose.

Guest pelmetman
Brambles - 2012-10-11 11:11 PM

Mel - it is called Cognitive Dissonance.

Oh dear 8-)..................is there a cream for that? :-S

Guest JudgeMental
robertandjean - 2012-10-13 8:45 PM

Mel thanks for making the meaning of our last post clear, you were spot on. Must try in future to be less ambiguous as do not want to keep upsetting Eddie! Seriously Eddie sorry to read you have health problems. I too suffer from some (heart related) which is one reason Jean and myself restrict most of our travels to France these days. Main thing is that we are all able to keep enjoying our 'vanning no matter what style we choose.

My hearts fine kidneys another matter......fancy a swap? :-D

Archived