Ezetow/trailer question?

Hawcara

fairweather camper - 2012-10-16 7:56 PM

Could you tell me where the "Castors" are please, as there dont appear to be any on mine?. Or are you thinking of the Hydratrail.

Hi Valerie

On the EZETOE the castors (or swivels) are part of the wheel arm, where it is fixed to the loadbed frame.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thebishbus - 2012-10-16 4:17 PM

IT would be interesting to know why and what failed on this Ezetow unit. The concept seems fine to me, and a good way of taking a scooter or motorbike with you, at less risk of overloading the van, as long as the engineering is up to the job.

I do not see why this should be any more prone to speed bump damage than any other type of trailer or motor vehicle.

Brian B.

As far as I know a bad weld fractured. Probably used an imigrant on minimum wage to do welding instead of a propper welding craftsman. Some of the welding you see on stuff these days makes me cringe. Looks like bird sh*t.

flicka - 2012-10-16 8:12 PM

fairweather camper - 2012-10-16 7:56 PM

Could you tell me where the "Castors" are please, as there dont appear to be any on mine?. Or are you thinking of the Hydratrail.

Hi Valerie

On the EZETOE the castors (or swivels) are part of the wheel arm, where it is fixed to the loadbed frame.

Just had a look on the eze tow site and the round tubular supports for the wheels look pretty fragile compared to the hydratrail. No wonder it snapped off.

Hawcara - 2012-10-15 10:27 PM

Proves the use of the forum, for without it, we would never have known.

Will now ask if anyone, has experience of side loading trailers? Going backwards is a problem, but there is less to break.

Yes, ideally would like a rack, but there are constraints, so this is last option!

At least trailer is half the price and may have more of a resale value.

Look forward to your comments :-D

I'm confused! You have a motorhome capable of carrying a bike in the garage ... why not do that ... or am I missing something! 8-)

Good point Mel, I have a Chausson, but the Honda PCX, that I use for work, won't fit. If the garage were a standard rectangular shape, without the wooden platform that abuts into it, then I would get it in.

A smaller scooter may well fit, but I don't really need two bikes.

When we bought the van, the scooter thing did not really come into it. The van suits every other purpose however. So next time around we will look for a bigger garage or a manufacturer that will agree to a rack on the back :-D

Hawcara - 2012-10-17 8:37 AM

...If the garage were a standard rectangular shape, without the wooden platform that abuts into it, then I would get it in....

When I initially read that, I thought,"..Oh,it'll only be to house the leisure battery or such like..just look at moving it.." but having now looked at a photo of the Flash 04 garage,I now see what you mean!?.... 8-)

http://www.highbridgecaravans.co.uk/newmotorhomedetails.php?ID=643

What does all that "platform" do?.... :-S

The platform just seems to be the floor level within the van. It has some of those channels on that you can attach eye hooks to. The garage is very good and the bed goes up and down (so to speak) and no doubt you could get a smaller scooter in there.

As people have said on here many times before, every van is a compromise. This van would be perfect for us, but we have changed the criteria and now want to zoom around on a scooter.

We will probably go with a small trailer.

In the UK a trailer will be more important as a lot of sites, CL's seem to be away from some of the places we want to visit. We are limited to a few weeks away abroad each year,so it is not a major issue.

If Mel were closer to us, I would tootle round there and no doubt they would give me a lot of ideas. We only make pasties down yer. :-D

This was the type of thing I was picturing:

http://www.fishbrain.biz/acatalog/Fiamma_Bike_storage_for_Motorhomes_with_garage_facility.html

(..although obviously,"adapted" to receive a scooter better,maybe with supporting legs and and an upright support frame/post..?)

Having said all that,it may be worth just getting a second,smaller,cheap scoot' for when you're away in the van... ;-)

Must admit all the chat of ramps is making me think.

In earlier threads 'Ips' stated the carry a Piaggio Zip, which would be a bit small and would suffer 2 up (would be interesting to know how fast it would go). Mel B, I think said they put a Yamaha Vity in there. It's the wooden bar that sticks out that is the problem. Seeing something in the flesh, so to speak is the thing.

I think the garage can take 150 kg. :-S

It'd be worth just "mocking up" a temporary false floor and ramp set-up,just to find out once and for all,whether your bike would fit or not...

You could just use some cheap 20mm shuttering ply to "level" the floor(..even if,just to try it, it only sat on top of that "ledge",with the other edges sat on blocks..?).You could also make a temporary ramp out of the same ply but it'd need some decent strenghtening battens underneath....

Personally,if it was mine(and it fit!),I'd be aiming for a sturdy pull-out platform,which could be locked into postion(in and out),on which a ramp could then be attached...

The bike could then be secured to the platform,without having to reach and rawl into the garage...slid in...and then the platform fastened into place once inside(..with rachet straps/"barrel strainers"/anti-luce fasteners etc)

Hi Alex, as mentioned in my PM to you a short while ago, I'm 'poorly' at present so this is the first time I've been on the forum for 2 days!

I've now had a look at your scooter and it's big and heavy!!!! I don't think I'd even attempt to get it in there, so the options appear to be:

1. Don't take a scooter

2. Get a trailer for it

3. Get a smaller scooter/bike that will fit in the garage.

In case anyone is interested, this is what I said to Alex in my PM:

We only put the Vity in once as we decided that we'd be unlikely to use it in reality. With having the dogs we are limited on how long we can leave them in the van so day-trips out on the scooter weren't possible, hence why we've now downsized to the Accent so we can take the van to more places.

The stepped part that sticks out in the garage is a bit of a pain, but once the scooter is in it is possible to put it tight up against the step to help secure it in transit and stop it moving back/forwards as you accelerate/brake, especially if you then put a pad of some sort (our spare wheel was ideal!) on top of the step to fill the gap up to the rear of the unit ... I think that makes sense!

Hubby made a ramp out of some timber and an old fluorescent light fitting cowl which was a flat 'U' shape along it's length (the type that don't have a diffuser on), it came from work when they were refurbishing a laboratory so cost nowt. Downside is that it was heavy, but if we had decided to definitely use a scooter, we'd have got a lighter weight one, or made a better one; you can pick them up on Ebay fairly easily.

The tricky part is getting it in/out, it is possible to use the accelerator to creep it up the ramp, but you have to be careful - if you are going to do this PRACTICE doing it very slowly on your drive first!!!!

Personally, if I was going to definitely take a scooter with me, I'd fit a winch to the floor of the garage, I'd then attach the cable to the scooter somehow and whilst one person winds the winch, the other would guide the scooter up the ramp and into the garage - no danger of it rolling back and you don't have to take the weight of it ... they are very HEAVY to push in especially up the ramp and over the lip of the garage door, no matter how strong you are, it ain't easy! I can't remember what scooter/bike you've got so can't advise if the above would work with yours though.

Fiamma do a range of 'carry moto' ramps/racks for garages, so that's another option to ... at a price, but again Ebay may come up trumps.

http://www.fiammastore.com/Fiamma-Carry-Mot

Thank you all again.

As stated above the Vity maybe the thing, I will chat it over with my wife! I'll also measure the wooden bar that sticks out and the space to the bed and see if it is possible or whether it would be too much hassle.

Suspect it may have to wait until we change van in future. Retire in 3.5 years, so will have a lot more time for pootling about once on a site then. Not this, moving around all the time as breaks are too short. Trouble is that the van has given us more freedom than the caravan (can go further, easier), so then one tries to push the boundaries.

It's a deep thought day off! B-)

Hawcara - 2012-10-18 11:44 AM

Thank you all again.

As stated above the Vity maybe the thing, I will chat it over with my wife! I'll also measure the wooden bar that sticks out and the space to the bed and see if it is possible or whether it would be too much hassle.

Suspect it may have to wait until we change van in future. Retire in 3.5 years, so will have a lot more time for pootling about once on a site then. Not this, moving around all the time as breaks are too short. Trouble is that the van has given us more freedom than the caravan (can go further, easier), so then one tries to push the boundaries.

It's a deep thought day off! B-)

I find Chaussan telling you their vans cannot take a bike rack a little strange, especially as they list a motorcycle rack in their extras list, at least they do in the brochure they gave me at the NEC. The man from the company, who the rep went and found for me was also postive about a bike, especialy carried in the garage. Garage on the new model we like, Welcome 99, was 45" high so will not be a problem to get a bike in.

We have a Flash and they say cannot put it on that model. Welcome are on a Fiat chassis, alko I think and that can take a scooter rack.

There are fittings on the rear for a bicycle rack.

I hope to measure the garage height this weekend, if I remember to take the wife's tape measure! :-D

Picked this up in the alternative magazine, as an alternative to the EZETOW, using the same non-articulating / swivel wheel system -

Alu-star Rolli Trailer, as seen at the recent Dusseldorf show

From what I can make out it does not require a towbar (as the EZETOW does /did) being reliant on two bars that are attached to the chassis members. But unable to determine how it connects / disconnects.

What I did find:- Price €2.032,59

All the info was in Dutch websites, manufactured by SMV metall, NL.

http://www.memo-europe.nl/index.php?route=product/category&path=238_214

"Alu Star Rolli (BiKe Trailer) can be used for transporting Scooters, motors, etc etc.

It can carry up to 600 kg, so the total wil remain under the 750 kg.

Some specs:

• Width ca. 210 cm

• Length of bar ca. 85 cm.

• Height Platform ca. 55 cm.

• Overal width ca. 220 cm.

Also suitable to transport the Piaggio MP3 bike."

I would assume the reason for Chausson saying that Hawcara can't fit a "heavy" scooter rack on their van is because the rear chassis section is probably already just an additional "bolt-on"...which was only intended/designed to support the tail of the body(....and not to take the "localised" jarring and pounding forces of a scooter rack.... :-S )

pepe63 - 2012-10-23 8:24 AM

I would assume the reason for Chausson saying that Hawcara can't fit a "heavy" scooter rack on their van is because the rear chassis section is probably already just an additional "bolt-on"...which was only intended/designed to support the tail of the body(....and not to take the "localised" jarring and pounding forces of a scooter rack.... :-S )

Having examined the 'rear end' of our Chausson Flash 04 when we had it, it is just a bolted on chassis extension, however, what may be possible is to replace this with something a bit more substantial (it is easy to get at) to make it strong/secure enough to have a motorcycle rack attached ... perhaps Hawcara should go and visit a fabrication engineer .... :-S

Thank you for that.

I'm going to take some pics at some point, light and weather depending and send them to Armitage trailers and see what they say.

In all probability, we will end up buying electric bikes next year now and see how we get on with that, (my wife was quite interested in the Tesco ones as mentioned in another post)

Will keep an eye on the forums for people who fit racks to their vans and see which vans are more suitable.

The scooter thing was an afterthought anyway and would have been a nice bonus. If we do end up putting a rack on the back, I will have to change my pcx as that will probably be too heavy. Mel's suggestion of a small Yamaha is good, but it will take some thought in how to fit it in easily.

Thank you all so far :-D

For all you folks that are so sorry that Ezetow have gone,

Here is your chance to purchase one of those brilliant engineered trailers, We have one. If you want it at a great price of only £800!

Brilliant if you only have a small bike unlike us.

If you want one to carry a mobility scooter, large top box or a small motorbike, here is your chance.

Archived