Help to updating my toilet

Rocking Ron

Hi

I have a 14 year old Thetford (c3) bench toilet in my van. And because I suffer with rheumatism in my hands I am finding it difficult to turn the flush/blade opening knob.

I am told that because the toilet is so old no one as come up with an adaptor for the knob.

I therefore wonder if anyone has any idea how I could adapt the knob to make life easer.

Yours in anticipation

Rocking Ron

Ron

If I understand correctly you are saying the handle that closes the blade to seal the smells in is difficult to open and close, if so ours would be difficult also we had arthritis or other mobility problems.

Spraying the blade and mechanism with Thetford seal spray could help.

If the problem persists you maybe need to find a friend or neighbour who is a bit of a 'bodger' and see if they can extend the handle for you so it gives you easier access/more leverage which ever is the problem. It should not be too difficult a job for someone who has worked in mechanical/electrical or similar engineering  area.

Cliffy - 2012-10-20 9:22 PM

If the problem persists you maybe need to find a friend or neighbour who is a bit of a 'bodger' and see if they can extend the handle for you so it gives you easier access/more leverage which ever is the problem. It should not be too difficult a job for someone who has worked in mechanical/electrical or similar engineering  area.

Or, if you don't know anyone who is a bit of a 'bodger' then try getting in touch with Remap who are a group of volunteers who specialize in 'bodging' !!!

Keith.

Hi Ron

Looking at the Leisurespares website, shows a round knob for flushing

http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/caravan/water/product_30058/Flush_Knob_Assembly_for_Thetford_toilet_C2_C3_and_C4_-_White.aspx

Depending on how much free space there is between the knob & the bench, it may be possible to fit a "ring spanner shaped" bar / lever to operate the flush, by cutting away one of the recess's of the side on the knob to allow the bar to protrude through with the "ring" accomodating the spindle.

Guest pelmetman
I suspect your cassette is like ours with a large round knob on the right hand side to turn?................I have noticed ours has become stiff at times :-S.......................I'm wondering whether we're due a seal change after 22 years :-S

flicka - 2012-10-20 10:11 PMHi Ron Looking at the Leisurespares website, shows a round knob for flushinghttp://www.leisureshopdirect.com/caravan/water/product_30058/Flush_Knob_Assembly_for_Thetford_toilet_C2_C3_and_C4_-_White.aspxDepending on how much free space there is between the knob & the bench, it may be possible to fit a "ring spanner shaped" bar / lever to operate the flush, by cutting away one of the recess's of the side on the knob to allow the bar to protrude through with the "ring" accomodating the spindle.

Flika

Ron sounds like he still needs a local 'Bodger'

I assume your toilet is the same as the one in the first picture below.

Perhaps attaching one of these hooks and then putting a 'blob' (small ball of some sort) on the hook part for you to grip would do the trick?

B&Q Small hook link

Or even something like this - when the handle is 'locked' it would then become a nice 'lever' instead.

B&Q window handle link

toilet.jpg.a3d3d3d97b89f3e4e995403ca2284fed.jpg

hook.jpg.673789c704afc0cbcdd9129909084398.jpg

446114265_windowhandle.jpg.237b5fbd1616a6161a98a9705c0d5661.jpg

I have found that the effect of Thetfords silcon lubricant is much improved if the blade is thoroughly cleaned and allowed to dry off and a couple or more coats of the lubricant applied and left to dry right off before use. I did mine last spring and its still easy to operate.

I made up a tool for a disabled owner some years ago. It was cut from a piece of 3/8th ply

thetford knob key.doc

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry, Rocking Ron, my reply did not relate to your problem. But, the problem I had, similar to yours, was due to elongation in the shaft. Oiling it helps, when the oil dries off, problem returns. I had to replace the cassette in the end. Replacment Cassettes are now available with added bottles of cleaners.

Archived